Tagging equipment

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
www.robertscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
I have just purchased a whole list of restoration equipment ( blowers, dehumidifiers, etc ) and am looking for the best way to tag each piece with my company name. What works best for you?

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
There is a nice system that embeds an RFID chip in each piece of equipment. This can be used to track where they are, what job they are on, how long they were on the job and such. For companies with a lot of equipment, this can save lots of money. Consider what just one or two lost dehus would be in a year. But the system may not be worth the cost for the smaller restoration company.

I think the name is Invisitag. The equipment and program that monitors everything is in the low $3,000 range. Then about $1 for each piece of equipment to be tagged.

Reactions: aloha one

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
There is a nice system that embeds an RFID chip in each piece of equipment. This can be used to track where they are, what job they are on, how long they were on the job and such. For companies with a lot of equipment, this can save lots of money. Consider what just one or two lost dehus would be in a year. But the system may not be worth the cost for the smaller restoration company.

I think the name is Invisitag. The equipment and program that monitors everything is in the low $3,000 range. Then about $1 for each piece of equipment to be tagged.

Yea, thats pretty nice, I'm not sure I'm at that point yet but hopefully down the road. Anything less expensive in your bag of ideas?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Yea, thats pretty nice, I'm not sure I'm at that point yet but hopefully down the road. Anything less expensive in your bag of ideas?

Only something standard. We used a stencil and spray painted our company name on the equipment.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Many of our folks do just that - stencil and spray. Some have nice stickers, complete with bar codes; others use an engraving tool like a Dremel or a Rotozip to carve an ID into the unit. I've seen a few folks with grommeted metal nameplates on their stuff, but I imagine that's a wee bit on the expensive end too.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Or just lean on the equipment till ya take it back to the shop. But of course this could be difficult if you have multiple jobs. Oh well that's what they make minimum wagers for! lol

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

Wow can it tell me how long a vacuum was run for or if the trash cart moved at all?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT

I just found out that we have a demo of the Invisitag unit. Ron Colling, our national Restoration Manager wants to get it off his desk. If you or anyone else wants a screaming great deal on the Invisitag RFID system, contact Ron or send me your phone number and I will have Ron give you a call.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Scott do you know the range a tagged item has to be in to be able to scan and locate it?

I didn't see that info on their website.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scott do you know the range a tagged item has to be in to be able to scan and locate it?

I didn't see that info on their website.

I am not certain. I think 20 to 25'. Scanning at the door of the warehouse and or as it leaves the van should be easily with-in this range. But ROn Colling has used this system and knows it well.

COntact him via email [email protected] for more info.

BayouCitySteam

Aug 16, 2016
Houston Texas
www.bayoucitysteam.com
Real Name
Mark Croudy Jr.
Business Location
United States
I just found out that we have a demo of the Invisitag unit. Ron Colling, our national Restoration Manager wants to get it off his desk. If you or anyone else wants a screaming great deal on the Invisitag RFID system, contact Ron or send me your phone number and I will have Ron give you a call.

I'm a little late on this thread... but I left my first piece of equipment at a home and am kicking myself.

I am VERY interested in an RFID system. And 20-25' would be an acceptable range for us. We are still a small operation.
Any other systems anyone know of besides this invisatag?

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I like idea of etching in with a soldering gun as mentioned earlier in the thread. Here is my big issue. Clients. You (rather employees most time) can leave something behind and the client will not tell you.

Tony from Chicago

Nov 1, 2016
Real Name
Anthony Almerigi
I use a craftsman engraver to put our name and phone # on everything. The bigger equipment also gets stencil spray painted. It keeps honest people honest but it doesn't help when somebody wants to rip you off

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
I'm starting with a paint stencil and some form of metal tag or engraving. We are starting small so hopefully if something is missing it will be obvious. Somewhere down the road we will need a better system.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I use a craftsman engraver to put our name and phone # on everything. The bigger equipment also gets stencil spray painted. It keeps honest people honest but it doesn't help when somebody wants to rip you off

Kind of a funny story...

A few years ago we did a construction cleanup for a $200M science center. Of all the equipment we had there that cost $4k or more the one piece that disappeared was a double headed halogen light with our name painted on. It was actually quite infuriating at the time as the building was 4 or 5 floors and combing through the million + sq' monster to find that damn light was not possible. It was at the stage where there was just string lighting and so lights on that job was like finding a gold mine, but it would have been nice if they just borrowed it and put it back when they were done.

The funny part was 2 or 3 years later they called us back to do more work. Lo and behold in the area we had to work there tucked in a corner stood a yellow, double headed halogen light with our name painted on it :D