starting up a carpet cleaning company

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 6, 2018
Real Name
Mike Solomon
Hello,

I am working on starting my carpet cleaning company, I would like to start with portable system, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions, what kind of portable extractor you would suggest, what kind of carpet/hard surface wand you would suggest for a tall person, would you suggest buying rotovac 360? Also, what was your startup experience and how did you manage to get business?

Thank you for all your help

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
You are asking a whole lot for one question. Also your question is very general. I suggest you start with some research here. There are many threads on those topics.

Then write a business plan. What size is your target market? Will you be targeting offices? Condos? up-scale homes? low price high volume? Main street business like doctors, lawyers, real estate etc.?

Do you only plan on cleaning carpet or do you want equipment that can also be used for tile & grout or hardwood or rugs?

What capital do you have to start the business?

Where do you want to be in 5 years or 10 years?

This allows you to ask more specific questions and to get answers that relate to your business rather than vague responses. You can be everything to everybody and expect your business to prosper. You need a plan.

Different portable extractors have different features for different jobs and different budgets. Once you have a plan, I suggest you look at Nautilus line and Cross America if you want the top performing portables. Olympus and Mytee both offer some good machines at a lower price point. But, don't buy the tools until you know what you will be using them for.

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Excuse my assumption, but if you haven't worked in this industry before, I'd strongly suggest finding a reputable carpet cleaner to work with for at least 4-6 months before you take the leap.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
www.tmfacdemy.com will answer all your questions or suffer emotionally and economically through the journey.

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
This is my first year in business, and I’ve learned a ton of information. I spend every minute that I can watching videos, or reading on the forums if I am not out working.

I highly recommend messaging Scott when you do get your equipment, he was a huge help to me when I did. He sent a bunch of information, and a lot of quality products to help me get started. Then I also recommend buying the 4 chemical/training video package from tmf. The video was very informative, and helped me learn the basic process of HWE cleaning, and understanding a lot more about it. The chemicals are some of the best in the industry, and for $299 you get a very informative video and 4 high quality chemicals.

My biggest tip to you would be to make sure that quality is your biggest concern. If you do an amazing job, word of mouth will spread quickly. In less than 6 months I can barely keep up with business already, and I live in a very rural area. Also don’t try to save money on chemicals if it isn’t needed. My average job costs at most $2-$3 in chemicals, and they make the job so much easier and better.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Scott’s a pro with 5 decades worth of experience. You’ve never read him putting anyone down in all the years he’s been around. He’s one of the most respected in the industry. Why would it be shocking he would try to advertise for the company that he works for, also one of the best in our industry?

@RussoTuristo there’s a lot of awesome members here that will be more then happy to assist you. There’s truly no one answer fits everyone. Read a lot. Get a plan, ask questions. There’s awesome end users here, there’s well known industry pros, there’s single person companies, as well as super successful multi truck companies, and every thing in between. Everyone will have their view depending on their experience. Find what makes most sense to you after reading, researching and asking questions and run with it.
Getting answers will require as was already said will require more detail. The “best” of anything has a lot to do with your budget & goals.

Dec 9, 2018
Real Name
Tom Gyles
Business Location
United States
Hello,

I am working on starting my carpet cleaning company, I would like to start with portable system, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions, what kind of portable extractor you would suggest, what kind of carpet/hard surface wand you would suggest for a tall person, would you suggest buying rotovac 360? Also, what was your startup experience and how did you manage to get business?

Thank you for all your help
Hey RussoTuristo, I started just 6 short years ago with a portable using EDIC equipment. As Scott says you need to plan and set proper goals . I had prior Carpet cleaning experience in Nursing home environments which taught me how to clean just about every scenario you can think of. My equipment costs including vehicle was about $25,000 to start. I used a RV powerwand for the trashed carpets and swing machine for restaurant and commercial carpet other than hotel rooms. I have since graduated to truckmount machines. Honestly, in my opinion, you are better off investing the same amount in a decent used truckmount and make sure you invest in your customer. With total 5 star rating after 6 years I can vouch for proper cleaning procedure, customer relations and no gimmicks business model. Get involved with the community you live in, we participate in most local events, support our local high school, Facebook local classifieds, etc. Good Luck in your new venture!