Direct Mail EDDM - The "F" Word... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Direct Mail EDDM The "F" Word...

Bruce DeLoatch

Premium VIP
Jun 10, 2009
www.tcsatl.com
Real Name
Bruce DeLoatch
Business Location
United States
When it comes to marketing, there is one word that stops your prospects from ever trying your service. FEAR.
What are they afraid of? Well, many things... they are afraid of being ripped off, stolen from, lied to, getting a lousy job, inviting a stranger into their home, making a mistake...

That's why it can be so frustrating to create a direct marketing campaign. You spend $2,000 to send out 5,000 postcards to a list and you get 25 calls, book 12 quotes and get 6 jobs that gross $1,200 total. And so you say to yourself, "Well, that didn't work!"

You know that at least 100 of those families need your service this month. Your offer was irresistible. You clearly stated why you are the right choice. You offered a money-back, satisfaction guarantee. What more can you do?

You must replace fear with trust. People trust the familiar. They trust consistency. They trust longevity. You cannot do it in one mailing. It takes repetition. Why do you think the same commercial plays over and over on the same 1 hour TV show? Repetition builds familiarity. Familiarity breeds trust.

But what if you can't afford to send out 5,000 postcards a month? That's okay. Figure out what you can afford. It is far better to mail monthly to a list of 500 rather than once to 5000.

Make a commitment to connect with that list at least once a month for a full year. Keep the look, message and branding consistent. Your results improve as your company becomes more familiar. Fight fear with familiarity.

Once you get that new customer, don't slow down your communication! Maintain top-of-mind awareness by keeping up the monthly contact. It is far easier and less expensive to keep a customer than it is to get a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:

FailsafeMachine

Aug 26, 2015
www.amarillojanitorialservices.com
Real Name
Jon Lee
I haven't tried mailing any advertising material out, as I like to pair a face-to-face presentation with printed material to leave behind, but I like the principle behind what you're doing. An old instructor of mine told me that "fear is creativity's worst enemy". It's true. If you operate on fear, it will reflect in your presentation and show up in your marketing habits. Fear will show up in what you dom and people will respond to that accordingly.

I'm not the world's best salesperson, so I've been challenging myself to do a lot of callbacks, and even when I get a solid "NO", I don't come away feeling empty-handed. Getting the experience learning how to sell is invaluable!

Bruce DeLoatch

Premium VIP
Jun 10, 2009
www.tcsatl.com
Real Name
Bruce DeLoatch
Business Location
United States
Thanks, Jon. The primary message I was trying to communicate was that if you are going to market to a targeted list of prospects, the contact must be consistent, repetitive and ongoing. It takes time to gain trust. I like making the presentation in person, but you can't always do that.

Our goal was to dominate high-end subdivisions in our area. These gated communities had covenants against soliciting, so you can't even get in there without an appointment with a homeowner. We used postcards and letters to gain awareness among these communities. We were relentless in getting our message out to them.

Once we got a prospect to try our service, we astonished them with excellent service and stayed in touch with a monthly newsletter. Our goal was to create a client relationship that yielded more repeat, referral and add-on sales. It worked. :eek:)

Jpais

Feb 5, 2012
Texas
Real Name
Joseph Pais
Business Location
United States
Bruce-

You send a very powerful message with the idea of repetitive marketing.

I absolutely agree with you. In all my years of advertising I have found that...
A) I can tell if something is going to work within the first 2 months of sending out.

What I mean by this is... My phone needs to ring. It's not really whether I generate a break even the first month or two in. It's about the phone ringing and the type of prospects I am getting.

B) If you use group mailers like ValPak and magazines, you have to know exactly who they are mailing to.

What I mean by this is there are better ways to reach the masses than ValPak. I recently discovered that a majority of their reach is to renters... And they don't exactly control the parameters of who is receiving the mailer...

Well other group mailers do. They look at home ownership and they mail to the upper echelon. This is important for me because these are the people that are willing to spend money on my services.

So what I am getting at is...
You have to have multiple channels in your marketing machine. You need to have the consistent bread and butter that keeps you humming. And you need to have the cherry pie that is just so sweet and makes the consistent work worth it.

I know that once I find a marketing medium that gets the phone to ring I have to stick to it because eventually the phone rings even more after your ad starts to build trust.

But... I also know how to build trust faster than just time. Shh don't tell no body

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States