Thinking of Building a Custom Portable | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Thinking of Building a Custom Portable

viking350

Oct 26, 2019
Real Name
Mark Olsen
Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I'm not in the carpet cleaning industry, however, I have a desire to build a portable unit. I have some idea for quickly switching between parallel and series vacuum via push button... thought it would be neat to try. I have engineering background but don't really know much about these cleaning units (I really lack experience). Hopefully, I can find some help on here from people that know what they are talking about.

I have a ton of questions, but I'll start with one related to electrical... I'm just now learning about the amperage requirements for these machine and how you may need 2 or more cords to run it. I see a lot of different products but I'm looking for something specific. I realize this may be a dumb question, but I just can't find the product I'm looking for (if it even exists).

Let's say you want to run multiple components on 2 cords(two 20amp breakers, for example)... so basically, you have 40 amps to work with. You hook up two components on the first cord and the draw is 21 amps... so it trips the breaker. However, you hook two different components to the second cord and are only 15 amps (so it has 4 amps left over per se). In short, you are only using 36 amps (of the 40 available) but the system won't work.

That said, is there a way/controller/device that can evenly distribute the amperage from BOTH cords to where it's needed? So all 40 amps can be used? In other words, your two cords hook into "some device" on the extractor and from that device, the amperage is distributed to all 4 components where it's needed. Sorry if this post is confusing, I wrote in a rush. Thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I'm not in the carpet cleaning industry, however, I have a desire to build a portable unit. I have some idea for quickly switching between parallel and series vacuum via push button... thought it would be neat to try. I have engineering background but don't really know much about these cleaning units (I really lack experience). Hopefully, I can find some help on here from people that know what they are talking about.

I have a ton of questions, but I'll start with one related to electrical... I'm just now learning about the amperage requirements for these machine and how you may need 2 or more cords to run it. I see a lot of different products but I'm looking for something specific. I realize this may be a dumb question, but I just can't find the product I'm looking for (if it even exists).

Let's say you want to run multiple components on 2 cords(two 20amp breakers, for example)... so basically, you have 40 amps to work with. You hook up two components on the first cord and the draw is 21 amps... so it trips the breaker. However, you hook two different components to the second cord and are only 15 amps (so it has 4 amps left over per se). In short, you are only using 36 amps (of the 40 available) but the system won't work.

That said, is there a way/controller/device that can evenly distribute the amperage from BOTH cords to where it's needed? So all 40 amps can be used? In other words, your two cords hook into "some device" on the extractor and from that device, the amperage is distributed to all 4 components where it's needed. Sorry if this post is confusing, I wrote in a rush. Thank you.
Just because its a 20a circuit you cant use all of that. 80% so you have 16 to work with.keep in mind start up, vacs free spinning draw more amps. 17 to 18 as far as ide go. But you will find issues in homes. Or burn outlets.

Last edited:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
There are countless threads here of machines that guys have built themselves.

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
This machine switches series to parallel by just repositioning the U tube at the back . I dont think the extra complexity of adding actuators and electronics is necessary ... but it might be cool to try it .
You might not be gaining much or anything in overall performance between the two also .

Attachments

viking350

Oct 26, 2019
Real Name
Mark Olsen
Thanks for the responses... I'm sure they have similar products. I have some parts and an old unit laying around so figure I could put something cool together for much less than buying new.
Just saw a unit that has a heat exchanger that uses the exhaust from the vacuums - pretty ingenious... people think of everything!

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the responses... I'm sure they have similar products. I have some parts and an old unit laying around so figure I could put something cool together for much less than buying new.
Just saw a unit that has a heat exchanger that uses the exhaust from the vacuums - pretty ingenious... people think of everything!
why do you have a desire to build a portable unit?

Want to clean some carpet or invent he next best thing? You have engineering background right?

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Hell just buy the mytee air hog and be done with it!!! Plenty of power and the price is good.

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

viking350

Oct 26, 2019
Real Name
Mark Olsen
why do you have a desire to build a portable unit?

Want to clean some carpet or invent he next best thing? You have engineering background right?
I have an old carpet extractor that I use a lot - in the house, on our service trucks (different industry), family uses it too. I recently had to change out the vacuum motor and upgraded the pump... I guess during that process, I had some ideas to improve it further. Of course, that is if time permits (which it probably wont). In that case, I'll probably just end up buying a new one - maybe the air hog as suggested.

WESTEX CLEANING

Sep 2, 2019
Real Name
Michael Olson

viking350

Oct 26, 2019
Real Name
Mark Olsen
In my opinion instead of wasting your time building a machine I would go with this https://shop.truckmountforums.com/products/nautilus-1200psi-3-stage-vacuums-w-hose-package?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5Tll7e95QIVgobACh0h2ATwEAAYAyAAEgKffPD_BwE I own the same one and it does a great job lots of vac power and 1200 psi for tile too get your self a 360i for carpet and SX15 for tile and a good wand love tile master and robs Secret formula
Normally, I would agree... BUT I have an old unit and some parts laying around and some 'ideas' floating around my head. Granted, I'm sure it's all been thought of already, but there's still a certain satisfaction to building something yourself. That said, I'm realizing the project will probably take more time than I can spare so I may end up just buying one off the net.

I've seen that extractor you mentioned - very nice and price is not so bad. Question: I'm not sure how smart it is, but I use mine on Spanish tile. What PSI is good for that (with just a basic tile wand?). Is 500PSI enough? Thanks.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
Honestly, the pump and vac motors are not that important. You can get further working on wand and technique.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States

Talking about this set up.

viking350

Oct 26, 2019
Real Name
Mark Olsen
Talking about this set up.

That's some pretty wild stuff... I made a quick design using 2 low voltage actuators to immediately switch from parallel to series ...plus some other tweaks to air flow chamber and pump configuration that I think would be useful. However, as others have mentioned, it might be better just to buy what's already available than to spend time building. Thanks.