bill

Jun 29, 2008
Southern California
freshcleanhome.com
Real Name
Bill Vivers
Business Location
United States
Wanted to see what you guys are paying for an entry level no experience technician, either hourly or percentage/ commission of van total?

Thanks guys

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’ve been starting off my helpers which I train to be technicians at $11 per hour. At 30 days I put them up to $12 an hour if they are doing good. I’m figuring $15 per hour once a full tech that can work on their own with annual raises.

greg2206

Oct 3, 2011
SC
Real Name
Greg Broome
Business Location
United States
If you want to build a good business you need to hire right, pay well along with incentives such as upsales. Setup a retirement 401K with a match. Need to create a clean and organized working culture. As Howard Partridge says "Be slow to hire and quick to fire" You will know 95% of the time you will know on the first or second job wether the person is a fit or not. Character is important too. Either a person has a work ethic or not, its not something you should feel obligated to even try to do. We as business owners need to make wise business decisions.

greg2206

Oct 3, 2011
SC
Real Name
Greg Broome
Business Location
United States
My lead tech I pay 15.00 per hour and his first year he was able to make a little over $42,000 dollars and I showed him how to buy his first townhome which was accomplished by him. Teach your people how to grow and be "Better People". Carpet Cleaning services is nothing more that a means to the end

Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
Real Name
Patrick Voncannon
One thing I’ve noticed about paying my guys is that the hourly pay doesn’t always sound that attractive but they get many more hours than other jobs, and a lot of that time is drive time. As Greg pointed out his guy is making 42k at 15 bucks an hour.

Reactions: timyager and bill

bill

Jun 29, 2008
Southern California
freshcleanhome.com
Real Name
Bill Vivers
Business Location
United States
One thing I’ve noticed about paying my guys is that the hourly pay doesn’t always sound that attractive but they get many more hours than other jobs, and a lot of that time is drive time. As Greg pointed out his guy is making 42k at 15 bucks an hour.

Well our average drive time is about one hour per day. We also pay on a straight commission base of the van total at the end of day as my guys make a lot more that way then they would an hourly rate.

Reactions: timyager

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
25 dollars an hour 401K 7 paid sick days 12 paid vacation days over time double pay on National holidays Paid Health care Christmas bonus only working 5 days a week.

Reactions: bill

Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
Real Name
Patrick Voncannon
I’ve always wanted to try a commission system but have been hesitant in fear it could cause customer service to suffer because they are just trying to make it to the next job. I have no idea if that’s true or not but I’ve always wondered. Also we serve two markets and it’s not unusual for us to have an hour drive time to a job.

bill

Jun 29, 2008
Southern California
freshcleanhome.com
Real Name
Bill Vivers
Business Location
United States
I’ve always wanted to try a commission system but have been hesitant in fear it could cause customer service to suffer because they are just trying to make it to the next job. I have no idea if that’s true or not but I’ve always wondered. Also we serve two markets and it’s not unusual for us to have an hour drive time to a job.

Well with you having 1hr drive times to and from a job I can see hourly being almost a must for your employees. Most of our drive times are 15-20 sometimes 30

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I start someone (entry) at $20-22 Hourly doing pre vacuuming, hose management, and running the crb and tear down
If they (entry) do upholstery also then its $23-25 hourly pre vacuuming, and agitation, and hose management and tear down

Ive never had an experience tech apply

Im guessing it must not be enough because I get a lot of complaints about it being laborious and "its not what I thought it would be (hard/difficult)" "I thought it was easy money and simple" " I dont see myself doing this type of work, so I quit " or "never mind"

Last edited:

bill

Jun 29, 2008
Southern California
freshcleanhome.com
Real Name
Bill Vivers
Business Location
United States
I start someone (entry) at $20-22 Hourly doing pre vacuuming, hose management, and running the crb and tear down
If they (entry) do upholstery also then its $23-25 hourly pre vacuuming, and agitation, and hose management and tear down

Ive never had an experience tech apply

Im guessing it must not be enough because I get a lot of complaints about it being laborious and "its not what I thought it would be (hard/difficult)" "I thought it was easy money and simple" " I dont see myself doing this type of work, so I quit " or "never mind"

Hahahaha

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
How long is he been with you? What did you start him off at and did he have any experience?
I started him at $15 per hour. He had experience in window cleaning but not carpet cleaning. Quick learner and does a great job. Great with customers

Reactions: bill

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
My lead tech I pay 15.00 per hour and his first year he was able to make a little over $42,000 dollars and I showed him how to buy his first townhome which was accomplished by him. Teach your people how to grow and be "Better People". Carpet Cleaning services is nothing more that a means to the end

is the additional 11k commission or overtime? just curious since full time is like 31k