The words we use in front of Customers..HMMM

ASAP

Feb 1, 2011
Ca
Real Name
Pete DLP
Business Location
United States
Ok, So I've been doing a test on new customers....

You know when your doing a walk through and they show you around and show you their stains and you say, Oh ya I have the chemicals just for those types of stains. Opposed to saying, Yes OUR cleaning solution is specifically made that particular stain...

My findings are when I say CHEMICAL OR CHEMICALS customers faces change.. Try it. The first thing they say is is that "chemical" safe for pets & kids? but when you say my carpet cleaning Solution they trust you and BOOM no question.....Hmmm

They must have had a bad experience

Reactions: tom patnode

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
We never use the word 'Chemical' for just that reason. You are absolutely correct in your evaluation.Not sure if it is the Bad Experience or just the highly publicized negativity of the word and/or the push to go green? We too use words; Cleaning Solutions or Green Cleaning Solutions, Baby Safe, All Natural, etc.

Last edited:

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Its those trigger words that we aren't suppose to use.. I say cleaning products.. that i have various products for the various staining we encounter and if its not permanent we will get it out.

Ok, So I've been doing a test on new customers....

You know when your doing a walk through and they show you around and show you their stains and you say, Oh ya I have the chemicals just for those types of stains. Opposed to saying, Yes OUR cleaning solution is specifically made that particular stain...

My findings are when I say CHEMICAL OR CHEMICALS customers faces change.. Try it. The first thing they say is is that "chemical" safe for pets & kids? but when you say my carpet cleaning Solution they trust you and BOOM no question.....Hmmm

They must have had a bad experience
Yeah, using the word chemical is never a good thing. Once you say the word "chemical" to a customer they probably think of a beaker with sulfuric acid in it and smoke billowing over the edges, ...lol. I think the safest terms would be detergent, solution, or application, I agree never say Chemical or chemicals, that just opens the door to a slew of questions regarding the products you're going to use, and interferes with the walk through process.

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
Old news............but the best way to present the safety of your solutions is to mention that you have been using these products for decades and still get a woody that a teenager would envy. Must be healthy stuff, hey?

Reactions: comfort carpet care

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Its those trigger words that we aren't suppose to use...
Yep. Words ARE important. And being sensitive to customer's reactions even more essential. One big no-no word is "spray" as in "spray down" protectant. HERE is why you should avoid this phrase.

Steve

PS In fact, after I put up the "spray down" post our SFS members got all excited and chimed in with an extensive "bad words/good words" list HERE.

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
We had a reaction from a customer for using the word detergent. We now call it pre-spray. Evidently she had talked to another company and detergent use on your carpet was bad. Wonder what she puts in her wash water to clean her dishes or wash her clothes?

Rag is also a bad word. Better used is the word towel. Like "Bob, would you grab me a towel out of the truck please?" Nobody wants a rag used on their carpet (like for spotting). I actually learned this one in the back kitchen of a chain restaurant, where as a vendor I asked the manager if she had a rag (to clean up a mess). She corrected me, saying it was a towel.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
We had a reaction from a customer for using the word detergent. We now call it pre-spray. Evidently she had talked to another company and detergent use on your carpet was bad. Wonder what she puts in her wash water to clean her dishes or wash her clothes?

Rag is also a bad word. Better used is the word towel. Like "Bob, would you grab me a towel out of the truck please?" Nobody wants a rag used on their carpet (like for spotting). I actually learned this one in the back kitchen of a chain restaurant, where as a vendor I asked the manager if she had a rag (to clean up a mess). She corrected me, saying it was a towel.

If the manager was not a female there probably would not have been a problem with you using the word "rag".

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
Had a woman tell me last week she is allergic to chemicals and she didnt want me using any,,,,I said ok and used my normal prespray and she was happy when I was done. I have her neighbor on schedule along with her sister and did another neighbor today(next door) who told me that the one I did last week was extremely happy and telling all the neighbors. I never once mentioned chems and just used my normal prespray which she okay-ed.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
When they tell me they are allergic to chemicals I let them know that I have "for an additional charge" a hypoallergenic cleaning solution that has no smell. Master Blend makes it. I charge extra and in my opinion it does not clean as well. However, my wallet does not take that into consideration.

Reactions: aloha one

Jose Rodriguez

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Jose Rodriguez
The only time I mention the chemical word, is when I explain to them the process of removing red stains, I say well my cleaning solution will clean 90% of all stains but I need to use chemistry to remove the red dye stain and that's why we charge to remove those stains.

Reactions: aloha one

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
this is actually a very good topic especially for the new startup guys. There are two sets of lingo you should all learn. One that you speak to the customer, where you use feel good words and simplification of things. You can easily loose them in a conversation with details. Then there is the lingo you use with other people in the trade.
We all here know what a Rat Nasty looks like but that would never fly with a customer. As a service manager I find myself in a quandary at times. Because my customers are you guys and I would like to tell you that your waste tank filters are disgusting and you need to rinse out your tank every once in a while. But I just have to explain it as "Preventative Maintenance"