www.tryhousecall.com
Real Name
Ruben Mier
Business Location
United States
upload_2015-12-15_15-39-10.png

Technology Or Die: How Service Businesses Must Evolve
By Kerry Hayden, Dec 10, 2015 2:38:12 PM

In the Digital Age, no industry is safe from the toppling effect of technology. From Uber overturning taxi companies to Airbnb eclipsing the hotel industry, a wide array of businesses have been transformed through technological advances. From all of this progress, one thing remains perfectly clear: no industry is safe from technological disruption, including the home services industry. As the future approaches, service business owners can either choose to adopt technology and ride the success wave, or fight against technology with previously prevailing strategies and get completely crushed by the inevitable technological disruption that is sure to take place. Failure to satisfy the needs of tech-savvy modern consumers runs the risk of being left in the dust.

EfSjcFU2Cx1atDcEk6LwGPk3T-Av_Ni5qkgQBQYGJB98xQ2Xty8O3vQLbeSKKZkSHY7hbDYkJXx7VL47i65vwf68KRNI5iu29JUnN6FzNsbYb8glIj4GL7NRNUZ0CyxVvKCSo4JBxCSvnl7oMtNajq7rbVLo-3Gc1YVq57daJnavdM2x0nIIfv6kpkEw2d2eUo8i67DPoPuCCKaZWYfT_UROzRQ4gx_XYAqiIXc-lwTLlizWAXxPQJwzXw=s0-d-e1-ft

Read more »

Reactions: Mike Krall

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Sorry, but I disagree. Proof right here.

No Website
No Newsletter
No Reminder Letters/Cards
Answering machine
Scheduling is done on a Weekly Reminder book by hand
My personality isn't the greatest

But usually booked two weeks in advance (exceptions Jan/Feb/March)

Its the SERVICE! Just like Joe Polish said years ago, do something that makes you different from everyone else. I see posts here about cleaning 3500 SF house in one hour. Ra Ra for you. Look at it from the customers standpoint. I can see them scratching their head and saying "how much did I pay for that? Maybe I should be a carpet cleaner"

First comment I get from new customers is that I took longer than the guy they had before. DAH, if you come in and do a job in an hour and I come in next year and it takes two hours and the carpet looks like new and the carpet is dryer - even though it costs more - who do you think they are going to call back???

Website, technology makes or breaks a company? I don't think so.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Sorry, but I disagree. Proof right here.

No Website
No Newsletter
No Reminder Letters/Cards
Answering machine
Scheduling is done on a Weekly Reminder book by hand
My personality isn't the greatest

But usually booked two weeks in advance (exceptions Jan/Feb/March)

Its the SERVICE! Just like Joe Polish said years ago, do something that makes you different from everyone else. I see posts here about cleaning 3500 SF house in one hour. Ra Ra for you. Look at it from the customers standpoint. I can see them scratching their head and saying "how much did I pay for that? Maybe I should be a carpet cleaner"

First comment I get from new customers is that I took longer than the guy they had before. DAH, if you come in and do a job in an hour and I come in next year and it takes two hours and the carpet looks like new and the carpet is dryer - even though it costs more - who do you think they are going to call back???

Website, technology makes or breaks a company? I don't think so.

What if the other who did the carpet in an hour did the same quality as you only used more efficient equipment/techniques?

HouseCall Pro

Jan 15, 2015
San Diego
www.tryhousecall.com
Real Name
Ruben Mier
Business Location
United States
yall charge too much for it
@jtsunbrite Did you know that we have a FREE tier? We actually charge nothing for owner-operators to use our service.

Even for multi-truck operations, our platform is far less expensive than any of our competitors. Since you're on TMF, you even get a 30% discount! Please let me know if you have any questions about our pricing options. I would be happy to help!

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
@jtsunbrite Did you know that we have a FREE tier? We actually charge nothing for owner-operators to use our service.

Even for multi-truck operations, our platform is far less expensive than any of our competitors. Since you're on TMF, you even get a 30% discount! Please let me know if you have any questions about our pricing options. I would be happy to help!
I do around 30 G's a year in CC Transactions..Is your deal on that avail. No Need for the Other Stuff..I Think..Not a Rug sukka any More..

rolandal

Mar 13, 2015
Real Name
Roland Ligtenberg
How can that benefit your Biz? Nothing for Nothing = Nothing! Jus saying..Must be beneficial for all..
Even though we pass on the savings and net nothing, the more people using our system, the higher probability that you'll hopefully share it or talk about it with industry friends. It's all a big snowball that's slowly building up and rolling downhill!

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Even though we pass on the savings and net nothing, the more people using our system, the higher probability that you'll hopefully share it or talk about it with industry friends. It's all a big snowball that's slowly building up and rolling downhill!
lol Down Hill? story of my Life!

Reactions: burbuja2

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
1/4 off the year your not booked . And the rest of the year booked solid , how busy are you who answer phones books jobs, advertises for you ,does your books and so on ?

lol, just not booked two weeks in advance in those months - usually a couple days only.

I return calls before or after the supper hour. Just a 1" ad in the YP. I do the books - Quikbooks pretty easy.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
What if the other who did the carpet in an hour did the same quality as you only used more efficient equipment/techniques?

Then the other guy gets the call, but in REALITY, it doesn't happen. Its pretty simple. the customer sees me there longer and they equate it to getting a better job in addition to seeing amazing results.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Then the other guy gets the call, but in REALITY, it doesn't happen. Its pretty simple. the customer sees me there longer and they equate it to getting a better job in addition to seeing amazing results.

Really strange thinking on the part of customers. I kinda understand it, but it's not always true that the person taking longer does a better job. In most cases the guy that takes forever does so because he's in over his head.

I'm not saying that about you ;) I bring it up because I dealt with this today with one of my long time customers. They decided to check the times in and out clocks and wondered why (Jan/San) we only spent an hour there. It was really odd taking a customer on a tour of their own building showing them that quality of cleaning is not an issue and it doesn't correlate to time.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States

I will read up on it

sparkling clean

May 16, 2012
Real Name
leonard urbina
lol, just not booked two weeks in advance in those months - usually a couple days only.

I return calls before or after the supper hour. Just a 1" ad in the YP. I do the books - Quikbooks pretty easy.
One question how long have you been in business ? How competitive of a market are in? Don't take these questions as a put down , but must if not all would agree that a 1" line add and calling customers back after supper could not work in a competitve market even a slow one , and good work alone would not get that response unless the business has been around for quite some time !