This work is 90% tech and 10% equipment | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

This work is 90% tech and 10% equipment

Aranis

Mar 28, 2012
Angleton, TX
www.brazoria-carpet-cleaning.co.nr
Real Name
michael ray
Business Location
United States
I have seen a few post on here of people thinking of buying a low end porty and worried about performance. I want you all to take a few things into condsideration.

After my partenr drug up and took our amtex I was left with little options. I had an old porty that stock came with one 2 stage vac and a 100 psi pump. This machine had cost me 50 bucks at a pawn shop and I had planned on upgrading but had not done it. So here I was with only this crap porty and a 360i. I was down....really down.

I did an upholstery job with this machine. It worked well. Yes I had to seriously take my time but it worked. I made 240 on this job. Found 3 stage motors on ebay for 55 each and bought two. Pump seized up but I found someone to give me a 100 psi pump to replace it. I added a 1200 watt heating element for 150. Flat broke again I took the machine out and did a house job. Took freaking forever but customer was very impressed. Made 280 for job with a 50 buck tip on top.

With that money I purchased a auto pump out pump from mytee for like 230 and purchased some toilet plumbing material and made an auto fill. Now I have a machine I routinly run at 75 feet and get fabulous results.

Point is guys and gals, yes we all would love to have a 40hp monster truck mount with 600 cfm and crap but the truth is if you care about your quality you can do a great job with damn near anything. Buy that crap porty. After each job upgrade something. Before you know it you will have a porty you love.

Mr. Esteamy

Jul 9, 2011
California
www.esteamcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Brian Kraut
Business Location
United States
I have seen a few post on here of people thinking of buying a low end porty and worried about performance. I want you all to take a few things into condsideration.

After my partenr drug up and took our amtex I was left with little options. I had an old porty that stock came with one 2 stage vac and a 100 psi pump. This machine had cost me 50 bucks at a pawn shop and I had planned on upgrading but had not done it. So here I was with only this crap porty and a 360i. I was down....really down.

I did an upholstery job with this machine. It worked well. Yes I had to seriously take my time but it worked. I made 240 on this job. Found 3 stage motors on ebay for 55 each and bought two. Pump seized up but I found someone to give me a 100 psi pump to replace it. I added a 1200 watt heating element for 150. Flat broke again I took the machine out and did a house job. Took freaking forever but customer was very impressed. Made 280 for job with a 50 buck tip on top.

With that money I purchased a auto pump out pump from mytee for like 230 and purchased some toilet plumbing material and made an auto fill. Now I have a machine I routinly run at 75 feet and get fabulous results.

Point is guys and gals, yes we all would love to have a 40hp monster truck mount with 600 cfm and crap but the truth is if you care about your quality you can do a great job with damn near anything. Buy that crap porty. After each job upgrade something. Before you know it you will have a porty you love.
That's great your makin it work. Good for you. Personally I would much rather finance a monster truckmount and clean twice as fast with better results for more money.

Aranis

Mar 28, 2012
Angleton, TX
Real Name
michael ray
Business Location
United States
Not all of us have the proper credit or finacial backing. I restarted this company because this was my father and I compnay for many years before he passed and we sold everything to pay his medical and then his burial. Then I got devorced, threw my back out and had to figure out something. Restarting this seemed like a good idea and while its slow right now...only been going again for a few months...I know I will be fine with porty til i can pay cash for TM.

sandstormli

Dec 20, 2008
NY, long island/Lindenhurst
beyondmaids.com
Real Name
Roman Majda
Business Location
United States
I remember the thread back then when all this happened and nice to see you r actually making it work, good for you.
If you made it work from what you had there is no doubt a very bright future ahead of you !!! Most people here including myself would just damn quit and get a job !!! (At least temporarily)

Aranis

Mar 28, 2012
Angleton, TX
Real Name
michael ray
Business Location
United States
I remember the tread back then when all this happened and nice to see you r actually making it work, good for you.
If you made it work from what you had there is no dount a very bright future ahead of you !!! Most people here including myself would just damn quit and get a job !!! (At least temporarily)

I would likely of gotten myself a part time job to go with this but with as messed up as my back is i would like to not press the issue. At least with carpet cleaning I can take my time and by making the porty good enough and there being a lack of 3 story building where I live i can leave that heavy thing downstairs lol. Love being able to go my own pace.. granted thats still a strong hustle but when my back is acting up I can slow down.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Congrats Michael. Like Vince Lombardi said "it's not how many times you get knocked down that counts, it's how many times you get back up". Keep rocking it and if there is anything we can do for you don't hesitate to ask.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States

Good job hanging in there,:) it's been my experience that a 150 psi pump will make a noticeable difference over the 100.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I would change one thing about the title. I think the chemistry and the knowledge on how to use it, is just as important as the equipment. But a knowledgeable tech is always the most important component.
Good point Bill. But he might have meant that the 90% tech comment included the tech having proper chemistry knowledge. Just saying. :)

Reactions: Kaden

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Think i have found you can't convince a veteran the sky is blue....
Too set in their ways.

But new people enter this industry every day and it is our job to warn them what they are getting into.
After that its none of our business really what you do with your life.

Reactions: Ray Thomas

Aranis

Mar 28, 2012
Angleton, TX
Real Name
michael ray
Business Location
United States
As for chemicals I use a hot prespray mix of bio break /citrus, flex /citrus and dirt chaser. Then use Envirex as my extracttion chemical. I have not ran into a job yet that didnt look great when I left with those chemicals.

Reactions: rob allen

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Tech is most important. However - within reason - the better equipment you have the higher profit per hour you will make. The trick is cost accounting your equipment expenses to come up with your true profit.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: rob allen

Jeff Marek

Aug 24, 2012
Real Name
Jeff Marek
Business Location
United States
When your back completely and all is good remember to look back and never forget, it's a great motivator believe me!!!

mathis1

Apr 9, 2011
Real Name
john mathis
Business Location
United States
Aranis this industry has always been about skill not equipment, truth be told guys come and go every year cause they believe that because they have the biggest and baddest machine they are the bomb, but in my 24 years I cant count the times I've taken a customer from the guy in the wrapped truck with the bells and whistles. sometimes with just a 175 and a good deo. its all about the skill always has been

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
We all have our particular situation in life. Sometimes we may get slammed and
basically almost knocked out! Michael is to be admired for his ingenuity and working
with what he has . It seems he has improved his equipment to where he can leave
stationary on most jobs . Improved vacuum, pump performance and added some heat.
So Michael keep it up my friend as you do not quit and for that reason you will be
successful.
Many of us started in this business with crappy portables and then upgraded as we
could. As far as extractors they all squirt and suck just some suck harder and squirt
harder. This makes our jobs easier. Sounds like Michael is limited because of his bad
back but keeps moving at his pace. One tough hombre!

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
What an inspiration.

I can personally relate to your situation. I currently clean with this.

I get things clean. That's all that's expected of me.

Grant

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app