these chairs and 275' CGD in Dentist waiting room | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

these chairs and 275' CGD in Dentist waiting room

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
This is probably the worst (dirtiest) of the 8 of them.

What would you guys charge for these chairs (with protector) as well as the 275' CGD in the waiting room? With and without protector?

Just want to see what other folks would charge...

1571153308704.jpeg

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
About $250.00 after tax with protector sound fair?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Sounds like too little in my humblest of opinions. I would personally be going more like $500 to $600, but that's based on our area. And the fact that solvent-based upholstery protector is more expensive than carpet protector.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Sounds like too little in my humblest of opinions. I would personally be going more like $500 to $600, but that's based on our area. And the fact that solvent-based upholstery protector is more expensive than carpet protector.
Wow. This was referred to me by a neighbor who expects me to be reasonable and hopefully get more work out it because they apparently know a lot of people.

Regarding protector I would either use maxim advanced for upholstery or more likely advanced with Teflon .

Based on my research either would be a great choice.

Wrong??

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Wow. This was referred to me by a neighbor who expects me to be reasonable and hopefully get more work out it because they apparently know a lot of people.

Regarding protector I would either use maxim advanced for upholstery or more likely advanced with Teflon .

Based on my research either would be a great choice.

Wrong??
Either one would work well, I'd think, both are very popular. As for doing work for a friend in the hopes of more work down the road - that's all well and good, unless you're pricing it so low that you're losing money doing all that work.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
About $250.00 after tax with protector sound fair?
Nobody here, or anywhere else for that matter, can really give you a price. If I followed some of the advice I've seen on here about price I'd either be broke or out of business because I got too many jobs turned down. You have to decide what you need to make a good profit. It sounds like you're a bit low to me too. I'd go a bit higher if protecting both chairs and carpet. Personally I think you're practically giving away that protection at that price and no supplier gives that stuff away as you full well know. Decent protectors are extremely expensive so charge for it. Offer them your highest price and let them decide if they want the protector on all of it or not.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
8 chairs and 275 square feet of carpet for $600? That job would take an hour max? What am I missing here?

Reactions: Select

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Nobody here, or anywhere else for that matter, can really give you a price. If I followed some of the advice I've seen on here about price I'd either be broke or out of business because I got too many jobs turned down. You have to decide what you need to make a good profit. It sounds like you're a bit low to me too. I'd go a bit higher if protecting both chairs and carpet. Personally I think you're practically giving away that protection at that price and no supplier gives that stuff away as you full well know. Decent protectors are extremely expensive so charge for it. Offer them your highest price and let them decide if they want the protector on all of it or not.
Based on dilution rates for advanced with teflon app. 20oz protector would provide 400 sq. ft. coverage for low pile carpet like CGD and the chairs. I estimate 330 sq. ft. for this job but lets use 400 sq. ft because it is nice and round.

so 20oz. protector covers 400sq. ft.

128oz per gallon / 20 oz = 6.4

Lets round up (and maybe after shipping) Advanced with Teflon is $60/gallon

$60/6.4 = $9.375

So rounding up and using neat numbers this job costs me $10 in protector.

For me, at $250 on this job after everything it sounds like its worth the time. Probably take me 1-2 hours.

Please check my math and call me out for being wrong if that is the case!!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I wouldn't be using a carpet protectant on the chairs - I'd use the Advanced on the carpet and the Maxim for Upholstery on the chairs. Upholstery protectant is going to go for around $50 per gallon, and is RTU, so that factors into my figures. And if this really is a job I'd be doing 'for a friend, to drum up business', I'll be pulling out all the stops and giving them sizzle as well as steak (to paraphrase Jim), so that it's the level of service that impresses them and not the price.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
8 chairs and 275 square feet of carpet for $600? That job would take an hour max? What am I missing here?
I wouldn't be using a carpet protectant on the chairs - I'd use the Advanced on the carpet and the Maxim for Upholstery on the chairs. Upholstery protectant is going to go for around $50 per gallon, and is RTU, so that factors into my figures. And if this really is a job I'd be doing 'for a friend, to drum up business', I'll be pulling out all the stops and giving them sizzle as well as steak (to paraphrase Jim), so that it's the level of service that impresses them and not the price.
Maxim Advanced for Upholstery says 1 gallon is good for 24-28 lineal feet or average 4-5 sofas. (Im not sure how they arrive at 4-5 sofas equate to 24-28 lineal foot. Maybe they only protect the arms and top of cushions )

But, if 1 gallon is good for 4-5 sofas I have to imagine something like 25% gallon could protect 8 chairs. If true yes this bumps my cost up a little bit.

It seems a little frustrating reading the protector labels trying to figure correct usage. I think Ive git the advanced with teflon figured out but here is another curveball with Maxim advanced for upholstery.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I love these threads. This happens all to often...

Guy has a good job in the local mill. Likes doing photography on the side. Someone says he is so good that he should go into business for himself. Starts part time and soon is making more money doing photography than what he made at the mill. He has a business and quits his job. Thing is, he knows how to take pictures but knows nothing about running a business.

Now you know why so many businesses fail within the first two years.

So the next time you want to ask *what do you guys charge* think about that.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I love these threads. This happens all to often...

Guy has a good job in the local mill. Likes doing photography on the side. Someone says he is so good that he should go into business for himself. Starts part time and soon is making more money doing photography than what he made at the mill. He has a business and quits his job. Thing is, he knows how to take pictures but knows nothing about running a business.

Now you know why so many businesses fail within the first two years.

So the next time you want to ask *what do you guys charge* think about that.
Im trying to see how I should take your comment since I started this thread..

Have I made it clear that I don’t know how to run a business??

I am learning everyday and have more to learn I know.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
He is being a little condescending, but I think what he is saying is do some market research. Every market is different - my market may charge differently than your market.

So in my mind 275 sq ft of carpet + 8 chairs with protectant is a $350 job in my market. It might easily be $600 in Mama's market.

Business is also charging what you can get. If your schedule is bursting, start charging more. If your schedule is dead, figure out why you aren't reaching customers; because someone is cleaning for them.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You have got some great advice so far. You need to know how much you need to make to pay yourself right, keep the lights on, business upkeep and make a percentage of gross sales as profit. This hourly/daily/weekly/monthly number (whatever makes it easier for you to track) will make it easier to bid your time appropriately. I track daily sales of both Van's and know at a glance where we are at. It is possible to be to busy to be profitable. Leaving just enough time in your schedule for lucrative add ons available at virtually every job for the asking can make your hourly go up the most with less windshield time, setup and breakdown.

Reactions: Smtwn janitorial

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
my point is simply this.

If someone says 250 and someone says 600, how does that help you?

The first function of Management is Planning. Most businesses just dont take the time to make critical decisions (like how much to charge). There is an excellent post on this board somewhere on how to determine your price structure.

The turnover in carpet cleaners in this area is about 8-10 percent per year. So how many are still in business in 10 years? And why so high?

They dont take the time to Plan.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
my point is simply this.

If someone says 250 and someone says 600, how does that help you?

The first function of Management is Planning. Most businesses just dont take the time to make critical decisions (like how much to charge). There is an excellent post on this board somewhere on how to determine your price structure.

The turnover in carpet cleaners in this area is about 8-10 percent per year. So how many are still in business in 10 years? And why so high?

They dont take the time to Plan.
I hear you sir. And I do believe in planning. I also am seeing now firsthand that somethings in business you learn as you go.

In other words, it may not always be possible to plan for everything especially if you haven't even done some things yourself first.

(EDIT: choosing a business I know Sh!t about to start could be the problem LOL)

I worked in business, have a business degree and I think because this is my first real business on my own I am seeing what I described first hand.

Or my business is revealing incompetencies I have that I thought I didn't have. Either way, someone determined to learn can't be stopped for long.

At least that is what I believe!

Im just trying to figure this out as I go, do the best I can for people, and run a profitable business. I have my work cut out for me.

And I appreciate you taking time to offer your perspective. And everyone else. Thank you.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I usually start at $28 per chair but can go as much as $45
but by the photo Id charge $28 each

Protector
depends
I have one which is not extreme
that is at $15 per chair

I have a more bullet proof protector but thats at $60 per chair

Carpet is different
I usually start at $0.55 but can go as much as $1.50 per sq ft for VLM

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I usually start at $28 per chair but can go as much as $45
but by the photo Id charge $28 each

Protector
depends
I have one which is not extreme
that is at $15 per chair

I have a more bullet proof protector but thats at $60 per chair

Carpet is different
I usually start at $0.55 but can go as much as $1.50 per sq ft for VLM
Wow Great for you man.

Typically I would think VLM gets priced below HWE but in your case it seems like could be higher.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
If I had a dollar for every time someone claimed that
If someone starts talking like that you need to switch the conversation by talking feature benifit or fishing or ask them for business marketing advise, or throw it back in their face. Tell them you can get them a ton of new clients and know a lot of people so your gonna charge them double but you will send them clients so it's all good right?

If they are but heads and still want to focus on price after you try to divert just tell them what they want to hear say: " I am going to hook you up because I know we can send business to each other, usually I would charge 325$ for the cleaning and another 150$ for protectant, but for you Im gonna do the cleaning for 185$ and the protectant for 85$, I have a slot open this evening at 6pm is it you I will be meeting or the front desk lady?

Truth is your pricing seems fine man, you calculated it out, you know your expenses and what your time is worth, you know your gonna get taxed 30%ish on your dollar, and sounds like you know your chemical costs more than any sucessfull carpet cleaner I know. Go with your gut, close the deal and move on to the first referral out of ten they are gonna give you before you start.

The guys who make it in this biz focus on sales not which out of 10 protectors to use per job. Just pick the one you think will benefit all parties best and stand behind it. Get a 1 quiver killer. You got this bro

Last edited: