ASTM Test Your Anti-Freeze!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, New Mexico
It's starting to cool down guys, so I wanted to alert you to an important and often ignored maintenance item.

Be sure check the condition of your antifreeze to be sure that is is capable of protecting your engine(s) during the winter months. If your antifreeze is not up to spec, it could freeze inside of your engine causing significant damage. Check not only your TM (if you have a liquid cooled TM) but also your Van's engine.

It is very easy to do and you can buy a cheap tester at any auto parts store. Here is a pic of what a antifreeze tester looks like. It is a good item to keep in the tool box!

[/IMG]

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I use my meter on mine...........If the reading on the meter is .4 or more......then I replace it.....don't know why I do it that way....just what some old dude showed me many moons ago.........

Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, New Mexico
But was does ".4" tell you Jim? I am sure the multimeter is fine if you know how to read the numbers and what they represent.

With a tester, it tells you what temperature you are good to...kind of "dummy proof", for dummies like me!

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
I only had one of my vehicles that tested higher than zero, and it was testing at 5 degrees. However, my youngest daughter just totalled that particuler car, so I won't have to worry about flushing the radiator.

spotman123

Jan 3, 2010
new york
Real Name
spot man
Business Location
United States
I saw this post today and wanted to bring it back up as a reminder to all as the temps here in the northeast are going downhill...

spotman123

Jan 3, 2010
new york
Real Name
spot man
Business Location
United States
I see a lot of cleaners using the RV style antifreeze for winterizing. Is there a way to determine if it needs to be replenished such as metering a van/TM radiator antifreeze? I had purchased window washer fluid rated to -20F and the stuff froze at 10F. Perhaps I got a bad batch or dyed water?...

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Can anyone explain to me the proper way to run antifreeze in your tm. Also, if your tm is going to sit all winter, how often should i do this?

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Can anyone explain to me the proper way to run antifreeze in your tm. Also, if your tm is going to sit all winter, how often should i do this?

This should be in the resource section. Maybe a sticky.

Do it once if you are planning to store it long term.

Do it regularly if you use it regularly and it is getting close to freezing. Like 45 degrees. Or so.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Ez 35/47 i would like to get the ball rolling before cold but, it may not happen. I currently have a job, so it may just sit till the weather snaps. That way i can save up. Im in PA and we are one of the states that get the most days under 30 degrees and i have no garage.:mad:

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Ez 35/47 i would like to get the ball rolling before cold but, it may not happen. I currently have a job, so it may just sit till the weather snaps. That way i can save up. Im in PA and we are one of the states that get the most days under 30 degrees and i have no garage.:mad:
Is there a water box or a mix tank with your set up?

5 gallon stock that chemical feeds the mix tank?

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Anything with water, gotta protect. Lines, heat exchanger, pump, mix tank, fresh water tank - if you keep it outside. I would try to get the waste tank as dry as possible too.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
I believe water box is inside the waste tank, but is not used. Nick uses the fresh water tank in place of the waterbox. There is a chemical injection hose but theres no tank for it. Nick does fresh water rinse only, he said he would show me the chemical injection stuff later on.

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I believe water box is inside the waste tank, but is not used. Nick uses the fresh water tank in place of the waterbox. There is a chemical injection hose but theres no tank for it. Nick does fresh water rinse only, he said he would show me the chemical injection stuff later on.
I would ask Nick the best way to run anti freeze through it. I am not familiar enough with that set up. I only know my own, some of that info transfers to yours, but I know I would miss something, if I were to explain what I do. Better to be safe and get the real deal from him. He might have a video on it. Not sure though.

Idea is to either remove all water from the system or treat it with anti-freeze. If you can't get all water out, treat it to be safe.

I would think about getting your van insulated too. I put a moving blanket over the roof and then a large reflective tarp over that. Heater goes inside back. Van is parked inside non heated garage though. Helps, but not perfect. I put a thermometer on the dash. So I can read it from outside and not have to open the door. I try to hit 50 degrees. And this is after running the antifreeze. Might be overboard, but it gives me peace of mind.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Thx, ill insulate it treat it and run a heater this winter just to see how effective that would be.

Thermometer is a great idea. Not sure if the prime will stay on with no water.