This work is 90% tech and 10% equipment

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We all have our particular situation in life. Sometimes we may get slammed and
basically almost knocked out! Michael is to be admired for his ingenuity and working
with what he has . It seems he has improved his equipment to where he can leave
stationary on most jobs . Improved vacuum, pump performance and added some heat.
So Michael keep it up my friend as you do not quit and for that reason you will be
successful.
Many of us started in this business with crappy portables and then upgraded as we
could. As far as extractors they all squirt and suck just some suck harder and squirt
harder. This makes our jobs easier. Sounds like Michael is limited because of his bad
back but keeps moving at his pace. One tough hombre!
Great post Jan.

Feb 7, 2012
colorado
Real Name
kacy williams
Business Location
United States
I worked for a cabinet maker for about 6 months 25 years ago and he used to say "You can give a guy the best tools in the world and it won't make him a good carpenter", sometimes they just don't get it. So many people have built great businesses starting off with portables and it's all because they CARE about the job they do. It certainly makes it harder to get your foot in the door, but once you do, your customers will stay with you. Then, when you are able to get better "tools" it will just be easier for you because the quality has always been there.....you can't buy "character" and that is really what ends up separating the good from the bad.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I worked for a cabinet maker for about 6 months 25 years ago and he used to say "You can give a guy the best tools in the world and it won't make him a good carpenter", sometimes they just don't get it. So many people have built great businesses starting off with portables and it's all because they CARE about the job they do. It certainly makes it harder to get your foot in the door, but once you do, your customers will stay with you. Then, when you are able to get better "tools" it will just be easier for you because the quality has always been there.....you can't buy "character" and that is really what ends up separating the good from the bad.
Amen brother!

Nov 6, 2015
Real Name
Kacy Lewis
Glad to see you are doing well and challenging yourself. I will note 1 thing, with my previous business I went out and spent tons of money on nice equipment and I didn't have any work! so I was paying payments on all that fancy equipment people told me I had to have for nearly half a year before I landed any decent work.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Think i have found you can't convince a veteran the sky is blue....
Too set in their ways.

But new people enter this industry every day and it is our job to warn them what they are getting into.
After that its none of our business really what you do with your life.
Couldn't agree more. They can be a stubborn bunch.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
That's great your makin it work. Good for you. Personally I would much rather finance a monster truckmount and clean twice as fast with better results for more money.
We are in the appearence business.... This includes your equipment aswell.......
Jeff @ SCC

Hitman

Sep 14, 2008
Pensacola, FL
www.Hitmanadvertising.com
Real Name
John Braun
Business Location
United States
I agree. You can clean and make money with VLM, Porty, TM, Von Schrader, Dry Powder, or whatever you want to use.

The equipment isn't that important.

Another concept is how UNIMPORTANT the tech side of the business is... Marketing and Management accounts for 80% of your success rate (maybe more). Only 20% of your success is measured on how well you clean.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
A good new or used cylindrical brush scrubber
Is absolutely amazing beyond a rotary
And it is a back saver.
Every part of upgrading your equipment is a back saver.
You can however purchase a truckmount and upgrade it for very little $$.....not much more than a portable & scrubber.
Add fuel heat and a zipper wand and one owner with a truckmount can out clean 3 portables.

Mijaalga

Jan 31, 2018
Real Name
Michael Gallacher
I agree with the 90% tech and 10% equip. But you do need both. I run the following and do better then some truck mounts out there. Maybe because the knowledge isn't there, but this is it;

Mytee ltd5 (runs out of SUV upright)
Generator to run two cords from mytee 5
Hot turbo heater
Air hog (also has apo)
No tanks, utilize apo and af (toilet/faucet)
*keep 25 gallon of water in case
Oreck orbiter (my 175). Does great!!!!
Water otter for tile and grout, hard surface
Wands, tile spinner, counter spinner, upholstery tool, stair tool, broom, vacuum, rake, etc
Chemical ( carry larger portions what I need for day and smaller portions of other)
Towels, rags, etc
Brochures, invoices, biz cards.

Plus as back up in case mytee 5 goes down I have water otter and air hog to finish a job.

It's the personal touch, customers like the idea of a custom set up that is a little different for every home. Sometimes I use some, sometimes I use all!!!!

My set up with vac booster I can run 150 feet of hose easy and not lose anything. Haven't tried more than that.

And yes it all fits very comfortable in the SUV. Love the flexibility of using such a system.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I agree with the 90% tech and 10% equip. But you do need both. I run the following and do better then some truck mounts out there. Maybe because the knowledge isn't there, but this is it;

Mytee ltd5 (runs out of SUV upright)
Generator to run two cords from mytee 5
Hot turbo heater
Air hog (also has apo)
No tanks, utilize apo and af (toilet/faucet)
*keep 25 gallon of water in case
Oreck orbiter (my 175). Does great!!!!
Water otter for tile and grout, hard surface
Wands, tile spinner, counter spinner, upholstery tool, stair tool, broom, vacuum, rake, etc
Chemical ( carry larger portions what I need for day and smaller portions of other)
Towels, rags, etc
Brochures, invoices, biz cards.

Plus as back up in case mytee 5 goes down I have water otter and air hog to finish a job.

It's the personal touch, customers like the idea of a custom set up that is a little different for every home. Sometimes I use some, sometimes I use all!!!!

My set up with vac booster I can run 150 feet of hose easy and not lose anything. Haven't tried more than that.

And yes it all fits very comfortable in the SUV. Love the flexibility of using such a system.
Basically, you have built a Truckmount.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Aranis,
Boy, and I wondered if my machine was good enough!!! I jsut bought a brand new EDIC Galaxy with 500 adjustable PSI and twin 3 stage Amtek motors. Also came with heat. Im doing small jobs starting out and man you should see the water coming out of this thing. FILTHY!!!!
I also picked up a used but in like new condition Rotovac 360i for 1200.00 and free shipping. Im not even sure how to use it yet. Been playing with it and learning and getting the hang of gliding it around on the carpet.
You are right! Its all about if you care about what you are doing. My dad taught me to do the best at whatever you do.
Im an engineer by trade for 30 years, and wanted to do something different on the side. So far I love it! Making ugly carpet look clean and pretty again is alot of fun!
But im sweating alot using this wand...............LOL. Im learning everything I can and studying everything I can.
Rob is really helpful and I love this site. Good luck coming back!!!

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I have seen a few post on here of people thinking of buying a low end porty and worried about performance. I want you all to take a few things into condsideration.

After my partenr drug up and took our amtex I was left with little options. I had an old porty that stock came with one 2 stage vac and a 100 psi pump. This machine had cost me 50 bucks at a pawn shop and I had planned on upgrading but had not done it. So here I was with only this crap porty and a 360i. I was down....really down.

I did an upholstery job with this machine. It worked well. Yes I had to seriously take my time but it worked. I made 240 on this job. Found 3 stage motors on ebay for 55 each and bought two. Pump seized up but I found someone to give me a 100 psi pump to replace it. I added a 1200 watt heating element for 150. Flat broke again I took the machine out and did a house job. Took freaking forever but customer was very impressed. Made 280 for job with a 50 buck tip on top.

With that money I purchased a auto pump out pump from mytee for like 230 and purchased some toilet plumbing material and made an auto fill. Now I have a machine I routinly run at 75 feet and get fabulous results.

Point is guys and gals, yes we all would love to have a 40hp monster truck mount with 600 cfm and crap but the truth is if you care about your quality you can do a great job with damn near anything. Buy that crap porty. After each job upgrade something. Before you know it you will have a porty you love.
I have seen a few post on here of people thinking of buying a low end porty and worried about performance. I want you all to take a few things into condsideration.

After my partenr drug up and took our amtex I was left with little options. I had an old porty that stock came with one 2 stage vac and a 100 psi pump. This machine had cost me 50 bucks at a pawn shop and I had planned on upgrading but had not done it. So here I was with only this crap porty and a 360i. I was down....really down.

I did an upholstery job with this machine. It worked well. Yes I had to seriously take my time but it worked. I made 240 on this job. Found 3 stage motors on ebay for 55 each and bought two. Pump seized up but I found someone to give me a 100 psi pump to replace it. I added a 1200 watt heating element for 150. Flat broke again I took the machine out and did a house job. Took freaking forever but customer was very impressed. Made 280 for job with a 50 buck tip on top.

With that money I purchased a auto pump out pump from mytee for like 230 and purchased some toilet plumbing material and made an auto fill. Now I have a machine I routinly run at 75 feet and get fabulous results.

Point is guys and gals, yes we all would love to have a 40hp monster truck mount with 600 cfm and crap but the truth is if you care about your quality you can do a great job with damn near anything. Buy that crap porty. After each job upgrade something. Before you know it you will have a porty you love.
So, in cconlusion, you should praise your partner for getting rid of the Amwreck.
Good story, you'll have TM in no time.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Aranis,
Boy, and I wondered if my machine was good enough!!! I jsut bought a brand new EDIC Galaxy with 500 adjustable PSI and twin 3 stage Amtek motors. Also came with heat. Im doing small jobs starting out and man you should see the water coming out of this thing. FILTHY!!!!
I also picked up a used but in like new condition Rotovac 360i for 1200.00 and free shipping. Im not even sure how to use it yet. Been playing with it and learning and getting the hang of gliding it around on the carpet.
You are right! Its all about if you care about what you are doing. My dad taught me to do the best at whatever you do.
Im an engineer by trade for 30 years, and wanted to do something different on the side. So far I love it! Making ugly carpet look clean and pretty again is alot of fun!
But im sweating alot using this wand...............LOL. Im learning everything I can and studying everything I can.
Rob is really helpful and I love this site. Good luck coming back!!!
Your machine will Clean just fine. It will take you longer to do the job but you can do just as good with your equipment as to could with a truckmount.

That being said, make it a goal to eventually move up to a truckmount. A truckmount will increase uour efficiency and allow you to do more work. In the beginning that doesn’t matter but once you get to where you are doing 10 jobs a week consistently it will be time to start moving towards a truckmount. You will be able to do 3 jobs a day in the same amount of time you do 2 jobs with a portable.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Agree we all came to a crossroad when we jumped from a portable to a TM.....
You can do any job in record time....apts., motels, returants, rentals...300' hose runs....skies the limit...
With the right TM

Just added a pumpout that works after trying and failing for many years....
Can save 30 minutes on big jobs, Tile, Commercial...

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Your machine will Clean just fine. It will take you longer to do the job but you can do just as good with your equipment as to could with a truckmount.

That being said, make it a goal to eventually move up to a truckmount. A truckmount will increase uour efficiency and allow you to do more work. In the beginning that doesn’t matter but once you get to where you are doing 10 jobs a week consistently it will be time to start moving towards a truckmount. You will be able to do 3 jobs a day in the same amount of time you do 2 jobs with a portable.
Thank you Todd. Yea I'm happy with it so far. If I can get that much business I will probably buy a truck mount !

Mijaalga

Jan 31, 2018
Real Name
Michael Gallacher
Basically, you have built a Truckmount.
Hey Rob,

Ya I guess, I had a truckmount before, granted used, but a lot of downtime when needs to be repaired. Then when that happens I am reverting to a backup porty anywhere. I am very comfortable with my setup and love it. Very easy to repair and low cost if need be.

On another note rob, love the forums and have gained a lot from them. Thank you!!!!

Latest posts