the true cost of a truckmount...

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
last year I sold my Prochem Apex and Chev 1 ton van. I bought it used in April of 2008. It was 1 year old with very low miles and hours. Cost was $45,000. I sold it about April of last year so 11 years in my use for $18000. It looked and ran like the day I bought it. It was overmaintained which means I did my best to replace things before they became a problem.

So it cost me $27,000 total to own plus maintenance. Over 11 years that amounts to $205 a month. Interest and depreciation are tax deductible so I am looking at true cost.

Just something to ponder for those that think it costs too much to own a TM.

Reactions: Jimbo Williams

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Plus insurance, gas, down time, loss of sales etc etc

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
For some reason my sarcasm emoji didn't populate.

If it never broke down one time that's incredible! Not even a transfer pump burn out?

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
ez.jpg
ez1.jpg
pretty much built this truck mount all stainless tube and rolled sheet for waste tank for around 3 thousand dollars in materials and supplies, this is not counting my labor costs just parts and large components, To buy would cost someone around 6500 and some change.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
For some reason my sarcasm emoji didn't populate.

If it never broke down one time that's incredible! Not even a transfer pump burn out?
yes, I had to replace two water transfer pumps over those years. Both time I was able to hook up to water on the jobs I was on and always kept a spare pump handy so I was able to replace it the same day. Those were simple to switch out.

I think there were two reasons for no downtime. Proactive maintneance (changing things like water pumps, gas pump, etc before they go out) and having the right spare parts always on hand.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
View attachment 90988View attachment 90989pretty much built this truck mount all stainless tube and rolled sheet for waste tank for around 3 thousand dollars in materials and supplies, this is not counting my labor costs just parts and large components, To buy would cost someone around 6500 and some change.

Odin is a beast.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
They do, but they also don't cost $20,000+

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Hey don't talk crap about porty's ... if there one thing you can say about them is that they don't SUCK

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
If you take care of your equipment it can last for several years.

I purchased my dual wand truckmount in 1984 for $6500 cash, installed with reels and hoses and tools, and still using it today as my primary cleaning setup. I have made some modifications over the years to improve the power. It is now in it's third van!

I also have a dual wand ETM in an Astro van which is my backup. It has been great all of these years with absolutely no loans on any equipment.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
When u buy a TM just get one with a solid frame, full stainless tank... then youll never have to replace anything but motor, blower, pump.

It's pretty much a lifetime purchase