Suction/PSI Question | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Suction/PSI Question

Discussion in 'Portable Carpet Cleaning' started by SafeChoiceCleaning, Oct 12, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. SafeChoiceCleaning

Jun 3, 2017
    Male
    Cleaning Business Owner
    Goshen, Indiana
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    #1 SafeChoiceCleaning, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    I wish I would have spent some time on this Forum before purchasing my first Portable, but for now, it is what it is lol!

I bought the Prospector PE500 Carpet Extractor with Heat, 500 PSI, Dual 3-Stage.
    (140 inches of water lift; 97 CFM)

I have no plans for full-time carpet cleaning, but this purchase was for add-on cleaning for my office cleaning accounts and house cleaning accounts, plus I use the extraction for tile and grout cleaning.

Before I start cleaning carpets, I would like to establish a starting point for psi.
    I'm thinking 325psi for carpet with padding and 425psi for carpet without padding?

Am I in the ballpark?

Thanks, Scott

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.Steamer

Mr.Steamer Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    That was the same machine I started with...it was a great piece for me. I always ran 200-250 psi, never went higher. Didn't want to over saturate carpets and not have the vacuum to extract and end up with bigger problems. I don't think you made a mistake if that's what you could afford, but run the hell out of it, save up and buy a Nautilus machine...or a mount.

3. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,607 / 0 / -0
    If I had to make a rough guess, the Prospector is just the private-branded JonDon version of the Sandia machines - which aren't bad units. Maybe not the heaviest-duty in the market, but also not the heaviest, lol, easy to maneuver around.

I used a Ninja for quite some time and never had to go above about 250 psi, even on dense residential. The heat at those low pressures is immense and gave great results on greasy messes. Not to mention nice dry times.

4. Mr.Steamer

Mr.Steamer Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    You are absolutely correct. Use better chems and agitation and you’ll be just fine.

5. seagrtj

seagrtj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    MO
    Ratings:
    +909 / 4 / -0
    Yes, the Prospector line is a private labeled Sandia Sniper.

6. Qwikdry

Qwikdry Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,173 / 11 / -0
    i agree, right now i am running a portable for the winter time. my van with my TM went out. so it is now winterized. my portable uses dual 6.6 vacuum motors. 200 psi is all i use on it. i use big jets for more flow and hook up to customers hot water from a sink. it cleans awesome and also dries fast too. portables aren't all that bad, just a little more time and work setting up. but they clean well. i did a 7 rooms and hall job today in about 2-3 hours not bad for portable. i installed auto fill in my portable that saves time not filling with buckets. also re plumbed everything in my portable to 2 inch all the way from the motors to the barb on the front 2" i am able to clean with 50-65 feet of hose with no real loss in suction as far as cleaning goes.

7. RAW Prespray

RAW Prespray Preferred Vendor

Sep 29, 2011
    Development Manager
    La Porte, IN
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    I'd say those psi's are fine if you're not running too far from the machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Odin

Odin Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,200 / 46 / -0
    do not go over 150 psi

9. Fedri

Fedri Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Male
    Mississauga Canada
    Ratings:
    +866 / 7 / -0
    I do agree with all the folks who have made comments. I also want to add as well based on my experience. I also started with a similar machine with high lift but low cfm (series set up), these type of machines will work fine if you don't go more than 25ft of hose. Also psi is not the key to do a proper cleaning. After examining the carpet, vacuum is the first step you shouldn't skip to remove the dry soil(trust me it will make a difference in your cleaning experience), spraying a good brand of a pre-spray thoroughly is also a key, agitate the carpet with a crb is another thing that you should not skip, at the end rinsing with 200 plus psi will do the job. Psi has a lot of variables, for example nylon carpet is soft and you should use lower psi then a poly, another example is that if you have a 2 jetted wand then you won't need not so much pressure then a 4 jetted wand because in a 2 jetted wand the pressure will be divided in to 2 jets rather to 4 or 5 jets, so 2 jet wand will have more pressure on the carpet then a 4 jetted but 4 or 5 jets will have more flow then 2 jets it all depending on the sizes of the jets. Another example is if the jets are too close to the carpet will not require high psi then a wand with jets that are higher in position towards the carpet......... You need to do lots of research and reading to have an idea.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fedri

Fedri Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Male
    Mississauga Canada
    Ratings:
    +866 / 7 / -0
    Also if you decide to buy another portable in the future, to run long hose runs with 2 in, strongly suggest you to buy a portable with high cfm (parallel configured).

11. goomer

goomer Well-Known Member

I agree with Fredi, there are a lot of other things to consider to hone in an answer other than just vacuum power.

Can't forget how important wand technique is.

By adjusting your wand work, you should be able to establish a standard wand sequence for your bread-n-butter psi, and also make adjustments that will counter the risks associated with over-wetting as you raise your psi as conditions warrant.

As you go higher, you should adjust your stroke speed and frequency of dry passes.

• Like Like x 1