Starting Out in a Very Unique Area

ChuckDee

May 17, 2022
Real Name
Charlie Duquette
Hello all,

I know these posts are very common, and many ask for similar advice daily here. I figured I would give some background info and see what the experienced vet's thoughts are.

I live in a very unique community in Massachusetts, on an island. The average home price for a turnkey residence is a million dollars. Where I live, there is approximately 2-3 carpet and floor cleaning companies. I believe they are all truck mounts. I spoke with one of the owners, and he told me that he cannot keep up with how many booking requests and calls he gets. For example, most landscape/trade company owners on the island bring home about 250-500k a year.

My question is: Right now, I have the ability to purchase a used van, and a portable, all needed equipment. I keep hearing from many that I should not get a truck mount yet, until I get more experience. I do have minor experience, I did clean carpets for a small company about 8-10 years ago. I want to keep my full time job (benefits, pension, etc.) I want to start doing this part-time and eventually work it into a full-time van with 1-2 employees, potentially larger if capable. My current schedule is 4 days on, 3 days off. Any info and input is appreciated. Thank you!

-Charlie

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Hey Charlie, good to see another Massachusetts cleaner on here. If you get yourself a good portable that can do a good amount of hose you should be just fine. I usually put 75 feet on mine but could stretch it all the way to 250 depending on how many vacs I use. You could also set it up like a truckmount if you wanted eventually. In houses that large it will probably save you a lot of hose running though if you camp your machine at the base of the stairs. I've done a few where its a good 75 feet just to get to the front door. I use the mytee vortex lite from magic wand company. Also if you're looking for resources near the coast, Kennedy Carpet near Boston is a good place to go. He owns a cleaning and restoration service as well as a supply house and carpet/flooring showroom all in one.

ChuckDee

May 17, 2022
Real Name
Charlie Duquette
Hey Charlie, good to see another Massachusetts cleaner on here. If you get yourself a good portable that can do a good amount of hose you should be just fine. I usually put 75 feet on mine but could stretch it all the way to 250 depending on how many vacs I use. You could also set it up like a truckmount if you wanted eventually. In houses that large it will probably save you a lot of hose running though if you camp your machine at the base of the stairs. I've done a few where its a good 75 feet just to get to the front door. I use the mytee vortex lite from magic wand company. Also if you're looking for resources near the coast, Kennedy Carpet near Boston is a good place to go. He owns a cleaning and restoration service as well as a supply house and carpet/flooring showroom all in one.
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the information.