Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Is it from heat build up in the motor compartment? This is harder on vacs than pumps and is the key to longevity in my experience.
No Thermal protection on these motors ? At least they would have tripped w/o damage . Then look at better venilation.
I use an auxiliary fan to push hot air out of trailer durning the summer . LG and 4 vacuum motors creates a ton of heat. Muffins (computer) fans were not enough.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I'm curious of LX motors would have gone through the same issue?
They they have been proven to be able to work in a number of situations.
Maybe the ZX needs a larger compartment?
But if you look at a rotovac cfx they stuff those things in there pretty tight.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
We are speculating, but my money is on elevated compartment temps and not the motors fault. I've burned through 5.7 high amp motors in the past for the same reason. If the brush side of the motor is not pulling in fresh outside air, don't expect long life from them.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
We are speculating, but my money is on elevated compartment temps and not the motors fault. I've burned through 5.7 high amp motors in the past for the same reason. If the brush side of the motor is not pulling in fresh outside air, don't expect long life from them.
Yes the brush side should be drawing in fresh air even if "Plenum " of some sort is rigged up.
We also have to keep in mind this is not a stock machine .

DrummerTW

Mar 10, 2019
St.Louis, Mo.
Real Name
Thomas Webb
Business Location
United States
I took them apart completely down every screw i could remove and cleaned them with qtips an air compressor and my fogger.. dried them completely...and seem to be working fine again for last 2 days of jobs.. yes they are getting fresh air but the bottoms only a few inches high so i dont think its getting as much air as it would like.. the heats pretty intense

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I took them apart completely down every screw i could remove and cleaned them with qtips an air compressor and my fogger.. dried them completely...and seem to be working fine again for last 2 days of jobs.. yes they are getting fresh air but the bottoms only a few inches high so i dont think its getting as much air as it would like.. the heats pretty intense
Man I hope you get it sorted out..
Maybe you should consider getting some expanded metal make vents and opening up the sides of that machine a little bit.

I wonder if rotovac is going to have issues shoving those motors in that cfx housing it is super tight in there

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
if you are leaving the portable in the van
thats another summer heat issue.....

I believe you are running into what TM have problems with closed cover TMs and overheating.....

I run a small electric fan on my blower just to keep it cool during the summer...around 3-4 amps.....

might help to point that under your portable......if you have the amps for it....

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
This is partially why I opted for a high-top van and I left plenty of space on the sides of my mount for better airflow...I'm hoping this translates to longevity for the machine.

Reactions: DrummerTW

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Drummer

i believe the verdict is too much heat.......

- if your using a generator...
- in a small van....
- 3 vac motors in an enclosed portable.....

you could probably cook an egg on that portable......

may have to adjust....pull it out of the van during summer....
or run it wo a generator.....

I actually think it will be fine come fall.......

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
if you are leaving the portable in the van
thats another summer heat issue.....

I believe you are running into what TM have problems with closed cover TMs and overheating.....

I run a small electric fan on my blower just to keep it cool during the summer...around 3-4 amps.....

might help to point that under your portable......if you have the amps for it....
Thats the exact fan we use to use with 4 electric motors and a the Propane heater in our 5 by 8 trailer. @DrummerTW I now have attached hoses and PVC pipe to the exhaust to direct the hot air outside . Haven't needed a fan since.