Startup working on a robot to help in Janitorial settings - looking for feedback

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Feb 12, 2018
Real Name
Charlie Andersen
Hello,

We are a startup building a robot to help people working in different areas. Our robot is a robotic cart that can follow you like a dog while carrying cargo.

Here is a video of it working: .

In the video we are moving firewood, but we've thought that in some larger areas like airports it could be a helpful machine when doing things like collecting rubbish, removing trash, etc.

Could anyone see something like this being helpful in their work? Perhaps instead of using a hand cart like below?
urbancart2.jpg

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Interesting. Most here focus on cleaning in homes rather than large area such as an airport. For those in commercial settings, there will be questions about the space available, the weight limit, how it is powered (I assume electric) and use time versus recharge time as well as cost. But, I can see using it in more open spaces.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
In most the settings I've worked in (schools to supermarkets) Something like an automated janitorial cart that could carry supplies, mop bucket and a 55 gal can for trash would possibly be useful. However, as your cart is currently built it sits too high. Trash cans and mop buckets are the size they are because that size makes them functional. The higher I have to lift a mop to get it into a bucket the more fatiguing the action becomes. If the tech could be put into a janitorial cart, it would be more useful. The problem I see is, janitorial carts already make transporting all those things by hand easy enough and their cost is low.

Maybe in hotel maid service but again, you'd want to get it implemented into existing cart designs.

When I worked as Event Staff at a district stadium, now something like this would have been useful. We had about 100 traffic cones that had to be put out every Friday. We used a John Deer Gator but when setting up solo we spent a lot of time jumping in and out of the drivers seat and when working in a team, one guy driving the other setting cones, sure it went faster but that was a guy setting up cones that could have been prepping the press box and concessions.

If it could climb stairs without loosing its load would be even better.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I would study the cost benefit to the purchaser. You would have to show how it would save money, increase efficiency etc. to be viable.
A $20,000 robot cart that makes Jose's life easier isn't a great pitch.
The labor rate for janitorial employees is pretty low, so labor savings would have to be pretty significant to justify the costs.
Case in point; an auto scrubber increases production per man hour significantly over a 175 and a mop.
Good luck! Innovation can certainly be a game changer.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Time is money, so it would only be usefull where the load was too big or heavy one person to move around. If it could save someone from making two or three trips then it might be practical. Small carts with janitorial stuff in them need to be agile and quick, so I doubt it would work for that.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Couldn’t imagine it would be cost effective. I will spend hours doing a sales pitch on a damn 20” auto scrubber that runs 4-5k. Can’t even fathom trying to sell that, at the price point it would have to be. Better spend your time on a small area universal wax applicator there’s lots out there none of them worth a crap. We need something that needs little to no cleaning at the end of the job. All parts that come in contact with the wax disposable. What happens is a guy is out in the middle of the night doing a floor. When there done there exhausted and just chuck everything into the truck and by morning it’s and screwed from dried on wax.
Invent that and make a million. But you have to be able to put any flor finish in it.

Jul 9, 2017
Real Name
stephanie barber
Hello,

We are a startup building a robot to help people working in different areas. Our robot is a robotic cart that can follow you like a dog while carrying cargo.

Here is a video of it working: .

In the video we are moving firewood, but we've thought that in some larger areas like airports it could be a helpful machine when doing things like collecting rubbish, removing trash, etc.

Could anyone see something like this being helpful in their work? Perhaps instead of using a hand cart like below?

I provide janitorial services to commercial accts only and I can tell you if you could turn a commercial sized mop bucket into a robotic device I"D HAPPILY BUY THAT SUCKER & I imagine many others would too! I get so darn tired of having to grab that damn mop bucket to push it forward however it would have to be water resistant to protect the electrical components obviously. Maybe a removable robotic device for mop buckets lol seriously? It would be nice to have that darn thing just follow along of course if it could dump itself that be worth a million bucks to me I think I'd fall over from utter shock ohhh the life of a janitorial provide :)
On the other hand I have a great idea for a mop system too if you'd care to message me I'd be happy to share. A robotic cart wouldn't be cost effective in the facilities I maintain except possibly in the maintenance dept. Its possible it would be more useful in medical facilities, restaurants for servers, postal services and so forth of course you'd have to tailor its size and capabilities but I can definitely see this being of great use in those industries. Then again if you can tailor its size then why not make it available to residential customers? Anyhow just my two cents :) Seriously I'm all for a ROBOTIC MOP BUCKET......