Stone Porch Water Pooling Recommendations

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
I have a customer (carpet cleaning) who has asked my advice on the water pooling problem she has on her stone floor exterior porch.

What are the options/recommendations for solving this problem?

Thank you,
Patrick
IMG_20180611_201212169.jpg
IMG_20180611_201227257.jpg
IMG_20180611_201240629.jpg

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Not much you can do. If it were paver you could pull the up add grit and relay. But that either settled or they just messed up when doing the job. (They created a bowl). I have seen guys core through and install a drain. And it drains into stone bed below. And ultimately it erodes underneath creating a sinkhole.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Not much you can do. If it were paver you could pull the up add grit and relay. But that either settled or they just messed up when doing the job. (They created a bowl). I have seen guys core through and install a drain. And it drains into stone bed below. And ultimately it erodes underneath creating a sinkhole.
Ok, thanks. The extra problem with this, is that the side walls of the porch are also the same stone down to the ground, No access to get under porch. Customer thinks (is guessing?) that under the stone is a cement slab. The side stone walls are about 3-4 feet down each side. No way to get under porch.

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yeah that happens a lot. Theyll have a porch the homeowner will tile it or stone over it. My old house they put full brick over my porch. And water ran back at the house running into the crawl space. Rotted out the sill plate. I ended up jacking it out and pouring new slab.
My dad house they poured the patio and carport together and it looked like in your pic. The clown came back and cored a 3" hole to the ground.
You will probably see this in shower stalls from time to time too. If they messed up their wet bed. It will pool.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
cut out drain towards that street install nice grate bout all you can do

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Yeah that happens a lot. Theyll have a porch the homeowner will tile it or stone over it. My old house they put full brick over my porch. And water ran back at the house running into the crawl space. Rotted out the sill plate. I ended up jacking it out and pouring new slab.
My dad house they poured the patio and carport together and it looked like in your pic. The clown came back and cored a 3" hole to the ground.
You will probably see this in shower stalls from time to time too. If they messed up their wet bed. It will pool.
Wow, you got first hand, in your home owners
money pocket, experience.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
cut out drain towards that street install nice grate bout all you can do
Ok, on the porch, thru the stone and mortar, somehow cut out (or tear out and repoint stone) a drain line, about 4-5 inches, and install a pipe or drain groove, with a grate at the center of that water spot?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
easy peasy for concrete guy

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Porch is pretty high. A guy with motivation can come in from the side with a pipe. Then core down and meet it. You got the ish out your way. Those dudes capable of anything and everything.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Drain install, and while they're at it, request an access door be made.