Stretching or re-stretching?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
look what i had too install today lol

old nylon carpet older than me. old guy was pretty cool he was an old carpet layer in his mid 70's brought this carpet with him to install in his winter home, i groaned could barely kick it in place so i wouldn't tear it. i didnt want too install it but he said he knows its rough shape but he just loved the colors lol
it did look better than his ugly berber
E5AE31B7-4C63-4C19-A273-1F76EC61CC1F.jpeg

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

old nylon carpet older than me. old guy was pretty cool he was an old carpet layer in his mid 70's brought this carpet with him to install in his winter home, i groaned could barely kick it in place so i wouldn't tear it. i didnt want too install it but he said he knows its rough shape but he just loved the colors lol
it did look better than his ugly berber View attachment 76467
Man you could take a sht on that thing and no one could find it lol :D thats an old one. I had that in my room when i was a kid. I spilled black paint on it. So i painted the black paint brown haha and got away with it. Parents never knew.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
@Carpet
Man you could take a sht on that thing and no one could find it lol :D thats an old one. I had that in my room when i was a kid. I spilled black paint on it. So i painted the black paint brown haha and got away with it. Parents never knew.
he told me man ive looked everywhere for this carpet noone carries it. i couldn't help it i laughed man this stuff went out before i was born

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I will reinstall but only with a tail light warranty, explained up front. Once a carpet is lived on after a piss poor install it's destined to fail again. The backing is never dimensional stabile again... It will ripple. FWIW, if I felt it WASN'T powerstretched in initially, we knee kick it back together. Powerstretching over a knee kicker install has typically been a Trainwreck for me after the seasons change.
If they kicked in the entire carpet and then you come out to restretch it, that could be a nightmare , lol youd have to clear the room and reinstall carpet .. Most people have a hard time with how the hallway done wrong affects all the bedrooms

Cbmac5015

Mar 4, 2018
Real Name
Chris bartolomeo
I dont care about what the customer wants. They dont know jack or sht about it. Otherwise they would do it them selves. I have no problems walking away. But most are grateful that it could be saved. 1 out of 5 may complain and i understand. They are frustrated they payed for new carpet and got screwed. I look over job and can tell what needs to be done. And i tell them what im going to do. If they like it and like the price. I go ahead. I just left one. I painted the condo but homers installed carpet. They have bubbles everywhere. They nailed the cable to the floor lol not once but 6 times under the flat metal in kitchen haha. And did not use seam tape. They used gold flat metal between rooms :D View attachment 76412 View attachment 76413
Everyone thinks carpeting mechanics are all the same..its no big deal..just lay out the rug cut to fit and get that kicker thingy and just kick around the wall and bam your done... So they see this free install crap or 30 bucks a room and think they found awesome deal...and its just laying carpet so how can one guy or girl installer be so much better then another....Well homeowners are learning the hard way that yes even carpet installation fits under the you get what you pay for section....Hackers straight edging every seam regardless of type of carpet..double cutting...no power or mini stretching..and todays carpets that kicker isnt cutting it on rooms over 15 ft or so....

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I dont care about what the customer wants. They dont know jack or sht about it. Otherwise they would do it them selves. I have no problems walking away. But most are grateful that it could be saved. 1 out of 5 may complain and i understand. They are frustrated they payed for new carpet and got screwed. I look over job and can tell what needs to be done. And i tell them what im going to do. If they like it and like the price. I go ahead. I just left one. I painted the condo but homers installed carpet. They have bubbles everywhere. They nailed the cable to the floor lol not once but 6 times under the flat metal in kitchen haha. And did not use seam tape. They used gold flat metal between rooms :D View attachment 76412 View attachment 76413
Everyone thinks carpeting mechanics are all the same..its no big deal..just lay out the rug cut to fit and get that kicker thingy and just kick around the wall and bam your done... So they see this free install crap or 30 bucks a room and think they found awesome deal...and its just laying carpet so how can one guy or girl installer be so much better then another....Well homeowners are learning the hard way that yes even carpet installation fits under the you get what you pay for section....Hackers straight edging every seam regardless of type of carpet..double cutting...no power or mini stretching..and todays carpets that kicker isnt cutting it on rooms over 15 ft or so....
I know they get suckered by the promos homers and lowes puts out there. We almost were had by it. We needed laminate put in asap to meet settlement. We were too busy tiling baths and building the deck. I saw the 2.50 sqft lam deal free labor. I said yo we cant beat that. But after picking at the sales person. We found out it was minimum 3week order and then after at least 3 more weeks for install lol. So a possible 6 week turn around. Nevermind the estimate. The settlement was in week and half.

Idk most customers dont get into that pissing match. Maybe one here and there. But most are thrilled that it could be fixed. But we do run into those who are frustrated and i get it. They should not have to pay twice for something that should of been right from the beginning (suckers). I just say if they dont like my price that im sorry i couldnt help them today. Now that being said. There is the chance that this customer even though they did not use you today will use you next time or refer you to a neighbor. It has happened. Best ones are the customers we already bid on. And they went with homers instead. Now they are asking us to help them hahahaaaa. Ca-ching$$$$. Sure i can. “Im so sorry they were a bit lower and offered free pad with install....” its ok im here to help . Lesson learned one custy at a time.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I straight edge friezes they dont row well. Or fibers get in way of the blade. Some pile and frieze carpet Ill free hand from back (length). But for most part i row all my seams. Never used a kicker only before. Even landings ill mini stretch. Unless i can wedge my foot against base and push kicker. But i never pound in a carpet. Too much like work. And kicker cannot alone get carpet tight. I know this because ill pull a carpet with stretcher. Then go trim a wall down. Come back to stretcher and pull handle only to find there is no tension and bubble does not retreat. So i pull again and get another good bubble in front of stretcher head. Kickers alone will never be able to move that much material.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I straight edge friezes they dont row well. Or fibers get in way of the blade. Some pile and frieze carpet Ill free hand from back (length). But for most part i row all my seams. Never used a kicker only before. Even landings ill mini stretch. Unless i can wedge my foot against base and push kicker. But i never pound in a carpet. Too much like work. And kicker cannot alone get carpet tight. I know this because ill pull a carpet with stretcher. Then go trim a wall down. Come back to stretcher and pull handle only to find there is no tension and bubble does not retreat. So i pull again and get another good bubble in front of stretcher head. Kickers alone will never be able to move that much material.
what is the best carpet knife for cutting along walls after stretching with a power stretcher? i am getting some tools to add some basic carpet stretching. what tools will i need? i am thinking a carpet kicker isn't always needed like you said.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
4C4942C1-8F04-419F-ABFB-08AA351880F4.jpeg
this is my go too knife. some guys use wall trimmers. i dont like bloody mary blades as shown though. they break to quick for me

what is the best carpet knife for cutting along walls after stretching with a power stretcher? i am getting some tools to add some basic carpet stretching. what tools will i need? i am thinking a carpet kicker isn't always needed like you said.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
View attachment 76485 this is my go too knife. some guys use wall trimmers. i dont like bloody mary blades as shown though. they break to quick for me

Orcon . Takes a little while to break them in just right. And yeah, hell with them square blades. Base gashers knuckle slashers blade snappers...

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
They do sell a trimmer that glides against base. Just set height. But i honestly never used one. All free hand. Sometimes base goes up and down so you have to adjust your cut up and down or carpet will be short. And youll wind up double kicking.

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
yea the other problem with those is the glues reaching carpet nap lol
Exactly, if the backing is virtually gone to dust we are forced to let the glue tack up before assembly. Probably be better with a Kool glide iron for those. If my ancient crain 905 will ever just die, I'll probably buy a Kool glide, never used one.
Kool Glide is amazing. I own one. Use all the time. The tape is crazy expensive tho so I won’t use for long seams. Just small patches

Aug 28, 2016
Real Name
Richard Davis
Kool Glide is amazing. I own one. Use all the time. The tape is crazy expensive tho so I won’t use for long seams. Just small patches
I won't still for anyone but I use the koolglide. I prefer it for simplicity and speed. When my tech does something I don't like it's easier to remove patch without screwing up the cuts. Seems to leave a stronger seam because it's stiffer when cooled and love the fix for seam peaking.

Thing I don't like is if you do screw up your work you have to remove all the tape. Sure yeah they say you can. If you don't regardless of how long you wait you will burn the tape and even blow holes in it. Not that big of a detail but if you have a few holes in the tape directly under the seam or near it you're fooked so replace it!

I wish they put more adhesive on the tape!!

It does burn at times slightly if you don't center the tape, if you don't line up the iron correctly or have the iron overlap an area you just did. So it's not out of the box ready, it takes a small learning curve. When I 1st got it I actually burned both edges of a seam but never again had that issue.

The tape is expensive but we charge enough to justify it. Since we guarantee our work I like the fact that we can cleanly open up everything we seamed or patched. I've got a hard on for seam sealing all seams and patches and don't want to come back for an obvious patch that the vacuum started breaking loose the fibers. The KG adhesive glue sticks make that PITA process a lot easier

The fire issue isn't there, that thing won't burn through the pad but it will scorth a pad if you blow thru the tape which is why we replace used tape. It takes a lot to get that pad to start fire.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
They do sell a trimmer that glides against base. Just set height. But i honestly never used one. All free hand. Sometimes base goes up and down so you have to adjust your cut up and down or carpet will be short. And youll wind up double kicking.
i bought one of those trimmers. it's a roberts carpet trimmer, i also bought a roberts carpet knife. for cutting the corners and such.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
are "roberts" brand carpet tools considered pretty good?

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
are "roberts" brand carpet tools considered pretty good?
Depends.
1 Power stretchers both pole and mini yes
2 kickers yes (gold touch GT)
3 irons ehh i prefer orcon (using both the iron and tape makes a system) the grooves and tape bead the seam for you. Loops still need be manually sealed though.
4 staplers i prefer duo fast both gun and slap they last years and years.
5 knives i prefer orcon
6 tractors/rollers any manufacturer will do.
7 Adhesives roberts makes good adhesives. Capitol ehh sucks lol.
Crain? Most of what crain makes is crap. Stair chisel is fine and cushion back cutter also fine.

When i say i prefer i mean roberts is fine but i would rather use the other.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
looks like a lot of people took a shyt on it already

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

it did look better than his ugly berber View attachment 76467
Oh my gosh, I kinda miss those old sculpted carpets... they felt so good on the feet.