This one may go to court and I'm not getting involved. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

This one may go to court and I'm not getting involved.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
So I get called out to a house from a long time property manager who wants a estaminte if it can be cleaned .
I was told its 2 yr old carpet and they moved because the carpet is moldy .
the carpet was pissted on with bleach and ink stains as well as the dreaded orange stains about. This was way gone .
I explained to her 6 areas none of it was worth cleaning. this was rented for $2700 4 bd room home .
she wants a estaminte saying its uncleanable.
I dont need to go to court for her or even want to be in the middle of this one . I did say I would give her one saying its uncleanable but now I changed my mind and want to stay clear of it completely .
Any Thoughts guys. ?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Ive done this several times for several different pm companies ive never been called to court. Most times they just need to justify replacement to the actual homeowner they manage it for. If it does go to court normally the pm company will bring pics of it to show the judge, 20+years ive never been asked to be in court for a carpet

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I usually write up the estimate and state that there are stains that are not removable and that I recommend replacement. There’s been a few times the case has gone to court with the PM suing the tenant but I’ve never been called into court.

If you are asked to appear in court make sure the PM knows up front that you are acting as a carpet inspector and your fee to testify in court is $XXX. The PM will add that fee to the amount they are suing for. This is actually a common practice.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Once again I am in complete agreement with Todd. I just wish he could spell is name with one simple D I get so tired of wasting Ds just to type his name. Now that I think about it I could have written Todd, with two Ds for the rest of my life and not typed as much as this silly (but very humorous) rant cost me.

• Haha
Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Jaskew

Apr 18, 2018
Oklahoma
Real Name
Jeffrey askew
When I get situations like this it is easy to just take pics with your phone take some mental or written notes. When you get back to the shop at the end of the day take 30 minutes and use "google docs" it's free and easy to use. Put your logo at the top paste the pics then simply type what you saw and what the situation is. Then type your name and phone number at the bottom. If your customer is the pm they depend on you for help you provide. Bottom line is they have to get the property back livable. Don't go into who did or opinions. K.I.S. keep it simple what is where and what you can or can't do about and what the result would be( such as carpet permanently dyed). You can charge them for it or not ( i don't it's good for relations ). Property managers have budgets and they have to justify going over budget.

Reactions: J20770

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
If it was a first time customer I'd say stay out of it. But a long time property manager? Hook a sista up. These little things go a long way with people.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
No one is going to actually call you into court to testify about some gross carpet. Haha. Wouldn't that be a boring episode of CSI? Anyways, they might just want something in writing like others have said here in case they do go to court.

burbuja2

Mar 24, 2006
Metairie, LA
Real Name
Michael R. Zembik
Business Location
United States
I usually write up the estimate and state that there are stains that are not removable and that I recommend replacement. There’s been a few times the case has gone to court with the PM suing the tenant but I’ve never been called into court.

If you are asked to appear in court make sure the PM knows up front that you are acting as a carpet inspector and your fee to testify in court is $XXX. The PM will add that fee to the amount they are suing for. This is actually a common practice.
I am an attorney and Todd is correct. You are only compelled to testify as to facts. If the property manager wants your opinion, then you are an expert witness and you are entitled to charge the party calling you for your testimony.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
I am an attorney and Todd is correct. You are only compelled to testify as to facts. If the property manager wants your opinion, then you are an expert witness and you are entitled to charge the party calling you for your testimony.
Attorney by day, carpet cleaner by night?

Reactions: Tcoulter

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Just write your estimate documenting the age, soil level and damage with pictures. Explain that the damaged areas can not be corrected with cleaning or it would be to costly to restore based on condition for the cost of replacement. Always reference what your stating as "In my professional opinion". No problems and good business.

Reactions: Joe cool