starting my own business

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Apr 13, 2018
Real Name
Robert
hey guys i know theres a ton of these out there but i recently left the big name franchize i worked for to puesue my own business they had a few box trucks all equiped with vortex tm that got no maintainece and now they are down to 1 truck that is on its way out to i got little to no training all they used as chemical goes is a mix between dry slurry and prochoice prozimes and for wool and berber all fiber rinse..that being said should i take a iicrc class bofore i do anything else? im looking into getting a used van and tm but i dont know which brand to get please help

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Training and education? Yes! Or if you like a lot of headaches and learning things the hard way then by all means just jump in and start doing it. There are two ways to get an education. One is the school of hard knocks, the other is to pay for the education and learn from someone that has been there and done that.

As for brand....Hmmmm, you will get a million different opinions about what brand it best. The best one is the one that fits your budget and your goals. There is something to be said for sticking with the main brands due to service networks they have established. However, most of the machines are fairly simple. They heat water, spray water, and then suck it up. Some of them are more complicated than others and some are quite over-engineered. Some are simple. Some are cheap. You will find all sorts of used and abused equipment. Just educate yourself on what to look for in any machine and then buy the one that is going to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

Have you sat down and written a business plan? You need that before you spend your first penny on equipment. Figure out your marketing before you do anything. How are you going to acquire clients? If you don't have a business plan then you are planning to fail.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Since you have some experience in the industry as a carpet cleaner, it is an excellent time to take an IICRC Carpet Cleaning Technician (CCT) class. This will give you a great foundation of knowledge about carpet and carpet cleaning products. You will also be able to spend time with many other carpet cleaning techs and share information and experiences with each other. Great before you make the leap into business for yourself.

Here is a link to a schedule of upcoming CCT classes: http://www.cvent.com/Events/Calendar/Calendar.aspx?cal=ab53c6cb-fee0-44a6-a384-c51a2a4b32c0

You can filter the topics or locations or both.

Apr 13, 2018
Real Name
Robert
Training and education? Yes! Or if you like a lot of headaches and learning things the hard way then by all means just jump in and start doing it. There are two ways to get an education. One is the school of hard knocks, the other is to pay for the education and learn from someone that has been there and done that.

As for brand....Hmmmm, you will get a million different opinions about what brand it best. The best one is the one that fits your budget and your goals. There is something to be said for sticking with the main brands due to service networks they have established. However, most of the machines are fairly simple. They heat water, spray water, and then suck it up. Some of them are more complicated than others and some are quite over-engineered. Some are simple. Some are cheap. You will find all sorts of used and abused equipment. Just educate yourself on what to look for in any machine and then buy the one that is going to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

Have you sat down and written a business plan? You need that before you spend your first penny on equipment. Figure out your marketing before you do anything. How are you going to acquire clients? If you don't have a business plan then you are planning to fail.
thank you for your response i have been working on my business plan and seems to be going good

Apr 13, 2018
Real Name
Robert
Since you have some experience in the industry as a carpet cleaner, it is an excellent time to take an IICRC Carpet Cleaning Technician (CCT) class. This will give you a great foundation of knowledge about carpet and carpet cleaning products. You will also be able to spend time with many other carpet cleaning techs and share information and experiences with each other. Great before you make the leap into business for yourself.

Here is a link to a schedule of upcoming CCT classes: http://www.cvent.com/Events/Calendar/Calendar.aspx?cal=ab53c6cb-fee0-44a6-a384-c51a2a4b32c0

You can filter the topics or locations or both.
thank you Scott i will look to see the closest and cheapest class