Steamway vs El Diablo

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Hi all,

Still trying to sort out how to restart a business with my new bosses and I'm trying to decide between an El Diablo tm or a Steamway Avalanche. Both diesel fired with 100 gallon waste tanks. The Diablo looks and sounds impressive but I have a lot of years working on Steamways and can pretty much fix anything that goes wrong myself. Is there a huge difference between the two and are the repairs comparable? I just don't want to get a machine that takes 4 hours to get to the nearest repair shop and have it be something I can't work on.

Thanks!

DC

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
I started out with Steamway and moved to El Diablo. The heating safety features on the El Diablo are better and the diesel tanks don’t require priming when you run out. I’ve had much less issues with my El Diablo....but I know a lot more now than I used to as well :)
I tried to get another El Diablo recently and they are two to three months behind on production. I’ve got a diesel fired TCS Chief 2 being built as we speak and look forward to reporting on it.

Reactions: SRD

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
How long does it take to get a TCS from ordering to delivery? Steamway has always been pretty quick when I deal with them and I'm trying to get up and running ASAP to keep my early year customers from last year. I'd just do them with a portable but its just too big to do in the time they need without a tm.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Let us know @gasmaster5000, the diesel tcs has me thinking....
Will do. I’ll post up a full report with pics :D. When it comes to truck mounts, I’ve had problems with every damn one and I never whined about it, I just some how or another fixed it. My main concerns are always heat, suction, and ease of repair.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
How long does it take to get a TCS from ordering to delivery? Steamway has always been pretty quick when I deal with them and I'm trying to get up and running ASAP to keep my early year customers from last year. I'd just do them with a portable but its just too big to do in the time they need without a tm.
I believe right now it's around 10-14 days. Maybe longer if you have it shipped. I’m just guesstimating though.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
The SteamWay Legacy 2200 looks interesting. Looks like they’ve made a few design changes. I’ve got a PowerMatic 2100 and Gotdam that thing gets HOT. I call it the “Problematic 2100” though....

Reactions: Steaminyo

Sleepybear

May 15, 2016
Real Name
Joe Whitta
Went from an older Steamway that I worked with for probably about 12 or 13 can years to an El Diablo. As was mentioned the guys from Steamway went to Masterblend and made the El Diablo. It feels like a Steamway with improvements. I don't know the new Steamway and I'm not knocking them. But if you are familiar with the older Streamways you will feel right at home.

Shane Olvitt

Sep 18, 2008
So. Cal
Real Name
Shane Olvitt
I’ve owned a Avalanche for 5 years now. It was made to replace the the Steamway 4100, the smaller Truckmount made by Steamway. Great heat and suction. But the fit and finish stink!! Also when I had issues while under warranty, they would not address them. Ended up fixing it myself and on my own dime.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
When I think back, it seams I was always replacing an igniter, the brushes, the kerosene pumps, or the transformers on those Steamway burners. Haven’t had to do any of that on my little Italian El Diablo burner yet....

Reactions: SRD

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I dont know of anywhere you can get them in the states anymore i had a buddy that had a couple pallets of them i could buy as needed but he passed away last year

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
thanks

i have the northstar heaters but 1 has gone out and burned up the insulation....
i think it was having igniter problems...would not burn for 10-15 seconds then would ignite with full burn...then it just stopped igniting...
took it to a pressure washer place and they replaced the becket unit.......thought it worked.....for a while...same problem and burned up the insulation....had to extinguish it ...was a mess as it was close to the building.......

ii would not suggest the northstar unit as I have had 3 and 1 has given me major issues.......

dont think i am gonna fix it