Premium VIP
Jun 22, 2008
Brunswick, Georgia
www.jnccarpetsystems.com
Real Name
James Cooper
Business Location
United States
Starting next week I will take my Vortex off the road for a while to tweak / pimp / and repair / maintain .

I am expecting delivery of a used Butler System , so the plan is to for a start pull the diverter valve , waste tanks and possibly convert to 2.5 .

I will be taking photos as I go . Any suggestions for tweaking / pimping will be appreciated .

Hope to be done in less than a month ,but who knows . If I get too busy i guess I can run the Brute a little to get by .

Thanks in advance

James

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have found 2.5 to be overrated. There are other ways to get full flow imho.
James do you have pics of your truck and system? I would love to share an idea with you.
Rob Allen.

May 26, 2008
Bellevue, Wa (Greater Seattle Area)/Spokane, Washi
Real Name
Rich Eden
I tend to agree with Rob, 2.5" hose may increase airflow but I do believe its overrated.

I mean how much is to much, I run 2" hose to my wand and am able to produce great results, with dry times under 6 hours. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but 2.5" to the wand seems absurd to me. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but I'm getting older not younger and pullin' hose around is not getting easier.

Nick N

May 27, 2008
Texas
www.truckmountforums.com
I ran 2.5 inchhose to the tm. It was a pia to handle, dry times did not improve that much to warrant it. So I sold my hose and went back to what I have done since 1993.

Steve it just aint worth the money. I could have bought season tickets to UNM or MSu basketball season .

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
RC If your cleaning with 2" hose at the wand you aint a wimp. Asking one of my guys to do that is like asking them to jump off a bridge.

Dave Rampage

Jun 28, 2008
Real Name
Dave
I use 2.5 with my AT. I am able to run it at only 1300 rpm's and still get it dry before I leave and I only go through 1 gallon of fuel per hour.

Dave
Posted via Mobile Device

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
RC If your cleaning with 2" hose at the wand you aint a wimp. Asking one of my guys to do that is like asking them to jump off a bridge.
Hahaha that is too funny Ara...peace

2.5 hose is over rated and not neccessary in most applications imho.

Dave Rampage

Jun 28, 2008
Real Name
Dave
Without a doubt, with a number 6 blower 2.5 inch hose makes a huge difference. I cannot speak for any other size blower.

Dave
Posted via Mobile Device

musclehelps

Aug 26, 2008
minnesota
Real Name
scott grothe
2.5 in hose made a huge diff

i converted my vortex over to 2.5 50 ft made another hole in my tank jeff at green glides helped me with lots of great ideas that has made my vortex a real animal running a titanium with 03 jets slotted green glide what a cleaning difference

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have a 5.9 blower and found a way to never have to use 2.5 hose and get the same results for under 50 bucks. So I have found 2.5 overrated in my own experience. I took off my 2.5 inch and replaced it with 2.0 and run dual wand fantastic.

As my grandfather used to tell me, there is more than one way to skin a cat.:hi:

B&BGaryC

User
Jan 4, 2009
Billings MT
Real Name
Gary Carson
I imagine only running 2.5 and not doing any other modifications will not net impressive results. You get used to the 2.5 in hose anyway. I run the 2.5 inch hose, a bayco vac relief and a greenhorn wand. Put those together and my 27/47 setup gets half hour dry times.

Before that it was taking all day.

Keep in mind, I have to spin the airpath in each room for 15 or 20 minutes to do that, but I don't think it's overrated. You've just got to stack your mods.

I don't hook the hose to my wand anyway, I leave a 7 ft whip of 2 inch hose.

I didn't even read this thread title right when I clicked it. I thought I was going to see a vortex going mud-bogging to get to some back-woods account.

Druid

Jan 7, 2009
Mineral Wells, WV
Real Name
Ron Druid
I have Butler tm’s w/the baby blowers. I have disconnected the live reels and I put on 50' of 2.5 and 70' of 2". That is all the reel will hold. I also use a Y pipe and both of my vac ports off the tank. 85% of the time we can reach the job with just the 70'. I added the 20' piece because we always seem to come up 10' short with just the 50' of 2". The system looks very clean in the truck and does not distract form the appearance of Butler system. With the 2" right to the wand and the use of glides, we cut our drying time in half to an average of less than 2 hours. We did this out of necessity. I use to ask our clients, “do you want it clean or do you want it dry”. Today, if you can't give them both and guarantee dry to the touch in an hour (with the assistance of dryers), you are no competition of mine.

Billy

User
Jun 19, 2008
Real Name
Please Remove
Business Location
United States
Everyone always thinks their way is the only way James I went with 2.5" knowing if I didn't like it I could reduce it easier than enlarge it. I now have gotten used to it over the time we have had the AT so the size isn't a big deal to me anymore. I use 2.5" all the way in accept for a 18' 2.0" lead hose.

If I didn't believe there was a difference I wouldn't continue to use 2.5" since it limits my hose reel capacity to 300' + two 18' leads instead of 400' or so. 2.5" with a short 2.0" lead hose is nothing after you get used to it. Now on the other hand 3/8" solution hose is always heavy no matter how used to it you are.

I agree with Dave also if fuel is an issue you can run at lower RPMs & still get good dry times using 2.5". But you can get even faster better dry times running at higher RPMs IMO. In most cases even using the RX-20 we don't even need the AirPaths anymore. I also have found if you use hotter temps when you can it dries faster also.

James the best advice I can give you is don't just listen to me, Rob, Dave or anyone else for that matter if you are already going to tweak why not go for it & judge for your self since a V & AT both can benefit from the mod IMHO that is. Look at it this way if a #6 blower was the same as a #5.9 why have both. Same thing can be said for a 5.0L engine compared to a 4.9L engine they aren't the same even though only 0.1L difference.

James you also already know something else that Dave told me when I was buying my AT he said I wouldn't really understand what I was buying until I actually was using it for an extended time. He was 100% correct IMO. I am still amazed at what my truck can do everyday.

Point is unless the people that are giving advice on what to do actually have owned & used one ask your self if they really understand the truck enough to give advice about it. I know I looked at trucks for over 2 years & thought I knew allot but found out I didn't know as much as I thought I did.

Good Luck James lets run a cell battery down sometime in the future again haha