Tackless strip and crumbling concrete subfloor? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Tackless strip and crumbling concrete subfloor?

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I teach guys to hit strip i tell them to get back from the wall. Get a comfortable reach. And never over reach or crowd yourself against the wall.
Keep your eye on the nail . You look at the base youll hit the base. Look at the nail youll hit the nail. Just like baseball. Keep your eye on the ball when batting. You also take a few test hits. Somtimes it is a one hard hit. Other times you tap it to crack the shell then smack it home or nail it in like lumber. You get a ear and feel for it with experience. Sometimes you just have to shoot that sht with a ramset. Just put some card board against the wall. Gunpowder burns paint. dont ask lol.
Good point! At least half the time I'm looking base board so that's why I'm missing the nails.

Reactions: keep it clean

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Tip on gluing strip to floor is to cut the strips down. Cut them into 4 pieces. This will keep them from bowing and lifting off the floor over night. Also use the architectural strips. They are wider and give more surface area. Those 1" strips on concrete are garbage.
Where do you get the architectural strips? Also, do you use a carpet trimmer when you stretch or install carpet?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Where do you get the architectural strips? Also, do you use a carpet trimmer when you stretch or install carpet?
It goes by different names. I get strip from our carpet wholesale warehouse. If i ask for double wide or commercial they give me the wrong one. So i just ask for architectural. Think its says premium commercial on the box now but it will change.

Nope. I use a hook knife to tuck and just a knife for trimming.

This particular one below says it is prenailed with 5/8". I use the ones that come with 11/16". The 11/16 is thin and sometimes helps getting around the stones in the concrete. But 5/8 is good in other situations like when its hard as hell. I have small buckets of these in 5/8", 3/4",and 1". Concrete is such a bit in being unpredictable that i need to carry all these different things with me.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Here's a guide. I think our strip is the widest. Im not sure ive never measured it. I know tin snips take 2 bites to get through though.
Screenshot_20191219-082612_Drive.jpg

Reactions: MikeGaure