The most asked question in carpet cleaning

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Every time someone asks me "how much should I charge" I always say "as much as you can". Do you know why? How would you answer?

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I agree. I try to never under value my service. By keeping prices high it sets me apart. TMF allows me the advantage of continued education. I’m preparing to attend rug class with Scott. Why would I charge less and still do a better job? I’m convinced I’m worth more. I have confidence my TMF & Sponser products are the best. I care about my clients end result and sincerely do guarantee my work. I arrive on time, my equipment is clean, I am clean. Professionals should charge professional fees. My pitch is I try to keep my prices on the high side of fare. There’s a point your over charging, so I stick to high side of fair and honest.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Charging a realistic price for your service benefits not only you and your company, it also benefits the industry as a whole. A customer will not respect someone who doesn't respect their own service enough to charge appropriately for it, and the price-tanking in this area alone has done tremendous damage to my local guys.

I pray for the day that we have no more cardboard signs stapled to light poles or pegged at street corners saying "Carpit Cleened $19 per room"...

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Charging a realistic price for your service benefits not only you and your company, it also benefits the industry as a whole. A customer will not respect someone who doesn't respect their own service enough to charge appropriately for it, and the price-tanking in this area alone has done tremendous damage to my local guys.

I pray for the day that we have no more cardboard signs stapled to light poles or pegged at street corners saying "Carpit Cleened $19 per room"...
BUT I pay the guys good monet to staple those sign all over town!!!! AND I have to pay to have them printed up:p:p

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
BUT I pay the guys good monet to staple those sign all over town!!!! AND I have to pay to have them printed up:p:p
AND ANOTHER THING, I have found through extensive looking into, you get much metter response if spelling is correct KARPET KLEEN

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Do you know why? Because you have the top of the line cleaners, knowledge and equipment that's why.

How would you answer? Having the knowledge, experience, not rushing the work making sure it's rinsed properly or not skipping any steps like pre vacuum etc and most of the others will not pre vacuum. Vacuuming does take time.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
if your pre vacuuming then you gotta charge top dollar or your wasting your life lol

I cant believe the companies I see here that say they do an 8 step or whatever process but only charge $29 per room, they must like working for beer money and never having a chance at ever getting ahead lol

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
The big cleaner in our town I’ve got to admit has a nice van wrap. But he advertises as $15 a room, and cleans terrible. I do think it’s all spelled correctly however lol

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
if your pre vacuuming then you gotta charge top dollar or your wasting your life lol

I cant believe the companies I see here that say they do an 8 step or whatever process but only charge $29 per room, they must like working for beer money and never having a chance at ever getting ahead lol
Those steps are done quicker not thoroughly. Its only to show that they have pre-vacuumed, and vacuumed the sides and the corners etc, its like they have not done it, but they are showing the customer that they are doing it.

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro

I have news for ya Mama Dearest. Those signs are EVERYWHERE! Those folks are like roaches and they ain't goin' anywhere. But I hear ya and agree.

Nice touch on the car-"pit". LOL

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
how do I get blood out of a carpet

did some one get hurt or is this evidence removal

the latter has a much higher charge

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
There use (USE) to be a company around here that would go around and state that they were the best, and cleaned better than anyone. They charged $30 per room no matter what size or how dirty cause they had the most powerful truckmount and a Rotovac Powerwand.

They are no longer in business. I could not understand how many calls they got and how busy they were, But then again I never understood how they would travel 30 miles for 1 room either.

I remember a few years after I got in the business that a clients sister called me on the eve of Thanksgiving wanting me to drive 27 miles at night during traffic to do a spot removal of her dog
dropping a fecal dallop on her rug. She asked me how much, back then my minimum was $80.00 for spot cleaning. She went "WHY!!? NO THANKS!! THATS EXPENSIVE!! I'll just wait"

I am so glad she was cheap and that I didnt go.

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

I like your pragmatic view on matters, but this time I would like to ask you to define " realistic price" for services rendered. I'm already taking in consideration fact of median prices and median incomes, while understanding that rural areas gents can't be picky as megalomaniac types in "bustling " areas of the city.
I also understand popular slogan that 20% of your customer base will bring .....
No matter how sophisticated is your approach on strategy and sales tactics, all it comes to , at least in my case, to appeal to most of demographic groups. So, does the "realistic price" come as a by product of your business model, profit expectation, outstanding quality, or a summary of all of the above? Can we agree that there is no definition of " realistic price"?
On the side note, can we stop swinging numbers around? Who cares, if you made $4000 yesterday and there is $2000 waiting for you tomorrow. It's childish and doesn't promote healthy competition, it promotes frustration and unrealistic expectations.
Mama Fen, I would be grateful, if you can elaborate. It would be helpful for a few hot heads, whose enthusiasm is much bigger than their portable units...

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
McDonalds has sold billions of “cheap” hamburgers...they are still in business. Ruths Chris sells burgers too...for 12 bucks...they both have a valid business model. Each is totally different and has a different clientele. Level of service and presentation must be commiserate with the price charged. You can be either in this business...it's your choice. IF you quote the wrong price to wrong person they will think someting is wrong with you. If you give a Ruths Chris price for a sofa to a low end renter or a McDonalds price to clean a sofa in a million dollar home...they will each look at you like you're crazy. You won't get either job.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I like your pragmatic view on matters, but this time I would like to ask you to define " realistic price" for services rendered. I'm already taking in consideration fact of median prices and median incomes, while understanding that rural areas gents can't be picky as megalomaniac types in "bustling " areas of the city.
I also understand popular slogan that 20% of your customer base will bring .....
No matter how sophisticated is your approach on strategy and sales tactics, all it comes to , at least in my case, to appeal to most of demographic groups. So, does the "realistic price" come as a by product of your business model, profit expectation, outstanding quality, or a summary of all of the above? Can we agree that there is no definition of " realistic price"?
On the side note, can we stop swinging numbers around? Who cares, if you made $4000 yesterday and there is $2000 waiting for you tomorrow. It's childish and doesn't promote healthy competition, it promotes frustration and unrealistic expectations.
Mama Fen, I would be grateful, if you can elaborate. It would be helpful for a few hot heads, whose enthusiasm is much bigger than their portable units...
"Reasonable price" is variable, and is set by a number of factors - demographics being only one of them. As well ask what a reasonable price for a dinner out is. Is your idea of dinner McDonald's? Ruth's Chris? Golden Corral?

Our greater metro area has about 2.5 million people in it, with many small satellite towns ranging anything from a few dozen to a few thousand people in them. We've got every conceivable demographic represented; cheap rental apartments, luxury lake homes, businesses of every shape and size, hotels, vinyl villages, hospitals, warehouses, you've got a shot at any type of floor in any demographic you choose.

With such a diverse group of people and businesses in one area, it's very easy for every carpet cleaner here to decide what kind of target he wants and price himself accordingly.

Unfortunately, a lot of guys focus more on quick turnaround, and thus sacrifice quality, because they're operating under the false impression that more jobs equals more money.

Ten jobs at fifty bucks a job, versus five jobs at a hundred bucks a job, versus two jobs at two hundred fifty, versus a single five hundred dollar job, are all the same amount of money.

But of the three, which costs the owner less in fuel, wear and tear, labor hours, and chemicals?

I understand the need to start out "fast and dirty" to gain a foothold. But that philosophy must be temporary and you must be willing to fire your cheapest customers to make room for people who are willing to pay what your time is worth.

The big problem we have in this area - and what has kept us the lowest per capita pricing in the COUNTRY as far as our industry goes - is the guys who start out fast and dirty and STAY there. They're afraid to boost their prices, and they end up getting sucked into a black hole of "can't afford to do a good job, so I'm taking the cheapest customers I can find".

These low-end customers offer NO retention/loyalty, NO referral value, and are notorious for call-backs and complaints.

I have total empathy for the guy who's worried about being able to feed his family at the end of the day. I have that same fear. But I also know that growth is crucial to health, and if you're not willing to come out of the fast and dirty gutter, you're not doing yourself or your fellow cleaners any favors.

To wit, a reasonable price is whatever price allows you to perform your job with dignity, integrity, and professionalism, while maintaining a profit margin that allows you to support yourself and/or your family in the way you see fit.