Strip/seal gas station Floor Monthly. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Strip/seal gas station Floor Monthly.

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
Thanks in advance everybody-heres my question.

Minimart/gas station vct flooring.
Fly in, prespray floors, pull out low speed and stripper pad, scrub, extract in about two hrs.

Theu want me in every four weeks or so...
And want something to put a bit of shone on the floor- even tho they know itll get chewed ip by pallet jacks and such.

I can have it scrubbed and dry in about 75-100 minutes.

One Quick coat of betco hard as nails finish maybe in the way out...

I cant debate higher than $120.00

And- I know this is low end work- but i need to feed my family.

Any suggestions on how to really pull this together?

I have a niche in my area no one wants to do.

Theres a guy doing this for 60 (yes $60.00) a store. I dont know if hes moonlighting or what-

Im having success gaining mini mart owners over- but Id like some suggestions to maximize my profits for this aspect.

Thoughts?

Any special tricks to make this work?

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
As much as I hate to say this, your going to be sorry. You’ll always be known as the guy that does the cheap work. You can’t ever negotiate up when your at rock bottom. This is a business mistake. However if your in a position of needing to feed a family I don’t blame you. Do the best you can. I wish you the very best. It’s not an easy world out there and God bless you for taking care of your family. I’d suggest you purchase the very cheapest supplies you can buy. They really won’t care about the quality of the job when there paying so little. What there going to be happy with is when they walk in and see a high shine. No gas station is going to look that close at the edges and corners. Hope this helps

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
As much as I hate to say this, your going to be sorry. You’ll always be known as the guy that does the cheap work. You can’t ever negotiate up when your at rock bottom. This is a business mistake. However if your in a position of needing to feed a family I don’t blame you. Do the best you can. I wish you the very best. It’s not an easy world out there and God bless you for taking care of your family. I’d suggest you purchase the very cheapest supplies you can buy. They really won’t care about the quality of the job when there paying so little. What there going to be happy with is when they walk in and see a high shine. No gas station is going to look that close at the edges and corners. Hope this helps

You are very right ---
long term I dont want the the reputation of cheap work guy...
But im willing to do work that meets a clients desire and price point if I can find a way to do it successfully.

I'd like to get my foot in the door, do a nice job of a basic ascrub and coat, like they want, quickly....

Then take a 2x10 space and do what I"d like to see them invest in.

3 coats of seal, and 3 coats of hard as nails, and let them see for themselves the quality of a real floor job in contrast to their scrub and run program they want.

They'll see how noninvasive it is to quietly burnish a floor amidst business, and the hugely improve shine that will elevate their stores look.

But I gotta get my foot in the door...admittedly, this is rock bottom work ...

I did that with an hvac company- my wifes been cleaning there for a while... I went in and laid 3 coats on a 10x10 square no charge for them to experience and feel... 2 weeks later I got a 5000sq ft strip and seal job along with a maintenance program, and---hopefully 4 more stores down the coast... at a good rate of pay- (averaged $75.00hr after materials and listable costs.:)

Any further thoughts??? :) anything helps :)

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Gas stations will never pay for a quality job. They just don’t have the profit margins in there business to pay for quality floor work.

Reactions: Spazznout

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
If you can afford it eventually cordless autoscrubber with a strip pad would let you zoom through and extract all in one step. Basically dry in 5 minutes. It's what I do when I have to scrub and recoat certain rooms and halls in the buildings I maintain.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Agree with the above comments ......... All of them !!
Really have those two choices ..... cheap and dirty or a REAL job and get them on a maintenance plan . Realistically, IDK .
HVAC companies are a little different and take a lot of care in peoples homes like any good cleaning company would ,so their place of business would reflect the same . TBH , ONLY because I own a cleaning company do I notice how the place looks when it comes to gas stations , convenience stores and something like Dollar General . I’d be inclined to strip the floor the first visit .
Since you have sealer maybe lay one good coat and then five coats of your wax . Most modern finishes really don’t require a sealer but .......... it can help and you have it . After that, since it’s once a month scrub and coat . Use 3M SPP pads , 20 inch low speed , trot mop if you don’t have an autoscrubber.
Check out the local Janitorial stores for something lower cost as far as products . Simoniz Zip Strip and some of the finishes aren’t terrible and might lower your costs . Amen to feeding your family and best of luck .
All the Best , Ed

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
Gas stations will never pay for a quality job. They just don’t have the profit margins in there business to pay for quality floor work.
Thats kinda what im sensing-unfortunately—-
So i gotta figure out if i can sustainably do a quick hit and run where everybodies happy....
Hard to take pride in that kind of work—-

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
Agree with the above comments ......... All of them !!
Really have those two choices ..... cheap and dirty or a REAL job and get them on a maintenance plan . Realistically, IDK .
HVAC companies are a little different and take a lot of care in peoples homes like any good cleaning company would ,so their place of business would reflect the same . TBH , ONLY because I own a cleaning company do I notice how the place looks when it comes to gas stations , convenience stores and something like Dollar General . I’d be inclined to strip the floor the first visit .
Since you have sealer maybe lay one good coat and then five coats of your wax . Most modern finishes really don’t require a sealer but .......... it can help and you have it . After that, since it’s once a month scrub and coat . Use 3M SPP pads , 20 inch low speed , trot mop if you don’t have an autoscrubber.
Check out the local Janitorial stores for something lower cost as far as products . Simoniz Zip Strip and some of the finishes aren’t terrible and might lower your costs . Amen to feeding your family and best of luck .
All the Best , Ed
Those are good points-
I have gotten two other gas stations that have no finish on their vct floors-
And just want me to come in and scrub them monthly-
Theyre way easier to do a $120.00 job on than these ines that want a finish

this guys gas station’s floors have a shine- but its piled over the top of a poorly cleaned floor- it needs stripped-

I feel like if these gas stations want to pay so little-and have it done every 4 weeks or so,
They are better off doing a no finish floor and just having us deep scrub it.

Mass-Steamer

Nov 11, 2016
Real Name
Howie Wallach
my 2 cents...
Do an introductory job at the "introductory" price so they can see your quality
( and you can assess the actual time/labor that's involved). then get them to sign a maintenance contract at a higher fee for the next 6 -12 months.

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
my 2 cents...
Do an introductory job at the "introductory" price so they can see your quality
( and you can assess the actual time/labor that's involved). then get them to sign a maintenance contract at a higher fee for the next 6 -12 months.
I like this method-
Ive done it a time or two for other jobs-
Carpets, etc

Reactions: Mass-Steamer

RotoRoy

Nov 28, 2019
Real Name
Roy Knaak Jr
If you can afford it eventually cordless autoscrubber with a strip pad would let you zoom through and extract all in one step. Basically dry in 5 minutes. It's what I do when I have to scrub and recoat certain rooms and halls in the buildings I maintain.
Yeah-
I have a 24 volt clarke 17” auto scrubber- an older one-
I could use it and run a hose and wand off of it for some additional edging touch up-
That would go fast.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Behold the newest invention - Necro-Spam!

Revive the dead and annoy the living at the same time!

While supplies last, terms and conditions may apply.

Reactions: keep it clean