Starting Out Just for Weekends | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Starting Out Just for Weekends

Jshubs35

Oct 9, 2020
Real Name
Jacob Shubin
Hi,
I am starting out just to test the waters in this, I’ve had a couple people ask if I can clean their carpets. So I I got an oreck orbiter to do low moisture cleaning. Is this is a good idea or bad idea to start with? I do have a full time job so I don’t rely on this . But my goal is to make this up that I’m working every weekend. I don’t have any experience cleaning carpets beyond YouTube and a couple family member houses. Any opinions would be great

sladost

Oct 10, 2020
Real Name
sladost
It is difficult to develop business now. Competition among companies is great.
You can use YouTube as a platform to promote your business. This will make your services more in demand. Use smoservice for more effect - https://smoservice.net/youtube/youtube-comments/
Usually, a user who goes to a channel page and opens a video that interests them sees the corresponding number immediately. It catches the eye first of all, so it is important that there are more comments.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
No experience and just a oreck. You better at least start cleaning your own carpets to get some experience.

Join all the VLM facebook groups and try to learn as much as possible.

When you start don't take on anything very difficult. Just do some one room jobs at a very low price to get experience until you can get better equipment.

Don't make any promises that you can't delivery on

Make sure you vacuum first, then prespray and then use the black or green brush for the oreck to scrub prespray and then go over with a cotton bonnet to extract

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
No experience and just a oreck. You better at least start cleaning your own carpets to get some experience.

Join all the VLM facebook groups and try to learn as much as possible.

When you start don't take on anything very difficult. Just do some one room jobs at a very low price to get experience until you can get better equipment.

Don't make any promises that you can't delivery on

Make sure you vacuum first, then prespray and then use the black or green brush for the oreck to scrub prespray and then go over with a cotton bonnet to extract
I had some issues getting the black brusgh to move well across some mildly thicker carpets. Is there a pad alternative I can use for the thicker stuff?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I have a oreck but I only use it for closets/very small areas or between furniture. I can't imagine trying to clean big areas with it. Some guys clean stairs with it. Not me.

You could use a carpet brush to scrub prespray in and this will also be good for grooming carpet after cleaning. I always have one on my van. TMF Store sells them.

Pad alternative would be microfiber with scrub strips but not very effective especially on thick carpet.
You could also use fiber pad but again not very effective on thick carpet.

nap_brush_2000x.jpeg

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I started cleaning a house here and there when I had a full time job. When I eventually was making more money cleaning than on the job, I quit the job and cleaned full time. It only took a couple of months. That was 1981.

Now you have TMF and all these great people that can give you great advice.

Im not a VLM fan, let alone on residential. Suppose it could be done though.