Strange lines in carpet 4 mo's later | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Strange lines in carpet 4 mo's later

Sep 4, 2010
Real Name
Keith Miller
Business Location
United States
RC carpet lines.jpg
SO I did a guys house who was not initially pleased. After we returned and cleaned it, he was very happy. However, I just got a call from him (4 months later) telling me that there were strange lines showing up in the carpet that look like spill marks but he knows he has not spilled anything. They are long - about 2-3 ft each.

My first thought was that something was wicking back but it seems strange that it would wick back after such a long period of time.

Anyone have any experience with this? Possible solutions? Is this something I did?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I see some pretty dirty looking carpet as well as lines.
Tough one as I don't like ti swerve a complaint but looks like they use their carpets and may not know what a vacuum is etc.
Those lines look like something they have spilled and now attracting soil ( oil or something).
You mentioned a reclean on initial visit 4 months ago, what kind of shape were the carpets in originally?
What was his concern on call back 4 months ago?
Just get the feel you got a custy who may be taking advantage of you?
Again from pic ... lines are visable along with dirty traffic lane leading to hall.
Did you cause these lines from first visit or touch up.. doubt it.
Is it perhaps a defect or baffling unforseen problem doubt it too!
Hate to be married to this one and have them blaming you.

Reactions: idahocarpetcare

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Other than a wicking situation there is also the possibility that there is something on the carpet that is attracting soil to itself. That is really what I suspect is happening. Could even be a spot remover or something that was spilled that DID NOT stain the carpet, just left a soil attracting residue. Numerous things in the average home could do that. Those are in a high traffic area with obvious heavy soil being tracked in and a little more gets attracted to it daily. I do not believe you caused it.

Some things can be very difficult to rinse out and this would explain the length of time it took for them to get that bad. I agree with what was said above. Wicking normally occurs within a few days at the most with less than 24 hours most common. I've only seen maybe 1 exception to that since 1980. I don't think that customer is due another free cleaning, but that's your call. Use of a good protector might help to some extent to reduce resoiling. Those need a thorough rinsing.

Sep 4, 2010
Real Name
Keith Miller
Business Location
United States
So, the carpets weren't in the best shape when we first cleaned them and I think the initial cleaning was not up to par as we were renting a machine that day while our other one was in the shop. The second time was mainly for the the traffic lanes. The pic makes them look a little worse than they are because I enhanced it so you could see the lines better.

Thought about just doing an encapsulation touch up for him but will that solve the problem of the line? Not sure. If it is a wicking issue of some sort then it may help to use some encapsulation...thoughts anyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TMF Forums mobile app

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
www.criticalcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
Definitely not wicking, I agree. I would probably clean it once more with an acid rinse and let him know that that will be the only freebie. Could very well be something that didn't get rinsed out well with previous cleaning and attracted dirt over time. Better to have no complaints than to have a bad referral screw up future jobs.

jason wolfington

Nov 2, 2014
Texas
Real Name
jason wolfington
Business Location
United States
You mentioned that you used a portable machine to clean the carpet....did you add detergent to the machine and leave a residue? I think the only hope for cleaning that carpet is a good old fashioned truckmount HWE..after a good prespray and with a descent rinse agent in the truckmount injection. Encapsulation on that carpet would not work well....I'd bet it is sticky if you touch it.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
For these reasons I give 7 day warranty on cleans cause it wouldn't take that long for wicking.

Lightning Carpet Care LLC
EVERYTIME the humidity increases, I get calls from new clients..... They say ' the last cleaner that was here, left some dirt in my carpet....'. I go out, use my black light, and discover pet stains...... Not treated, and they rewick due to increase in humidity.... Alkaline salts attracting the moisture in the air..... Easy fix......

Reactions: LightningCarpetCare

Jeff Marek

Aug 24, 2012
Real Name
Jeff Marek
Business Location
United States
View attachment 68067 SO I did a guys house who was not initially pleased. After we returned and cleaned it, he was very happy. However, I just got a call from him (4 months later) telling me that there were strange lines showing up in the carpet that look like spill marks but he knows he has not spilled anything. They are long - about 2-3 ft each.

My first thought was that something was wicking back but it seems strange that it would wick back after such a long period of time.

Anyone have any experience with this? Possible solutions? Is this something I did?
First, custy can't expect you to take responsibility after 4 months. I agree something was spilled and is now attracting dirt, dust, oils, etc...
Now's the time to offer to clean them and recommend a protectant!
$$$$$$$$$

C&DClean

Oct 26, 2015
Real Name
Sean Pagano
That's something spilled....and four months later??? Customer is trying to get something for nothing. I would exit stage left. Your gut is telling you they will be a problem, correct? Always listen to your gut even if they will pay. Not worth the hassle or headache.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TMF Forums mobile app

Sep 4, 2010
Real Name
Keith Miller
Business Location
United States
Thank you for all the input. I ended up letting the customer know it was probably something in the carpet that has been slowly attracting soil which made it appear as though they were suddenly appearing but we're actually appearing over time. He said that made sense and there's no more issue. Thanks again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TMF Forums mobile app

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
Problem is your customer is a whack-job.

Does he expect you to come back 4 months later and ONLY clean those 2 lines?

Make Zero indication that you in any way take any responsibility for the origin of those lines.

He's due for another regular priced cleaning, nothing more.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I ate at a restaraunt the other day. Went back today cause I am hungry again. They would not let me eat for free!!! WTF!!!!lol

Reactions: Cameron RDS