Terrazzo floor | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Terrazzo floor

jerryz55

May 29, 2020
Real Name
Jerome Zidanic
I am working on a terrazzo floor. I think I have stripped the wax off. I used a black pad on a buffing machine. I am not sure if I have to seal the floor now or if I can just wax? If I need to seal how many coats? Also if I seal the floor do I have to wax or is the sealing coat good enough. Thanks for any help.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
What shape is the floor in? Are there a lot of “low” spots ie wear?

jerryz55

May 29, 2020
Real Name
Jerome Zidanic
Here is what it looks like. I'm not looking to make it great. It is a social club basement bar. They built this place almost a hundred years ago. I don't know how they took care of it over all the years. I just don't want to damage it but do want it easy to clean. There is not a lot of traffic on it so it doesn't get that soiled.

Attachments

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Hard to tell from the picture. But I’d say you’d be safe with a good quality floor finish. 30% solids. 6 to 8 coats.

jerryz55

May 29, 2020
Real Name
Jerome Zidanic
Was going to ask you about the floor finish, 30% solids but I googled it and got an answer. Do I really need 6 to 8 coats? Any recommended brands? Is there any problem in applying in sections. I got half the floor to work with at a time. We have this finish I think they used last time years ago. 22% solids. Do I have to seal the floor before I apply a finish?

Attachments

Last edited:

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
You can apply as few or as many coats as you wish. It’s my recommendation 6-8. Yes you can do it in sections with any issues at all. 22% solids is just that much less your putting on per coat is all

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
You’d only apply sealer if there were some areas that were showing low spots. Most floor finishes now a days are self sealing. If you find after applying a few coats you can see areas that have a lower lustre than the rest apply a few extra coats just in them areas prior to your last few coats. You’d notice low areas in high traffic areas. For example around a pool table or in front of a bar or urinal.

Reactions: igare