Tackling customer criticism head on | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Tackling customer criticism head on

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
With the age of the internet and how people take to review sites right away to voice their opinion, are any of directly dealing with this issue at the time of the job to help avoid negative reviews?

What I mean is, when I finish the job, I hand the customer a 2 page information packet. I am considering including a page that basically reiterates our guarantee and asks them to contact us first rather then take to yelp or angieslist with a negative comment. In the past this may seem overkill, but it seems to me people would rather trash a company online before giving that company a chance to correct this issue.

I would rather be proactive rather then sit back and wait.

Reactions: StevenB. and 212.0

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
With the age of the internet and how people take to review sites right away to voice their opinion, are any of directly dealing with this issue at the time of the job to help avoid negative reviews?

... it seems to me people would rather trash a company online before giving that company a chance to correct this issue.
Absolutely! Many CC'ers will get totally trashed with a slashing, nasty online review without their customer even hinting that they are unhappy and/or giving the cleaner a chance to fix the problem. (People are weird today and everyone is a "big man" behind a keyboard!)

That is why we recently changed our Quality Check Call suggestions to do an Immediate Quality Call check. This lets your miffed client vent BEFORE they get to their keyboard and stops most "surprise reviews". HERE is the IQC script we suggest using.

Steve

PS Another way to avoid negative reviews is to obsess over providing Value Added Service. Just like with everything (and especially if you have employees) we all do better with a checklist.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed Promise

All work performed today is covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with the result of cleaning, we will return at no charge and re-clean the area. If you are still unhappy we will refund your money for the area in question. Things not covered under carpet cleaning is general wear and tear, untreated pet staining, and filtration lines. Things not covered under pressure washing is spots on windows, extreme dirt buildup, and fading from sun damage on vinyl siding. Please don’t hesitate to call with any questions, concerns, or comments.

Before going to an online review website with any negative feedback, please give us the chance to make it right. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction and we stand behind every job we do!

Reactions: Paul Brown

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Here is my current wording, any suggestions.

Mar 23, 2012
Surprise Arizona
Real Name
Ty 212
Business Location
United States
I hate how easy it is for people to go online and trash a business,

The other night I sat here and watched a lady who was a disgruntled ex employee of a dog grooming business go on a Facebook group swap shop and claim the owner yelled at and hit dogs. Come to find out she was let go in Sept and just decided to tell people this now and had zero proof. The response was insane! People shared it all over other group swap sites and it blew up, hundreds of comments then it went to everyone ganging up and going to the biz FB page and her yelp page and left tons of 1 star reviews. Not once did the owner get to defend herself, literally went from 4 star with only one bad review to a stack of bad reviews in a matter of hours. People even said in the reviews " I heard she did this" yet they left a review. It was sad to see this lady's business get crushed online over allegations she never got to defend herself.

Sorry not really relevant but crazy to see how fast some of this crap can happen these days

Reactions: Gasoline

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
It was sad to see this lady's business get crushed online over allegations she never got to defend herself.

Sorry not really relevant but crazy to see how fast some of this crap can happen these days
I think your post is totally "relevant", Ty. The internet is a two-edged marketing sword. We all love the targeted marketing (much of it free) that going online provides. But the unjustified negative review thing (actually bullying) is a bummer...

Steve

PS We might as well take advantage of the "good" the internet provides in our marketing. HERE are a whole bunch of targeted online marketing ideas.

Reactions: jaymark

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States

What I mean is, when I finish the job, I hand the customer a 2 page information packet. I am considering including a page that basically reiterates our guarantee and asks them to contact us first rather then take to yelp or angieslist with a negative comment. In the past this may seem overkill, but it seems to me people would rather trash a company online before giving that company a chance to correct this issue.

I would rather be proactive rather then sit back and wait.
For my eBay business I started saying the following and it can be incorporated into carpet cleaning business:

Dear Client,

I am happy to have provided you with the most outstanding customer service possible and hope you enjoy the Craigslist Ad I've created for you. I am a growing business and do appreciate a positive review at your earliest convenience. If you feel I don't deserve a positive review please contact me first to voice your concerns. I will do my best to make it right with you! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to help your business succeed.

Regards,
Tiffany

Short sweet and two the point...

Take it one step further and use @dmreed4311 method for more positive reviews. Genius!

Reactions: jaymark

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Sorry it took a while to respond. Have been on TMF for awhile.

A lot of good info, and I have implemented and started reviewing our satisfaction guarantee as well as our promise to make things right at the end of the job. I really emphasis a customer calling us first to make it right rather then go onto google, yelp.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
@212.0

Google the company 'as the fur flies" in Warminster PA.

Same thing happened to them as well.

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
www.steamteamcarpetcleaningnepa.com
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
For my eBay business I started saying the following and it can be incorporated into carpet cleaning business:

Dear Client,

I am happy to have provided you with the most outstanding customer service possible and hope you enjoy the Craigslist Ad I've created for you. I am a growing business and do appreciate a positive review at your earliest convenience. If you feel I don't deserve a positive review please contact me first to voice your concerns. I will do my best to make it right with you! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to help your business succeed.

Regards,
Tiffany

Short sweet and two the point...

Take it one step further and use @dmreed4311 method for more positive reviews. Genius!
I wasn't aware you had a ebay business. Selling Craig's list ads?