Stop cutting your customers short | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Stop cutting your customers short

Cowboyjones

Nov 28, 2013
Real Name
Alan jones
We can all agree that the best way to clean carpets is source removal of all solid debris before you inject any water onto the carpet. If you aren't vacuuming before you clean, then shame on you any way. For those of you that are vacuuming good job, and this is not a post to argue over which vacuum is better- We have had great luck with our Oreck Commercials and I'll never move onto something different.

However: We put a piece of carpet in our shop in January just to make sure we get it nice and dirty for a Home and Garden Show that may never happen *thanks Covid-19*. Recently we have been having some issues with one of our commercial accounts having terrible wicking. One of my guys convinced me to find a Pile Lifter. I found one on Craigs list for $500 bucks so I bit the bullet.

**As a note, our current procedure is 1.) Vacuum 2.) Pre spray 3.) Agitate 4.) Extract -roughly 500 PSI at 205 degrees. (Most of my machines are Butlers and they produce the most consistent heat I've ever used in other slide in).

Now- we were feeling relatively bored the other day *Again Thanks to 'ol Rona, so we decided to see what this Pile lifter could do.

If you look at the picture it is important to note a few things. We used the Pile Lifter on the left side of the piece of carpet. *6 passes*. On the far right side we used an Oreck *6 passes* a Kirby *6 passes* and a Shark *6 passes*

The results speak for themselves. Because of this little experiment we have began to use this Pile lifter as part of out daily cleaning. And I will be honest- our residential results have been the most impressive thing I have seen. The added step isn't near as long as the benefits of the customer seeing you use something big and bulky they've never seen.

Maybe it is time to consider adding a Pile Lifter to your life? If you have one and don't want it, well let me know because I am adding one to each of my 4 vans.

Attachments

Reactions: sbsscn and LeeRoy

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Good post Alan.

my mentor and friend Murray always said good things about a certified pile lifter. He always recommended one. I have not been able to find one at a decent price. I currently use Pro Team upright and backpack. I have not had any issues with their performances. I Agree and follow the IICRC standards which are the same one you use in your steps in cleaning. I have learned that by lowering the PSI from 200-300 the wicking issues go down,s especially on truckmounts.

its difficult to get use to, but it makes sense when you study how wicking works and how it happens.

More PSI more chance for wicking.
Lower PSI, higher Heat temp, easier for vacuum to extract the moisture.

Dont get me wrong but I still use 450PSI but not always

Reactions: Cowboyjones

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
You mean agitation helps clean better? Shocking =)

But no seriously - it's about value for service. Pile lifter is going to increase the amount of time on a job considerably. I can't use a pile lifter on a 20,000 sq ft commercial facility, just simply not cost effective.

Try another experiment - use a Rotary without a pile lifter and a rotary with one, the rotary without a pile lifter will clean just as good so you save time and produce a quality clean. Can even get brush heads for a rotary as well.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
The most profitable way to use a pile lifter is to lift matted carpet on commercial jobs. The other is using it for restoration work where your getting 2-3 times more money for the same square feet as regular cleaning. Whipping it out on every job is just not practical and gets old quick. They are really cool though.......

Reactions: keep it clean

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
I can see using a pile lifter to pre-vac, but you’ll still need an Oreck or CRB to agitate.

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I agree with everything you said. But all that work for 3 rooms for 110?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
3 rooms for $110? yeah thats low id say at least $175

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
Once you get the hang of using a CPB, it will take you just as long to vacuum a room as it would if you were using a conventional upright, if you vacuum clean the right way with the conventional that is.
I got the black softer bristle brush, no other vacuum I’ve used removes more dry particles and digs out a great deal of stuff from a carpet than the CPB, whatever that can’t be vacuumed into the bag gets collected in a tray.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
i agree totally.

but if you used a CRB after the CPB you would get out even more.

In fact if you used the CPB after the CPB you would get out even more.

Reactions: Rico1

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Thanks to renovator trays on my Brush Pro 20 I can to support @mrotto claim that crb after great vacuuming can still make a difference. I made plenty of pics when using crb without renovators, you'd find big chunks of hair and soil all over the floor, especially in entryway of the room and in front of the closet.

Attachments

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
IMG_1307.jpg

funny story about using a CRB. a lady called one day and said she just had her carpet cleaned that morning and she wasnt happy with the work. could I come over to clean it. I got done early that day so I said sure. got there an was surprised that it actually was almost dry, but to be sure it wasnt clean. I presprayed and used a CRB on the bedroom and look what I found!

Reactions: Luky

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
i agree totally.

but if you used a CRB after the CPB you would get out even more.

In fact if you used the CPB after the CPB you would get out even more.
I have a 20” Whittaker and love it!
CRB only digs, CPB digs and sucks. The black, nylon brush allows me to go slower and dig out all the crap out carpets, the vegetable brush is too aggressive and I don’t use it. I use my CRB just to agitate prespray,

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah, I've used the CRB on a room, vacuumed all the debris up, then CRB again...and more junk lol.

Reactions: Rico1

Cowboyjones

Nov 28, 2013
Real Name
Alan jones
We are still working out the kinks. And I agree- to get a pile lifter out for EVERY job isn't practical. However we have a mind set- We dont want to just make a Job look better than it did before we started. We want it to be the best It can possible ever look. So it some situations, that may mean pulling out the Pile Lifter for a $110 job.

I think that something unique about this website is that we are all here to help other people. I dont know where you all live, but we are all in this together. And in my book, if people appreciate a carpet cleaner in Chicago, they will appreciate a carpet cleaner in Cheyenne. My point is just that I want the industry to succeed. (I dont particularly want to give any of my local competitors tricks or tips that I use) but I do want everyone to be successful.

So yes, $110 is a lot if you are pile lifting, vacuuming, agitation, and extracting. But the reputation I am left with is priceless.

The reason we went with a pile lifter and orbiter, opposed to a CRB was we wanted to find something to add a line of service. For example, I now have a few just pile liter accounts, where we go and Pile lift every month for $0.08 a square foot. $250 an hour or so on average for one guy, no gas, no product. Pretty good income IMO.

Reactions: sbsscn and Rico1

Enviro725

Feb 1, 2019
Real Name
Doreen Malinoski
Good post Alan.

my mentor and friend Murray always said good things about a certified pile lifter. He always recommended one. I have not been able to find one at a decent price. I currently use Pro Team upright and backpack. I have not had any issues with their performances. I Agree and follow the IICRC standards which are the same one you use in your steps in cleaning. I have learned that by lowering the PSI from 200-300 the wicking issues go down,s especially on truckmounts.

its difficult to get use to, but it makes sense when you study how wicking works and how it happens.

More PSI more chance for wicking.
Lower PSI, higher Heat temp, easier for vacuum to extract the moisture.

Dont get me wrong but I still use 450PSI but not always
[/QUOTE

Just in case you or anyone might be interested: I have this CERTIFIED PILE LIFTER for sale here on this site.

Attachments