Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Fish On Jeff! i caught me a lil guy today
44d9c645746b577df664d16ea6b52846.jpg

Nice Flattie! We have some decent sized ones here in NC.

Reactions: keep it clean

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Martin,

Don't you have a Kool Glide? Also, if you lost your hot knife, you need to get another one.

Do you have photos of what occurred?

Use of the Kool Glide with this allows you to readjust as well as work the seam tight so it hides it well.

SAA
Nope I thought I could get away without one but I don't think I will survive If I don't get me one.

Hot knife's are on their way 3 of them and some other small items.

kool glide looking for the best deal but it appears there are no deals as of now.

PS going back to clean next Saturday i'll take some pics and share on here Maybe I can even make it look better when I go next week

Last edited:

jwargo1967

Nov 13, 2011
florida
Real Name
Joseph Wargo
Business Location
United States
jt,

The Tool is Dynamic in the way it allows you to manipulate the carpet and work and rework it, if need be. Plus, you can control what you are doing and take it apart and readjust all you may want or need to. Plus, being able to seal the edges with hot melt allows you to fuse the edges together, which hides the seam very well.

I always bevel the edges (since the late 80's) and have taught that for many years (since 1998), and as you say, it helps hide the seam. I like using a hot knife for it as it melts the edges and fuses them. That way with a Kool Glide, it allows one to literally melt the edges together and when you compress them, it hides them very well, even with a poor doorway seam as asked about a few posts back.

When you use the controlled dry heat this produces, it will soften the carpet and the donor piece and allows you to take a gap that may be there and make it fuse together. I often purposely made a gap in a seam, in many places and then show how this fusing together will 'fill the gap' with the way the Kool Glide can be used.

Here is a little clip that shows how much damage was done in a large piece of carpet and how several 'newbies' put it all together so that someone just does not see the repaired areas. Use of a Kool Glide allows ones with very low level skills to make great repairs. It really makes a difference, IMO. After all, a donor piece or bonded insert, has seams all around it.

I have shown this over and over again in classroom after classroom as well as in my own work and in the field and have done this for years. If one learns how to use it, it simply takes all of the effort out of a seam being made as it allows you to manipulate the seam to make it look very good to great.

How hard are some loop pile carpets for people to make a good seam in? This allows one to take a messed up seam and 'fill' the gaps by the methodology used. Even if they have frayed edges, it allows us to hide the seam edges very well.

Hope this at least starts to answer your question. I would imagine once you saw it and got to try it, you would see the overwhelming value of this tool, it takes all of the hard learning curve out of this.

SAA

What is a hot knife? I have a kool glide, I actually took the RRT class several years back. My seam skills, as far as if i have to cut from the top on a cut pile , are still lacking

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
www.thecarpetsurgeons.com
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Here is a little out take from my videos, showing the use of a Hot Knife, just an out take but it shows one use of it. There are many more uses of a Hot Knife.

As for Seam Skills, learning to use a Kool Glide and understanding how to manipulate the seam, you can take a terrible seam cut and make it look very good. If you learn how to cut the edges, even reasonably well, (this is not that hard when you learn it), you can make a seam look great.

SAA

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
One advantage cleaners really have over installers with repair work is after the patch is in we can alter it to hide them even better. Matching wear prior to glueing it in is great, but agitation with the jets while cleaning and sometimes even spot dying for a a perfect fade. Color loss in the exposed problem area and the lack of UV color loss on donor pieces in the closet can be challenging. I can really only make one strong recommendation and that is to work backwards and take the donor piece out of the closet first and put it over the problem area, then make the judgement call before committing. Sometimes we have to find other places or closets that see sunlight to get the donor carpet. Sometimes it has taken me 3 patches to fix 1 problem. You have to take the problem area out, take the patch out of a room somewhere as inconspicuously as possible with similar fading and patch that spot with a piece from a closet for the best possible outcome.

Great videos above and excellent explanations!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Could this work in repairs?
I keep seeing commercials for that and think it would be a great tool to add to the toolbox.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
are all of your lakes contaminated? None of ours are but the trinity river is said to have high levels of mercury

More then likely. I used to have a map that showed all the lakes and rivers across the US. It also said what the toxin was in each. Most were Mercury. But alot had the pcb. If you have mining up stream at any point in time. Good chance theres Mercury in the waters. This collects in the fish fat along with many other chemicals. I read somewhere it also came from burning coal. If thats true. Then were fked lol. We have the real life Silent Hill here. The town has a never ending fire burning under it. (Centralia pa). Pretty fkd up if you use google map to find pa 61 centralia and you see this
d57dc25863b10f0006e3aaa2961a9e4e.jpg
how longs it been burning? Since 1962. So i hope they are wrong about the Mercury being linked to burning coal. No one can put it out. Ironically it was started by non other then the fire department.