Tell me how to use a little giant with a portable

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Ok, four to the door, lots of jets, lots of cfms, longer lasting higher hp motor. Fans work good for customer, but for carpet cleaner, cant leave em behind. How can any carpet cleaner wait around to fan dry anything? Doesn't seem practical, timewise.
Even with an average power, entry level TM, you can get the carpets dry fast enough to more than satisfy most folks. Often, drying won't be much of an issue anyway, but if it is, fans will even the playing field quite a bit. I obsess more about drying when people are present in the place being cleaned. If I'm doing an empty rental for example, it's not as important to get it dry super quick. If cleaning with customers present it's more of an issue whether it's residential or commercial.

If you clean a room or two and put a couple fans on them right away then they'll likely be dry or very near it before you even leave. You may also leap frog the fans while working. Leave them on an area for a while then move to the next. If a customer has a really good ceiling fan that has some good velocity to it, even that can dry a room out in an hour or two. Seen it many, many times. I very rarely leave fans behind, but sometimes it's necessary. You won't always be cleaning in optimal conditions and some carpets are just harder to get dry than others. Most of the time you can pretty well get it dry satisfactorily before you leave.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Even with an average power, entry level TM, you can get the carpets dry fast enough to more than satisfy most folks. Often, drying won't be much of an issue anyway, but if it is, fans will even the playing field quite a bit. I obsess more about drying when people are present in the place being cleaned. If I'm doing an empty rental for example, it's not as important to get it dry super quick. If cleaning with customers present it's more of an issue whether it's residential or commercial.

If you clean a room or two and put a couple fans on them right away then they'll likely be dry or very near it before you even leave. You may also leap frog the fans while working. Leave them on an area for a while then move to the next. If a customer has a really good ceiling fan that has some good velocity to it, even that can dry a room out in an hour or two. Seen it many, many times. I very rarely leave fans behind, but sometimes it's necessary. You won't always be cleaning in optimal conditions and some carpets are just harder to get dry than others. Most of the time you can pretty well get it dry satisfactorily before you leave.
Ok, thank you. In those scenarios you mentioned, I will use my fans, and work with the customer to use their fans, ac, etc.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Vacuum.....heat ......pressure....water flow......tools bonzer....
All have to do with dry times...
Succinctly true, as usual! I have a bonzer and shear dry on the way.

Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
First of all I agree that you should just get a truckmount or make do with what you have until you can afford a truckmount. By the time you put all the time and money into the modifications(which may be problematic) you might as well have put that money toward a truckmount.

Secondly I do not believe some of you guys are running fuel fired water heaters without installing some type of venting. Asking for problems and everything in the van gets covered with build up. I had this bad boy a 360000 btu land propane fired water heater in one of my units. I would not think of running it or even a little giant without venting for exhaust.

Attachments

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Succinctly true, as usual! I have a bonzer and shear dry on the way.
Don't buy too many luxury equipment at the beginning. Just get a conformable wand and an upholstery tool, so you can start and learn, the bonzer does leave the carpets wet, it will not be useful with a portable, if you had a powerful tm then not a problem, but you can always return it back for a full refund.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Start with decent equipment, a nice commercial vacuum, a crb, a wand (I recommend the mytee bentley), a powerful machine, a direct injection sprayer (hydro force), ss upholstery tool or the mytee brand or the shear dry, gekko tile cleaning wand with tile brushes, and make sure you use proper quality chemicals for carpet/upholstery/tile cleaning. This is way enough to start, then as you make money you can upgrade to a tm and a bonzer and a spinner etc etc..... at this moment you don't know what is the best tool that will suit you, but as you gain more experience you will start having better ideas of what it can be done next.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Start with decent equipment, a nice commercial vacuum, a crb, a wand (I recommend the mytee bentley), a powerful machine, a direct injection sprayer (hydro force), ss upholstery tool or the mytee brand or the shear dry, gekko tile cleaning wand with tile brushes, and make sure you use proper quality chemicals for carpet/upholstery/tile cleaning. This is way enough to start, then as you make money you can upgrade to a tm and a bonzer and a spinner etc etc..... at this moment you don't know what is the best tool that will suit you, but as you gain more experience you will start having better ideas of what it can be done next.
You make a lot of sense here. Fyi, I have a two jet wand with the Nautilus Extreme package I got. The Bonzer is something that appeals to me, but not in every situation. I will wait and see about the tile wand, but you are one of many who have alerted me to get one. So, I believe it is important for tile jobs. On the sprayer, I prefer the battery operated one I used on a job with Edwin, from Rob Allens crew. I have the tile and grout class slated to be completed from TMF. I already completed the TMF urine, pet class and the TMF upholstery class. Next week, I will be in Maryland, at the Interlink completing their upholstery class. I have studied the Jondon upholstery class manual and the Jondon carpet cleaning class manual. I have other experiences slated throughout January, February, and March. So, I should have a good balance of several things by then, good Lord willing. You certainly have come along side me and have been an outstanding help in your advice. Pat

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
You make a lot of sense here. Fyi, I have a two jet wand with the Nautilus Extreme package I got. The Bonzer is something that appeals to me, but not in every situation. I will wait and see about the tile wand, but you are one of many who have alerted me to get one. So, I believe it is important for tile jobs. On the sprayer, I prefer the battery operated one I used on a job with Edwin, from Rob Allens crew. I have the tile and grout class slated to be completed from TMF. I already completed the TMF urine, pet class and the TMF upholstery class. Next week, I will be in Maryland, at the Interlink completing their upholstery class. I have studied the Jondon upholstery class manual and the Jondon carpet cleaning class manual. I have other experiences slated throughout January, February, and March. So, I should have a good balance of several things by then, good Lord willing. You certainly have come along side me and have been an outstanding help in your advice. Pat
Awsome!!
which tile wand did you get? I hope you got the gekko.

Also can you please tell me which battery sprayer this is, I am interested as well. Thanks

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
That's is the one. Today, I just asked Rob for the link, and was in the process of cking it out for purchase when you asked.
Ok great, I am doing some research and checking out some you tube vids, and so far there are unsatisfactory about that sprayer unless Rob can correct me on this one.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Ok great, I am doing some research and checking out some you tube vids, and so far there are unsatisfactory about that sprayer unless Rob can correct me on this one.
Ok, I only used it in one job, so I have zip knowledge of its foibles. I'd like to know what you find out in it. Please keep in mind, I only have experience with a 2 gallon pump up sprayer (which is good). Yet, I certainly liked the battery operated sprayer I used on the job at Robs.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Ok, I only used it in one job, so I have zip knowledge of its foibles. I'd like to know what you find out in it. Please keep in mind, I only have experience with a 2 gallon pump up sprayer (which is good). Yet, I certainly liked the battery operated sprayer I used on the job at Robs.
There are reports that the battery is used NiCads type and they fail very quickly, also the sprayer gun leaks.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States