Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Most have no idea the "true" cost of pre-spray. They don't understand the true cost per job or the health implications. Not anymore. This video breaks it down nicely and you will understand the true costs of prespray from now on!

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Well it's pretty simple, if it costs $35 for a gallon delivered to your business. That's $0.2734 per oz. Diluted 6oz per gal is $1.64 per rtu gallon of prespray. If 4 gallons is used in a home thats $6.56 worth of prespray used for that job. Add in $8 for rinse, $4 for miscellaneous spotters and $60 for protector and total chem dollars for this job $78.56. Add strips, blocks, gas to get there and in machine with labor and all other expenses. This 5 RM job will cost ur business $160 to $180 at completion. Yes those are real numbers. That's we we can not afford to clean for the rates most in this business charge, nor do we try to. The phone rings alot too.
Btw, didn't watch the vid.

Of course that is with using quality chemicals at the correct diluted ratios.

Reactions: sbsscn

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Well it's pretty simple, if it costs $35 for a gallon delivered to your business. That's $0.2734 per oz. Diluted 6oz per gal is $1.64 per rtu gallon of prespray. If 4 gallons is used in a home thats $6.56 worth of prespray used for that job. Add in $8 for rinse, $4 for miscellaneous spotters and $60 for protector and total chem dollars for this job $78.56. Add strips, blocks, gas to get there and in machine with labor and all other expenses. This 5 RM job will cost ur business $160 to $180 at completion. Yes those are real numbers. That's we we can not afford to clean for the rates most in this business charge, nor do we try to. The phone rings alot too.
Btw, didn't watch the vid.

Of course that is with using quality chemicals at the correct diluted ratios.
I get the most of the numbers but $60 for protector is over exaggerated, I use a protector that dilutes with water and cost like couple of dollars not 60. also the rinsing for 5 rooms shouldn't be 8 but more like $2.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I'm $1.00/hr portable and $2.25/hr TM to clean per machine prorated (prorating the internal components over 25 years of tracking), chems and fuel (less insurance, vehicle expenses or protector). My numbers are much lower than others as we don't pay on iron, make our chems in house and do all our own maintenance, book keeping, etc... My numbers aren't fair, because I don't farm out anything. I learned a long time ago for small operations what profitable is and what it is not if you outsource everything.

My friend Larry runs many crews, has millions in sales every year in a different business and says twice a year when we clean his house he wishes he was us. We even try to buy him lunch, he doesn't have time to because he has to go fix "something".

I'll take my quality of life everyday spread out longer, but that's just me.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
There are protectors in all price ranges. No matter which one you choose, if diluted correctly and applied correctly will cost more than a couple of dollars. We only use top of the line chemicals and yes we would have $60 in protector for a typical 1500/1600 sqft home. My guess is ur protector and/or application doesn't offer much benefit but added fees to the bill. I would also bet ur application rate is not correct

Last edited:
Reactions: Fedri

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
There are protectors in all price ranges. No matter which one you choose, if diluted correctly and applied correctly will cost more than a couple of dollars. We only use top of the line chemicals and yes we would have $60 in protector for a typical 1500/1600 sqft home. My guess is ur protector and/or application doesn't offer much benefit but added fees to the bill. I would also bet ur application rate is not correct
$60 per 1500ft² is approximately spot on and should yield a minimum 5x profit per dollar spent and labor in that isn't calculable.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
If you mean the rule of 1 gallon diluted covers 250 sq ft? Sure...except in most rooms half the carpet is covered in furniture.

Reactions: DakotaG

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
If you mean the rule of 1 gallon diluted covers 250 sq ft? Sure...except in most rooms half the carpet is covered in furniture.
And up to a half gallon of water left in the carpet, 200 sq ft. or more depending on variables that all cleaners have.
Not sure how to count that extra water in the carpet when adding protectors.

Reactions: DrummerTW

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Yes I agree it does cost for about $60-75 for 5 rooms total of 750 sqft.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I agree that in the big picture chemical cost is cheap. I agree with paying more for safer, better chemicals. I haven't really seen that "the big guys" chemicals are that bad. Some of them, in my experience work darn good and aren't that harmful. I dont think you can lump all "big guys" chems all together as being high ph and inferior. I have no doubt that some of them are, but not all. Not saying I dont order chems from tmf. I have and will continue too, so keep up the quality products. You dont have to accuse everyone else of making a dangerous or poor product though, because that just isnt always true.

Reactions: Mama Fen and bcs

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
How many of you test ur cleaning job with protector for repellency? A few ounces of protector to a gal sprayed over 600ft doesn't offer any level of resistance.Just sayn.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
How many of you test ur cleaning job with protector for repellency? A few ounces of protector to a gal sprayed over 600ft doesn't offer any level of resistance.Just sayn.
Mine is 25.5oz to a gallon gives an excellent protection and I only use them for upholstery not carpets. Not that popular for carpets, for upholstery I use 1 gallon for a 3 - 2 - 1 set, 1 gallon cost $20, for carpet this one gallon will cover 200-400 sqft of carpet depending how thick the carpet piles are, for poly or berber carpets would last for 400 sqft and for thick nylon it would be 200 sqft. For 5 rooms with poly/berber is about 650 sqft with furniture $32.50 without furniture it would be $37.50. For thick nylon it would be double. The protection that I use is the esteam turf guard 2.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I agree that in the big picture chemical cost is cheap. I agree with paying more for safer, better chemicals. I haven't really seen that "the big guys" chemicals are that bad. Some of them, in my experience work darn good and aren't that harmful. I dont think you can lump all "big guys" chems all together as being high ph and inferior. I have no doubt that some of them are, but not all. Not saying I dont order chems from tmf. I have and will continue too, so keep up the quality products. You dont have to accuse everyone else of making a dangerous or poor product though, because that just isnt always true.
My reference to “big guys” is hi ph with resoil issues and too many fillers which age cheap to buy and make. The lil guys many times use toxic products to be able to compete and survive. We just took a different route. Most big guys and even little guys, have rarely or ever even cleaned a carpet outside of a laboratory. On other hand I’ve cleaned for 35+ years and test EVERY single product on the field for months on various homes, soil types, different soil levels and every type fiber.

Reactions: admin

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Agree. Most times it’s application not product issues.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I ran tests on carpet swatches where most protectors came off or were severely diminished after vacuuming.

All of the protectors no longer worked after rinsing period.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Mine is 25.5oz to a gallon gives an excellent protection and I only use them for upholstery not carpets. Not that popular for carpets, for upholstery I use 1 gallon for a 3 - 2 - 1 set, 1 gallon cost $20, for carpet this one gallon will cover 200-400 sqft of carpet depending how thick the carpet piles are, for poly or berber carpets would last for 400 sqft and for thick nylon it would be 200 sqft. For 5 rooms with poly/berber is about 650 sqft with furniture $32.50 without furniture it would be $37.50. For thick nylon it would be double. The protection that I use is the esteam turf guard 2.
Fedri, Doesn't this post contradict your previous post? Which is it?

Oxi, why would you test your (chosen by you with other options available) chemicals on swatches which do not reflect the carpet in an installed atmosphere? In our testing we find repellency is high even after several cleanings. Just opposite of your sample.