Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
That's definitely lacking proper fuel delivery. I would bypass the fuel pump with a 12volt pump instead of the one on the valve cover. Those are notorious for going bad.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
That's definitely lacking proper fuel delivery. I would bypass the fuel pump with a 12volt pump instead of the one on the valve cover. Those are notorious for going bad.
Wouldn't a fuel issue be constant? We tried a new pump it's mounted right on the frame of the tm.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
I’m trying to bump this thread. What’s the latest?
I tried checked the float switch troubleshooting, the tm ran fine through the first part of my first job then as I went to move to another part of the house it started acting up again !

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Wouldn't a fuel issue be constant? We tried a new pump it's mounted right on the frame of the tm.
Not necessarily. Those pumps on the valve cover get hot and act up. And electrical ones can short intermittently. So no, it wouldn't have to be constant at all.

Reactions: Timothyscarpet

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Not necessarily. Those pumps on the valve cover get hot and act up. And electrical ones can short intermittently. So no, it wouldn't have to be constant at all.
You might even be experiencing partial vaporlock. Something in the fuel line isn't right.

groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
How many hours on your unit?
I don't know for sure because we had to replace the hour meter but I believe it's around 2000. For the most part I like the machine because it's open and pretty easy to work on, has great heat and vacuum. A couple of things I don't like about it....It seems to be too hot, the muffler right off the back of the engine gets crazy hot and in the summer months the vans interior becomes unbearable. I have had several truckmounts and never had this problem. In fact we had to replace that muffler because it blew a large hole right through the back of it. Anyone see this before?
The other thing I noticed, compared to other truckmounts I own, this one seems to have more vibration, I think having the motor high on the top of the frame may be the reason?

IMG_20190531_155742.jpg

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
@gasmaster5000 That's why I think the fuel delivery may be vapor locking because of the heat inside the van. I would try putting a fan inside the van or open the back door while you're cleaning and see if that helps your issue.
Btw you don't have O2 sensors so it's not the same engine as groutguy. But it still gets super hot inside the van.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
@gasmaster5000 That's why I think the fuel delivery may be vapor locking because of the heat inside the van. I would try putting a fan inside the van or open the back door while you're cleaning and see if that helps your issue.
Btw you don't have O2 sensors so it's not the same engine as groutguy. But it still gets super hot inside the van.
Ok im tracking with you, I need to check the code light again and see if it will tell me anything, were cleaning in wintertime in MN its about 10-15 degrees on avg so hard to believe it would be getting too hot inside the van....I'll give the fan a try. The thing that always keeps me scratching my head is the fact that the thing that sets it off is when you go from suction under load to no load on suction line?

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
The particular air cooled Kohlers on the TCS Chief II’s run extremely hot, that is for sure. One feature I really like on my El Diablo is the ability to plug an air mover into the generator to help expel hot air from the van. My heater “mother boards” last five times as long since I started doing this....as they are heat sensitive. Here in Texas, it gets hot as hell too as you can imagine. I also prefer a joy coupler over belt driven. Regardless, as with any truck mount, problems will arise and you have to adapt and overcome. I think this is an excellent thread for those of us that have these units and we should continue to help each other problem solve when situations arise.

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Ok im tracking with you, I need to check the code light again and see if it will tell me anything, were cleaning in wintertime in MN its about 10-15 degrees on avg so hard to believe it would be getting too hot inside the van....I'll give the fan a try. The thing that always keeps me scratching my head is the fact that the thing that sets it off is when you go from suction under load to no load on suction line?
Another thing to look at is the linkage arm and spring on the kohler. Make sure there is no oil and crud on the linkage. I usually spray them with brake clean because if debris gets on it the spring can get stuck and the engine starts hunting. But from what I can hear it doesn't sound like hunting more like starving. That being said still worth a look.

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Also, let me explain something for helping reasons. If you already know what I'm going to say, then great. When the engine is under load it demands more fuel to keep rpm's from dropping to far. When the load is removed, fuel demand goes back to normal. All this is performed by the cyntrifical flyball governor and the linkage controlling the carburetor.
My suggestion of fuel delivery is just a suggestion to help you cover the bases. Hopefully you get this figured out.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Also, let me explain something for helping reasons. If you already know what I'm going to say, then great. When the engine is under load it demands more fuel to keep rpm's from dropping to far. When the load is removed, fuel demand goes back to normal. All this is performed by the cyntrifical flyball governor and the linkage controlling the carburetor.
My suggestion of fuel delivery is just a suggestion to help you cover the bases. Hopefully you get this figured out.
Could the governor be the culprit?

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Also thanks for elaborating on the fuel demand that makes sense.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
None taken, I have a guy in mind that I may end up having look at. No codes are showing up either. This is a EFI BTW that would mean no carb right?? I hope this gets resolved soon! Until then.....the Chief I is in the limelight!

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
None taken, I have a guy in mind that I may end up having look at. No codes are showing up either. This is a EFI BTW that would mean no carb right?? I hope this gets resolved soon! Until then.....the Chief I is in the limelight!
EFI? I thought it was the carbureted kohler engine. In that case no codes could be timing issue.
Have you tried running a good fuel injector cleaner?