Thermostat issues.

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States
I have a Chemtex 20 hp TM with a prodigy adjustable thermostat that recently stopped keeping tempature at desired heat (heat is rising). The thermostat is fairly new, but when I pulled the probe out, it appeared rusty. Will cleaning it with CLR fix issue? Or is there something else I could look at?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Cleaning it is definitely cheaper than replacing it. I just had to replace mine because, when the temp. touched the set needle, it stuck to it and kept dumping the water into my waste tank. So I just replaced mine. But yours seems to have some interference which might help if you clean it

Reactions: LeeRoy

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States
Thanks Matt, I'll be cleaning with CLR and see what it does..

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Unless it has a lot of build up on the probe it is probably just a faulty one. A little rust color won't effect it much.
I have had prodigy's last 2-3 years and some 2-3 months.
I always keep a spare or 2 on the shelf along with a solenoid valve and repair kit.

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States
Unless it has a lot of build up on the probe it is probably just a faulty one. A little rust color won't effect it much.
I have had prodigy's last 2-3 years and some 2-3 months.
I always keep a spare or 2 on the shelf along with a solenoid valve and repair kit.
Thanks Kevin. My first thermostat lasted two years now this one is only been in machine for less than 6 months. What goes bad on a thermostat? I'm wondering if there is a better thermostat to start using.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Thanks Kevin. My first thermostat lasted two years now this one is only been in machine for less than 6 months. What goes bad on a thermostat? I'm wondering if there is a better thermostat to start using.
My thermostat never worked on my Chemtex since the day I bought it 5 1/2 years ago.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I dont think I have ever seen it, is there a video or a link?
No, I just remember him saying something something a few years ago. You'd just have to text or email him probably. Since a crap load of chemtexers are probably reading this, please don't call him. I could just hear him fussing at me now for opening my mouth

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Reactions: matt30577

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
The thing connecting the thermostat and probe together isnt just a wire its a capillary tube filled with nitrogen(if I remember correctly).... If that gas ever leaks out of the tube you have a worthless thermostat.. Between all the vibration and if its rubbing up against something that tube wears out and breaks... Make sure you dont bend everything to much and secure that tube

Piperton Rugsucker

Apr 1, 2012
TN
Real Name
Troy Cline
Business Location
United States
I've probably replaced a half dozen Murphy thermostats throughout the years. The contacts always weld (stick) together leaving the Dema valve open just like Matt said. It's a 15 minute fix and I just keep a spare on hand.

These thermostat/Dema systems have been around for a long time and are pretty simple and cheap to fix. I also had a truckmount with an exhaust diverter. That was a less troublesome, but more $ to fix. Bottom line is they are man-made machines and stuff breaks after time. I've found if something breaks I just fix it right away and fix it right. My truckmount is my money maker and I need it performing flawlessly daily.

Reactions: LeeRoy

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
It's a Chemtex and it really does not produce super high heat anyways but I did disconnect it.
They calibrate the thermostat for each machine. If you get a new thermostat it will be un calibrated and your machine will get as hot as you want it.