Starting up..any advice ?

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Gonnadrop, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Gonnadrop

Gonnadrop New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gentlemen,

I've been reading the site and appreciate all the information. I'm just starting out and sourcing equipment like many other on this site. After reading a few posts, red flags went off. My first thought was trying an electric mount from mytee/sreambrite but not sure it's a good start after reading posts. My target is residential with some small commercial.

If y'all could start plan a good starter van with room to take on decent jobs, what would be the best model/brand to go with-and any comments on dealer service is appreciated. Is the mytee escape etm worth looking at?

Thank you all!

John

2. Kingdomcome84

Kingdomcome84 Active Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    I currently use a Mytee Escape as my only primary truckmount and I love it. I only do residential with little commercial. I would NOT buy the steambrite trailer package.

Is there any other reasons why you want the Escape over a Gas TM? Reason im asking is there are dirty cheap van TM combos deals on Craigslist for as little as 2K and many TMF members here have alot of harsh things to say about ETMs that would easily sway your decision

• Like Like x 1
  3. Will C

Will C Active Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Gonnadrop, I know what you're going through. I finally opted for the Rotovac 360i & 1200psi Ranger package with Gekko wand because I want to be able to do T&G as well as carpet and upholstery. What ultimately sold me was the ability to finance the equipment, with the help of Interlink Supply and Aztec Financial, through my company instead of taking on the liability personally. That was a big deal for me because I'm going to be listing my house and buying another early next year and didn't want any personal debt.

Right now I can run everything out of my 2001 Ford Explorer that hit 290,000 miles last Friday. But I'll be getting a trailer set up next February/March until I can afford a van and in the meantime I'll be mulling over whether to get the Jaguar ETM plus Little Giant heater for about $5,000 or the 14hp Amtex Prowler with built in heat exchanger for $7,500. I'm leaning toward the Amtex because more power and self contained heat. Gotta analyze and figure out fuel costs for both. But another reason I'm leaning toward the Prowler is I like the idea of only running the solution and vacuum hoses instead of those plus the extra extension cords. I'm already sick of all the hose/cord carries/runs I've gotta make with the Ranger...

Definitely check out those two units. Good luck with whatever you get!

Sent from my SM-G930T using TMF Forums mobile app

4. John Guerra

John Guerra Member

May 13, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I would be happy to give you very recent experience with Steam Brite off line if you'd like. You can PM me if you want, however i did go with the Mytee Escape and love it. I run with a generator and have not needed to use the power cords as of yet. I am doing nothing but commercial presently which is why I opted for the generator. I started out researching everything under the sun and in the end got that same feeling you described in your message. It came down to the Nautilus and the Escape as my units to decide between and landed on the Escape.

Best advice is to list your needs (assuming you know those) and start a business plan. Then marry up the unit you purchase to both of those things and you wont be regretting your purchase. You may find out that a used TM is what you find you need to accomplish your goals. As Kingdom stated there are plenty of those out there too.

I wanted a TM and maybe one day I will purchase one, however I got what I thought was as close as I could get and to purchase new was on my list and in my budget range. That was one thing that was important to me, to buy quality new equipment verses used suspect equipment. That choice is not for everyone and I live with that choice daily. It's a motivator to get out and win business, I do not want to keep funding the payments from my full time job as I grow this career change for myself.

Good luck and hang in there, things get clearer in time as you build your knowledge base from all these wonderful and highly experienced people.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andrew C

Andrew C Active Member

May 24, 2014
    Male
    Owner of True Steam LLC
    Richmond, VA
    Ratings:
    +431 / 4 / -0
    I would suggest you buy a used Truck Mounted system with relatively low hours (under 2500) and make sure it is well kept, clean.

If possible buy a setup where most of the equipment is included, wands, hoses, hose reels etc.

Get a website and Facebook page setup. Request reviews from friends and family who you do work for....

The info is all on here if you look.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP Top Poster of Month

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,235 / 82 / -0
    What is your equipment budget including vehicle?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,752 / 106 / -0
    Be cautious with an Amtex.....do a search here and you'll know what I'm talking about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1