Tech dropped his tile wand on hardwood floor | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Tech dropped his tile wand on hardwood floor

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
One my long time techs dropped his tool on a clients handmade hardwood floors. He let her know and now she wants us to repair it. Rightfully so. Any suggestions?

IMG_9509.JPG

IMG_9508.JPG

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Why does that look like laminate? Maybe just the pic angle. But it looks like chipped laminate.
This one probably better to get hardwood guy to look at it. Too deep of a gouge. If you can find any balance peices and your good with saws. You can patch it. It looks like factory finish. So better to saw and transplant a balance piece if available.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Lol sorry i know it sucks. But if customer had that hand made custom? You know they will want perfection. Might need to get in contact with the guy who did it. And if possible makes friends with him. Because unfortunately no matter how careful you are. Things happen. And its good to have flooring guys on your side to help get you out of a jam.
Ive been kicking carpet into hardwood thresholds for a wood guy for years. Racking up favors lol. I havnt needed him thankfully. But he'll rush out if i do.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Stuff happens. It's just one damaged board, contact a good hardwood flooring company, preferably the one that did it originally. They'll pop the damaged board and put in a new one. Unless the whole floor needs to be refinished to make it match, which I don't think will be the case, it should be a pretty quick and easy fix that won't cost too much.

Reactions: rob allen

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
3-400 bucks and a good floor guy will make your troubles go away...

write it off on taxes.....
Being that it is a long time employee I am sure he is gutted about the whole thing already.....

lessons learned,
pop on the nose in the life of a business owner and we keep going.

Important thing is to have a happy customer in the end.

Reactions: rob allen

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Why does that look like laminate? Maybe just the pic angle. But it looks like chipped laminate.
This one probably better to get hardwood guy to look at it. Too deep of a gouge. If you can find any balance peices and your good with saws. You can patch it. It looks like factory finish. So better to saw and transplant a balance piece if available.
If it’s floating you can separate it in place and put in new plank. There’s grip tools on the market for that type of repair. Definitely looks like a laminate though

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Stuff happens. It's just one damaged board, contact a good hardwood flooring company, preferably the one that did it originally. They'll pop the damaged board and put in a new one. Unless the whole floor needs to be refinished to make it match, which I don't think will be the case, it should be a pretty quick and easy fix that won't cost too much.
Happens often that the whole floor has to be stripped and re stained. Even engineered wood allows for one sometimes two sandings for refinishing. But that floor looks
Too have random colors which is a plus

Reactions: Robert86

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If it’s floating you can separate it in place and put in new plank. There’s grip tools on the market for that type of repair. Definitely looks like a laminate though
Im a cheater. I cut the lower groove off then fanigle it into place. Glue lubricates and seals the deal :)

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I have worked with wood my entire life, water will solve your problem. If it's truly a real hardwood floor no material was actually removed, only compressed. You need to allow water into the damaged area using playdoh to form a dam and come back the next day to remove and allow it to dry enough to refinish it. Refinishing; maybe a a dye, pigment or combination of the two to match age and uv patina with a suitable topcoat protectant. You can hire this out if you lack the skillset with companies like furniture medic or you can learn on the job... because you aren't charging right!?!?

Anyway woodcraft is your friend and I know that the Chesapeake bay area has so many boat building companies in an hours drive of you that you can put your hands on everything you need tomorrow if you wanted to really make good on it.

Reactions: admin and CCWorks

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I have worked with wood my entire life, water will solve your problem. If it's truly a real hardwood floor no material was actually removed, only compressed.
I don't know, that second pic looks like the wood was gouged to me.

Happens often that the whole floor has to be stripped and re stained. Even engineered wood allows for one sometimes two sandings for refinishing. But that floor looks
Too have random colors which is a plus
I was thinking it doesn't look like the floor is too worn, a little dirty but not real warn and maybe has a matte finish so it's possible the whole floor won't have to be completely sanded and redone. But then the pi is only showing a small part of the floor. Looking at a larger area maybe it'll need some refinishing work.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Hand made custom floor my azz.
It's a laminate floor...
You can clearly see the particle board layer under the top veneer.

Like the lamp that you break suddenly becomes a priceless antique!

Anyway, simple enough fix if you can match it.

Ask if the customer has any spare planks in the box from China...(I mean the antique artisan woodcraft hand made shop)