jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Fedri, Doesn't this post contradict your previous post? Which is it?

Oxi, why would you test your (chosen by you with other options available) chemicals on swatches which do not reflect the carpet in an installed atmosphere? In our testing we find repellency is high even after several cleanings. Just opposite of your sample.
I use Maxim Advanced protectant from interlink, mixes 1:4 ,,, 58 bucks or so.. I have a battery powered sprayer with 50 psi,,,, On a five bedroom house there is no way I am spraying 60 bucks worth of protectant... Usually im going to guess I spray 3/4 of a gallon of product on,, @Scott W , @rob allen ,,,, Am I missing something or , are you soaking the crap out of the carpet to spray on 60 bucks worth of protectant?

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat

Oxi, why would you test your (chosen by you with other options available) chemicals on swatches which do not reflect the carpet in an installed atmosphere? In our testing we find repellency is high even after several cleanings. Just opposite of your sample.
I was comparing apples to oranges. As I have indicated in my second post that I don't use any protection to carpets because it is not very popular around here. However I use from time to time on upholstery and that doesn't cost 60 as you have indicated. I have realized apples to oranges then I did a calculation on applying the protector on carpets then I have realized that yes it does get that expensive on carpets and I have agreed with you in that sense.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat

Also it all depends how much you spray, some products will instruct to spray 400-600 sqft for a gallon and this this case the cost drops even more lower then what i have quoted in my second post.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I use Maxim Advanced protectant from interlink, mixes 1:4 ,,, 58 bucks or so.. I have a battery powered sprayer with 50 psi,,,, On a five bedroom house there is no way I am spraying 60 bucks worth of protectant... Usually im going to guess I spray 3/4 of a gallon of product on,, @Scott W , @rob allen ,,,, Am I missing something or , are you soaking the crap out of the carpet to spray on 60 bucks worth of protectant?
Are you sure the mix ratio is 1to4 and not 1to2? Also the whole concentrated gallon only covers 1200sqft. So thats $62 for 1200 sqft. About the same for my original post. Geez is math that hard?????

• Sad
Reactions: jtsunbrite

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Are you sure the mix ratio is 1to4 and not 1to2? Also the whole concentrated gallon only covers 1200sqft. So thats $62 for 1200 sqft. About the same for my original post. Geez is math that hard?????
1-to-2 ratio is for low-moisture applications. At 400-800 sf per diluted gallon, coverage per gallon of concentrate is 800-1600 sf.

1-to-4 ratio is for standard HWE applications. At 240-480 sf per diluted gallon, coverage per gallon of concentrate is 960-1920 sf.

Cost breakdown, ergo, per sf used is anything from 7.2 cents to 3 cents per square foot depending on dilution and density of carpet.

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
The protectant we used at Oxi required a dilution ratio of 1:3, according to the bottle, 1 DILUTED GALLON of protectant covered 400 sq ft.

Meaning you could only make 3 DILUTED GALLONS per bottle and cover up to 1,200 sq ft.

The bottle cost the franchise owner $45. We sold it at $20 a room on average. The problem? If the technician was receiving 40% commission for selling the protectant at $20 a room, and it only covered 2 rooms...the most you could sell the DILUTED gallon for was $40.

$120 in sales by the tech, at 40% commish, left $72 in sales. $45 to purchase the chemical by the company.

$72 - $45 = $27 in profit.

Wouldn't be worth it at all.

Now as a single owner operator, perhaps it is worth it.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Thought this was a prespray thread?

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I just read the label again.... So generally I buy the gallon and I mix it into a 5 gallon bucket and just keep my sprayer filled.... always mixed and ready...
Geez la wheez is it hard to imagine that other people can understand this stuff and the math isn't that hard... are you from California ?

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
1-to-2 ratio is for low-moisture applications. At 400-800 sf per diluted gallon, coverage per gallon of concentrate is 800-1600 sf.

1-to-4 ratio is for standard HWE applications. At 240-480 sf per diluted gallon, coverage per gallon of concentrate is 960-1920 sf.

Cost breakdown, ergo, per sf used is anything from 7.2 cents to 3 cents per square foot depending on dilution and density of carpet.
Amen miss Mama, I need to call and get a few things from you this week..

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States

How does the Ph level and soap residue factor in to water based protectants ability to stay on fibers?

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
In our testing ph doesn't matter much but residue does. If you leave the carpet fibers full of soap no protector application will do a darn bit of good but to increase ur job average and profit margin.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
How much protector you apply on hundred-thousand-dollar rugs pictures please lol

• Haha
Reactions: jtsunbrite

Rob Coats

Dec 11, 2015
Real Name
Rob Coats
Well it's pretty simple, if it costs $35 for a gallon delivered to your business. That's $0.2734 per oz. Diluted 6oz per gal is $1.64 per rtu gallon of prespray. If 4 gallons is used in a home thats $6.56 worth of prespray used for that job. Add in $8 for rinse, $4 for miscellaneous spotters and $60 for protector and total chem dollars for this job $78.56. Add strips, blocks, gas to get there and in machine with labor and all other expenses. This 5 RM job will cost ur business $160 to $180 at completion. Yes those are real numbers. That's we we can not afford to clean for the rates most in this business charge, nor do we try to. The phone rings alot too.
Btw, didn't watch the vid.

Of course that is with using quality chemicals at the correct diluted ratios.
Your pricing is right on ... However, I DON'T apply Protector any more. Protectors are toxic and poison. I inform my customer of the dangers and advise them to have me clean more often. That's when I get to pre-schedule two more cleanings within a year. Of course, they also get a discount for pre-scheduling.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Your pricing is right on ... However, I DON'T apply Protector any more. Protectors are toxic and poison. I inform my customer of the dangers and advise them to have me clean more often. That's when I get to pre-schedule two more cleanings within a year. Of course, they also get a discount for pre-scheduling.
Or you could use this...