Thermonuclear paint explosion

Nov 25, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
www.castle-cleaners.com
Real Name
Kevin Murray
Business Location
United States
Hey everyone, I’ve got a Construction cleaning where there simply is a massive amount of paint on their carpets. Check out the photos. I am highly skeptical that this job can be cost-effective for the client as well as profitable for us given the amount of scrubbing and product that would likely be necessary. I would love if anybody can provide any input they may have! Thanks

IMG_0823.JPG

Reactions: timyager

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If you have a spotter or booster in your arsenal that contains both 2-butoxyethanol and mineral spirits, use that. The one we carry here is New Energy from Newline, and it's been very popular for just these circumstances. Allow proper dwell time, and if you've got a crevice tool you can spare yourself a lot of hands-and-knees work.

Reactions: Sanipro

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Hey everyone, I’ve got a Construction cleaning where there simply is a massive amount of paint on their carpets. Check out the photos. I am highly skeptical that this job can be cost-effective for the client as well as profitable for us given the amount of scrubbing and product that would likely be necessary. I would love if anybody can provide any input they may have! Thanks
I can't really see much from your picture. If there is a lot more of that paint all over the place I'd definitely charge for the extra trouble it will be to clean it up or be willing to walk away. I have done jobs where there were paint drips of varying sizes virtually everywhere and got 99% of them out. I've found a lot of those smaller drips can be presprayed with your traffic lane cleaner and scrubbed with a 175 and a pad. Probably the vast majority will come out w/o bending over and trying to scrub every single spot. You may have to use a paint remover on some of the larger ones. The larger paint drips, once they've dried and hardened, may not come out. I'd definitely charge extra for the trouble on that one. I generally boost my prespray with a citrus booster on those jobs. It seems to help break up the pain better and make things a bit easier.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
we get those sometimes, customer hires a craiglist cheap ass painter and they dont even use drop cloths... tells customer to just have carpets cleaned when they are done.

Then they find out the bad news from us

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I had one. Dark blue carpet. Wasnt supposed to go. They got caulk, spackle, and paint on it. And pulled it out lol. I got it all out and reinstalled it. I used pog i used power gel and pro-solve gel. And a carpet shark (for paint & caulk). Homeowner was kinda pissed i got it out. She thought she was getting a new carpet out of that mistake lol.

Depends on the paint type and how thick it is. If paint soaked down to backing theres a good chance anything that will remove it. Will also remove a large chunk of fibers.

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
Could spend a lot more time working on this than you think. I'd want to do a test first. Also, too much solvent next to the baseboards might make the paint come off them...heck sometimes they don't even wipe them and you could scrape all the paint off the baseboards with a fingernail.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Could spend a lot more time working on this than you think. I'd want to do a test first. Also, too much solvent next to the baseboards might make the paint come off them...heck sometimes they don't even wipe them and you could scrape all the paint off the baseboards with a fingernail.
Try tucking carpet against that mess lol. It comes off like the dry skin on an onion. And we get blamed for it smh. Its from not just wiping clean but not deglossing or scuffing with scotchbrite prior to painting. If you run into problem using solvents against base. Try putting a cheap plastic taping knife against the base to protect it. You can sometimes get it between carpet and base.