Suggestions are needed | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Suggestions are needed

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
A customer wants his sun room floor cleaned and coated. I haven't seen it but he sent this pic. He thinks its some kind of Blue Stone. Hes not really sure. He did put down a cheep Home Depot sealer probably over 10 years ago. My question is do i need to strip the floor and how can i test to see if the sealer is still there. Will using a Duplex DP420 Floor Scrubber and a spinner for extraction be enough. Any suggestions for PSI on spinner i don't want to break up the stone.
Thank you,
Joe

Sent from my SM-G930V using TMF Forums mobile app

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Looks like there is some sealer left there, especially in the grout. Find out exactly what sealer he used and how he applied it. Look up the sealer and see what instructions it gives for removing it. That will be the first step in determining what method you will need to use.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
You will need to strip the floor. can't tell from the pic but it seem like the whitish looking film on some the tiles could be old sealer gone bad.

the type stone is slate and it can handle almost anything and everything from acids to high alkaline products.

tools you will need something more aggressive is my guess. if you have a 175 you can use that with a concrete brush.

I would not use pads on this as the stone is soft and uneven. it will get damaged "sanded" and the lower areas would not even get touched by the pad.

Maybe you want to offer color enhancer penetrating sealer after the floor is stripped and clean. He will love it.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
You will need to strip the floor. can't tell from the pic but it seem like the whitish looking film on some the tiles could be old sealer gone bad.

the type stone is slate and it can handle almost anything and everything from acids to high alkaline products.

tools you will need something more aggressive is my guess. if you have a 175 you can use that with a concrete brush.

I would not use pads on this as the stone is soft and uneven. it will get damaged "sanded" and the lower areas would not even get touched by the pad.

Maybe you want to offer color enhancer penetrating sealer after the floor is stripped and clean. He will love it.
I don't have a 175. The DP420 CRB has a black brush thats very aggressive hopefully that will be enough. Thanks alot for your advice.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I don't have a 175. The DP420 CRB has a black brush thats very aggressive hopefully that will be enough. Thanks alot for your advice.

OH OK if you have the black brushes those will work just fine. Just to help it, buy a good stripper and make it a little strong.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

I would look into renting a 175 for this job or even check eBay or Craig's list for a used one. You can usually find a good used one for between $100-$300.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Are you sure that's slate Martin? It looks pretty smooth for being slate.
At least the tile first tile that is little bit under the rug seems to be. It could also be faked slate ceramic. But either way, slate and ceramic the same processes.
Just the sealing part would be the difference. but Joe can test it if he gets the job. @Superior Sealing Solutions with a razor blade scrape in a hidden corner one of the tiles. if you get powder out of it and the appearance changes to whitish looking scraped, you got slate if you get nothing but metal transfer to the floor (black marks dont by the razor blade) you have ceramic. I fyou do have ceramic, then just seal the grout.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
At least the tile first tile that is little bit under the rug seems to be. It could also be faked slate ceramic. But either way, slate and ceramic the same processes.
Just the sealing part would be the difference. but Joe can test it if he gets the job. @Superior Sealing Solutions with a razor blade scrape in a hidden corner one of the tiles. if you get powder out of it and the appearance changes to whitish looking scraped, you got slate if you get nothing but metal transfer to the floor (black marks dont by the razor blade) you have ceramic. I fyou do have ceramic, then just seal the grout.
Its definitely a natural surface not stamped concrete or ceramic. I will strip to be safe then coat with sealer. Thank you all for your knowledge and advice. Will post after pics.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
CRB not heavy enough.

I've never seen slate with those patterns. I almost agree with Mike looks kind of stamped in some areas but not all.

If that's a hardwood floor next to the 'slate' make sure you mask it off good.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Ha, that almost looks like a hardwood floor there but I'm pretty sure it's a table.

Reactions: Mike Krall

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Ha, that almost looks like a hardwood floor there but I'm pretty sure it's a table.
Yeah there's some kinda picture play going on there :D would be nice if they turned the lights on for the poor guy too.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
CRB not heavy enough.

I've never seen slate with those patterns. I almost agree with Mike looks kind of stamped in some areas but not all.

The customer is a builder he says he's no geologist but would bet that its blue stone.

Reactions: Mike Krall

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
The customer is a builder he says he's no geologist but would bet that its blue stone.

The other posters here are smarter than me but all the slate I've encountered aren't that uniform in color as what is in the picture. It doesn't usually have the reliefs in the tile like that either.

Blue stone is a better guess.

Whatever it is someone spent some time installing it with those varied sizes.

Even if it is blue stone Todd is on the money for cleaning it.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
The other posters here are smarter than me but all the slate I've encountered aren't that uniform in color as what is in the picture. It doesn't usually have the reliefs in the tile like that either.

Blue stone is a better guess.

Whatever it is someone spent some time installing it with those varied sizes.

Even if it is blue stone Todd is on the money for cleaning it.
Thats some old school construction probably 50 plus years on just that addition. When they were building for longevity and quality not quantity. The main house is closer to 80 or 90 years and still solid.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
One caution. If you use a spinner keep your pressure down or you will get halo rings.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums