Stripping and Waxing Pricing

sherva

Oct 10, 2017
Real Name
Jacob Sherva
Hi all,
I have been scavenging all over the internet to find accurate pricing for stripping and waxing VCT. I have knowledge and my own equipment to run this job, but have always had problems with pricing out these bigger jobs as I do not want to be shortchanged. One of the problems I have ran into with this specific job is that I am expected to get this done in 2 nights. The business I am doing is between 4500-5000 square feet. This grocery store has older vct with approximately 12-15 layers of old wax applied to the floor. I am thinking of pricing this out at .35 per square feet. I also need some advice on how to tackle this job as I know I am going to need at least a crew of 5-7 people. As of right now what I am thinking of doing is have three stripping machines going at once and have 2 people running up and down each aisle cleaning up the baseboards. Any feedback on pricing, proper steps to go about this job, and other things to know would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks,
Sherva

Reactions: Matt Bonawits

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
First off your price is WAY to low. You should be in the area of .60-.75 ( depending on your market of course)
But with the equipment and the time line as well as the number of people your talking you'll not make any money at your price point no matter what the market dictates.
Second cleaning baseboards is an extra cost. The only thing included when stripping with the baseboard is wiping off of the mess you'll make. Unless you have a machine like a side winder propane stripping machine you'll not make your time line with the number of coats on the floor.

Reactions: kjleonard.kl

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
I don't charge .60-.75 a square foot. I've been underbidded at .40 a sq ft here in Chicago.. so you really have to feel the customer out. I have a baseline rate but I'll charge a little more if I know the customer is going to work with me. Rarely do I go under .35 sq ft because I value my work and often times I make more with material pricing. Price based on your work and your market. Your biggest problem will be the 12-15 coats of wax. If u being on 5-7 people u have to charge closer to .60. Once you do all the payouts Ull end up making $1000 for 6k sq ft? Not enough for me. Try to keep labor to a minimum but u will need the man power with 15 coats of wax. Long 8" blades and you might have to strip the floor a few times. Be careful with those bigger jobs

Reactions: waxman

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Think about it really. Do you care what anyone else charges? If you can't make any money at a given rate why does that even matter. Now if you have some of the new amazing speed stripping/waxing gear/machines out there then charge accordingly.

When I did a ton of vct I charged (this is in the 90s) $1 for the first 300 square feet. and 60¢ for the rest. With a percentage increase for any pain in the butt circumstances. Like having to do half one day and come back to finish for whatever reason they come up with.

You need to know your numbers to come up with a price. You don't need to know anything about what someone else charges. How much can you strip/wax an hour. How many sq ft does your stripper cover and then of course your floor finish.

Now take the number of man hours that job will take and multiply it by how much you need to make per hour (or use the dollar amount you pay your help but add into that taxes and insurances). That will give you a dollar amount to charge for labor.

Now figure out how much stripper and floor finish you're going to need and add about 10% for consumables i.e. mops. Multiply the cost of the gallons by how many gallons of each you'll need and you will have the dollar amount for materials to add to the labor. Add to the two numbers labor and materials a profit of anywhere between 10 and 100 percent.

[email protected]

Sep 7, 2017
Long Beach
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
that sounds like a gnarly job. Its going to be a LOT of work.. if it were me, I'd go in there with my head up high with a 1.00 per sq. ft. to strip and wax a floor that old that has not been maintained. let them know the cost to do it in the future will be half the cost! its going to cost them to make that floor right again and if they have you do it again in the future it will just cost them more in the long run.

I don't strip and wax for less than 2.00 per sq. ft., larger jobs like this one I would come down to 1.00. I price it so high because I don't like to do it very much but I still get the jobs and make good money for it. sometimes more than not you will get a job for being one of the highest bids, its a psychological thing..

sherva

Oct 10, 2017
Real Name
Jacob Sherva
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like their work is valuable. I have done outstanding jobs before and had individuals undermine my pricing. I appreciate the feedback and am very nervous to do this job. I am using Buckeye Juggernaut stripper, although I feel this job is going to be a bit to do as well, because I have done this same store before when I was 16. The owner expected us to use the equivalent of a box cutter blade for scrapers cleaning up the baseboards and give us a time period of 8 hours a night between three people. As a result the baseboards were not done correctly piles of wax were leftover due to this. Yellowing along the baseboards etc etc. As a 16 year old I didn't know what to expect as a result I was paid a total of about 130 dollars. Now I am not working under the store, but rather as an independent.
Here's an example of some work I have done before. I charged a little under 2000 dollars for supplies, labor, and all the other overhead costs.
IMG_0677[1].PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: zeefro

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
Looks good! I also factor it in per hour. I have very low overhead costs. Some strip jobs I make$60 an hour and others I make $30. They sorta even out. The customer and all the good things that can come from them is the real payoff. I love referrals!

SSmall66

Nov 2, 2012
Frederick County, MD
Real Name
Steven Small
Business Location
United States
I use a term called CODB. The Cost OF Doing Business. Never do work just to do work. We all want to stay busy, value your trade. U also need to take into consideration the wear and tear on your vehicles, equipment, pads etc. Let people pay the cheap guy. Usually they will get a half done job. Always give yourself wiggle room if the customer wants to negotiate. I have a rule if a customer ask, Ill give them 10% off. If they dont regular price.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Strip and wax is something I was never interested in, the rate here is hilariously low and the guys who do it are full blown meth heads literally running up and down the ailes of grocery stores with floor machines.

I know one company does whole grocery stores for $150.

[email protected]

Sep 7, 2017
Long Beach
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
Strip and wax is something I was never interested in, the rate here is hilariously low and the guys who do it are full blown meth heads literally running up and down the ailes of grocery stores with floor machines.

I know one company does whole grocery stores for $150.

that's enough for a fat sack!

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
As a side note- I've done floor stripping and waxing for nearly 30 years. I make FAR more money by the hour than carpet cleaning. The cost of over head is much cheaper than the $60k truck mount investment I made. When you compare chemical cost's on both when done properly there both equal. I can also say that stripping and waxing has a lot more satisfaction upon completion than carpet cleaning. Although I do love both. The reason a lot of guys don't like stripping and waxing is they've either never learned to do it properly or got the right training. (When I say they didn't learn it properly I'm meaning how to do it with less physical labor) learning all the tricks of the trade is the key to making the big money at this work.

Reactions: jjj and sherva

WizCleanPdx

May 25, 2015
Portland, OR
www.wizardcleaning-pdx.com
Real Name
Jack Starr
Business Location
United States
Think about it really. Do you care what anyone else charges? If you can't make any money at a given rate why does that even matter. Now if you have some of the new amazing speed stripping/waxing gear/machines out there then charge accordingly.

When I did a ton of vct I charged (this is in the 90s) $1 for the first 300 square feet. and 60¢ for the rest. With a percentage increase for any pain in the butt circumstances. Like having to do half one day and come back to finish for whatever reason they come up with.

You need to know your numbers to come up with a price. You don't need to know anything about what someone else charges. How much can you strip/wax an hour. How many sq ft does your stripper cover and then of course your floor finish.

Now take the number of man hours that job will take and multiply it by how much you need to make per hour (or use the dollar amount you pay your help but add into that taxes and insurances). That will give you a dollar amount to charge for labor.

Now figure out how much stripper and floor finish you're going to need and add about 10% for consumables i.e. mops. Multiply the cost of the gallons by how many gallons of each you'll need and you will have the dollar amount for materials to add to the labor. Add to the two numbers labor and materials a profit of anywhere between 10 and 100 percent.

I totally concur. When we think about what the other guy charges, we set ourselves up for a race to the bottom. It’s all about your fixed and variable costs. You need to make sure you are making a profit. Otherwise, you’ll be out of business soon.

WizCleanPdx

May 25, 2015
Portland, OR
www.wizardcleaning-pdx.com
Real Name
Jack Starr
Business Location
United States
that sounds like a gnarly job. Its going to be a LOT of work.. if it were me, I'd go in there with my head up high with a 1.00 per sq. ft. to strip and wax a floor that old that has not been maintained. let them know the cost to do it in the future will be half the cost! its going to cost them to make that floor right again and if they have you do it again in the future it will just cost them more in the long run.

I don't strip and wax for less than 2.00 per sq. ft., larger jobs like this one I would come down to 1.00. I price it so high because I don't like to do it very much but I still get the jobs and make good money for it. sometimes more than not you will get a job for being one of the highest bids, its a psychological thing..

I agree. I dealt with a situation like this where a previous company just layered up 10-15 coats of finish. It took multiple times of stripping and scraping to clear the floor. If the customer can see first hand and understand what the work entails, then they will respect the price for the work.

Julius P

Dec 14, 2017
Real Name
Julius Puras
Need help. We have to strip and wax VCT 40k fabric material strore. We have two 175, 30inch eagle propane strip machine, 33inch Clarke encore, two Tennant vet vacuums. Question how many people we need and how many hours is takes? We do have experience to strip and wax small 1k areas.