Thinking about starting a business! Need help!

Coltlane

Jun 27, 2018
Real Name
Colton lane
Hey guys!
A little background about me! I am 24 years old and live in Tulsa Oklahoma! My dad has owned a carpet cleaning business for almost 10 years and has been successful! I’ve been thinking about starting up my own van and machine! My dad said he would give me some of his overflow work and that help me out until I get a solid clientele base!

Only problem is my current job is hard labor and by the time I get off I’m to wore out to want to clean carpets but I have a huge passion for it and love doing it! That being said I thought about jumping into this full time! My personal bills are only $1,100 a month!

Could you guys give me some advice on what I should do?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Well, if your dad is willing to send you enough of his overflow to bring in at least your minimum monthly needs, then go for it! You can probably be doublng it within a couple months, asuming the quality of your work is good.

Other option might be to make cleaning a weekend job for now, doing it just on your days off, or see if you can go part time with your current job, maybe work it 3 days a week and do carpets the other two.

Reactions: smartcarpetcare

Coltlane

Jun 27, 2018
Real Name
Colton lane
Well, if your dad is willing to send you enough of his overflow to bring in at least your minimum monthly needs, then go for it! You can probably be doublng it within a couple months, asuming the quality of your work is good.

Other option might be to make cleaning a weekend job for now, doing it just on your days off, or see if you can go part time with your current job, maybe work it 3 days a week and do carpets the other two.
My goal was to do it on the weekends or try to go part time but im just so excited to start cleaning! Been doing a lot of research on advertising right now and maybe some different services to offer later down the rode!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Depending on how much you love or hate your current job maybe you could quit that job and find a part time job that will allow you more time to build your business. If you only need a couple thousand a month you should be able to do that pretty easy working a part time job and then cleaning carpet. Even if you only worked 20 hours a week at $10 per hour that will give you $800 a month after taxes. Add a couple carpet jobs a week and your minimum expenses are covered.

Then with all the extra time you will have hit the street and start building your business.

Here’s some things I posted in another thread last week that you can do to start building your business, it’s kind of long but maybe you can use some of the ideas:

So where to get customers from? The first thing I recommend is deciding on your company name and logo. Then get some good quality business cards made. Have some shirts embroidered with your company name & logo. Get a website and make a Facebook page for your business. Have some brochures made that tells about your company and the services you offer. Once you have done all this you are ready to go out and start selling.

Some guys go door to door residential but I think your time will be better spent going to commercial accounts. Look up all the property managers in your area and go introduce yourself to them. The same goes for realtors. Realtors may only give you a dozen jobs per year but they can also be a good referral source once they see your good work. Property managers (rental homes) Can give you anywhere from a couple to a dozen or more homes per month. I personally like working for property managers, houses are usually empty and I can clean them at my convenience. About half the work I do is for property managers.

One thing with property managers, and with everyone for that matter, is DON’T GO CHEAP!! There are property managers out there that will call you up saying “give me a deal on this job and I’ll give you a lot of work” I used to fall for that and I’d discount my service for them and never even hear from them again, or even worse I they would call again expecting cheap prices. Anyway, IF I give any discount to a property manager it’s only after I see volume work from them, never on the first job I do for them. There are property managers out there that will try to get you to work for $5 to $10 per room. Dont even waste your time with them. Here where I live I’m charging $40 per room (up to 200 sq ft) on residential and I give my property managers a 5% discount if they give me multiple jobs per month so that’s $38 per room.

Also be prepared to wait up to 30 days to be paid on rentals. Some of my property managers pay within a few days and others send one big check per month for all the work I’ve done.

I’ve stayed away from apartments. Most are cheap only wanting to pay $30-40 per unit. Apartments also take longer to pay. I hear of a lot of guys waiting 90 days to be paid on apartment jobs. Some guys do nothing but apartments and have built a good business from it, I’ve personally chosen not to go that route.

In addition to property managers go sell your services to commercial office buildings commercial offices can actually be a good source to pick up residential jobs. When ever I clean an office building I leave one of these on each chair. Usually I’ll get several calls from doing this.

7501719C-3F88-4750-8EA7-747E80727036.jpeg

Also you need to keep track of all your customers. I use QuickBooks Online to keep track of everything. Use your customer database to re-market to your prior customers. I like to send out postcards every 3-4 months to all my prior customers.

Also, at the end of every job give every customer 5 business cards and ASK them to hand them out to their friends. You will be surprised how well this works.

I’ve been in business for myself for seven years now and I’m to the point that I spend very little on advertising. My business pretty much all comes from repeat and referral business.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. These are just some of the things that have worked for me. Hopefully you can use some of this while building your own business.

Coltlane

Jun 27, 2018
Real Name
Colton lane
Depending on how much you love or hate your current job maybe you could quit that job and find a part time job that will allow you more time to build your business. If you only need a couple thousand a month you should be able to do that pretty easy working a part time job and then cleaning carpet. Even if you only worked 20 hours a week at $10 per hour that will give you $800 a month after taxes. Add a couple carpet jobs a week and your minimum expenses are covered.

Then with all the extra time you will have hit the street and start building your business.

Here’s some things I posted in another thread last week that you can do to start building your business, it’s kind of long but maybe you can use some of the ideas:

So where to get customers from? The first thing I recommend is deciding on your company name and logo. Then get some good quality business cards made. Have some shirts embroidered with your company name & logo. Get a website and make a Facebook page for your business. Have some brochures made that tells about your company and the services you offer. Once you have done all this you are ready to go out and start selling.

Some guys go door to door residential but I think your time will be better spent going to commercial accounts. Look up all the property managers in your area and go introduce yourself to them. The same goes for realtors. Realtors may only give you a dozen jobs per year but they can also be a good referral source once they see your good work. Property managers (rental homes) Can give you anywhere from a couple to a dozen or more homes per month. I personally like working for property managers, houses are usually empty and I can clean them at my convenience. About half the work I do is for property managers.

One thing with property managers, and with everyone for that matter, is DON’T GO CHEAP!! There are property managers out there that will call you up saying “give me a deal on this job and I’ll give you a lot of work” I used to fall for that and I’d discount my service for them and never even hear from them again, or even worse I they would call again expecting cheap prices. Anyway, IF I give any discount to a property manager it’s only after I see volume work from them, never on the first job I do for them. There are property managers out there that will try to get you to work for $5 to $10 per room. Dont even waste your time with them. Here where I live I’m charging $40 per room (up to 200 sq ft) on residential and I give my property managers a 5% discount if they give me multiple jobs per month so that’s $38 per room.

Also be prepared to wait up to 30 days to be paid on rentals. Some of my property managers pay within a few days and others send one big check per month for all the work I’ve done.

I’ve stayed away from apartments. Most are cheap only wanting to pay $30-40 per unit. Apartments also take longer to pay. I hear of a lot of guys waiting 90 days to be paid on apartment jobs. Some guys do nothing but apartments and have built a good business from it, I’ve personally chosen not to go that route.

In addition to property managers go sell your services to commercial office buildings commercial offices can actually be a good source to pick up residential jobs. When ever I clean an office building I leave one of these on each chair. Usually I’ll get several calls from doing this.

View attachment 78438

Also you need to keep track of all your customers. I use QuickBooks Online to keep track of everything. Use your customer database to re-market to your prior customers. I like to send out postcards every 3-4 months to all my prior customers.

Also, at the end of every job give every customer 5 business cards and ASK them to hand them out to their friends. You will be surprised how well this works.

I’ve been in business for myself for seven years now and I’m to the point that I spend very little on advertising. My business pretty much all comes from repeat and referral business.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. These are just some of the things that have worked for me. Hopefully you can use some of this while building your own business.
What’s the average you spend monthly on advertising?
My friend owns a carpet cleaning business and says he averages about $800 a month but I know my dad doesn’t spend near as much but he has been in business longer

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
What’s the average you spend monthly on advertising?
My friend owns a carpet cleaning business and says he averages about $800 a month but I know my dad doesn’t spend near as much but he has been in business longer

I spent about $1000 for the year last year. That includes my website, some Facebook advertising, and mailers. The mailers are my biggest cost. Also realize just about all my business is from property managers, repeats, and referrals so I’m not having to spend much on advertising.

Reactions: ACP

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I’ve always believed that great customer service will get you far more business than any amount of money spent trying to get more customers. The next highest priority is having the very very best products and equipment you can afford.
Them two things alone will get you more work than any advertising you will do.

Reactions: Anderson

Coltlane

Jun 27, 2018
Real Name
Colton lane
I’ve always believed that great customer service will get you far more business than any amount of money spent trying to get more customers. The next highest priority is having the very very best products and equipment you can afford.
Them two things alone will get you more work than any advertising you will do.
I just have this gut feeling I need to bite the bullet and start This business I have been helping my dad for years and been really researching it the past few weeks mainly hours reading on this website! My goal is to prove to my dad I am capable of running a business so maybe he will eventually hand it down to me

teaman

Jul 5, 2018
Indiana
www.tummyteatox.net
Real Name
Nathan
Business Location
United States
Well I'll have to agree with Anderson on this. Talk with your dad and get some feedback from him, am sure this has already been done. Reach out to people in your industry that have done what you desire to do. Find out the pros and cons to it all. Do you want a traditional business (another job) or to live free? Good luck regardless.