Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
You seem to be a grown man. Take all the points you see here, digest them and use what fits and what doesn’t discard. Teach out to them, call them and FaceTime them. Call me after you call others and then make an educated decision. Talk is cheap. The proof is in the pudding (numbers) and results proven over decades. Watch out for the finger pointers. Have a good day.

PS:If you can make it to Vegas next week there is a trade show and we will be there. Stop at our booth or come to our party. Rub shoulders with positive long time pros who have been successful for decades.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
westex

i grew up in oil country a few miles up the road from you ....snyder....to be exact.......

if I had 300k in the middle of midland oil boom country...i would spend 50-80k for a delivery truck , vacuum truck...hot-shot truck......

you can make in your area 3-4k a week starting next week........

your not gonna make that carpet cleaning.....
especially not the first 2-3 years

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Rob, you are under constant attack, I get it. Folks are innately jealous of success they didn't achieve in the same time frame as others.

I'm not that guy, I'm happy for you, truly I am. I do actually like helping the new guy with nothing in it for me. My path is not to be a fleet company with the most "anything" except to be the company with good things to say about my professional services and how I conduct business day in and day out. My time spent here is to offer my perspective on what really works, what hype to stay away from and what is flat out crap, in that order. I really don't care what is the latest rotary tool, glide, chem, etc... Carpet cleaning has become much easier in the last 15 years and less is more. I hope you proactively defend yourself less and quit listening/reading social media to much. You have a good message that gets lost in translation. Sun Tzu said "Know yourself and know your enemy and never fear the result of a thousand battles". Truer words have never been spoken.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob, you are under constant attack, I get it. Folks are innately jealous of success they didn't achieve in the same time frame as others.

I'm not that guy, I'm happy for you, truly I am. I do actually like helping the new guy with nothing in it for me. My path is not to be a fleet company with the most "anything" except to be the company with good things to say about my professional services and how I conduct business day in and day out. My time spent here is to offer my perspective on what really works, what hype to stay away from and what is flat out crap, in that order. I really don't care what is the latest rotary tool, glide, chem, etc... Carpet cleaning has become much easier in the last 15 years and less is more. I hope you proactively defend yourself less and quit listening/reading social media to much. You have a good message that gets lost in translation. Sun Tzu said "Know yourself and know your enemy and never fear the result of a thousand battles". Truer words have never been spoken.
Respect.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Jim is one of those guys that will help you with anything he can without looking for anything in return. There isn't many people like him out there anymore.
Yep. And there are few who understand the law of reciprocity left anymore.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Jim is one of those guys that will help you with anything he can without looking for anything in return. There isn't many people like him out there anymore.
I have been able to make some great friends here and I will never be able to shake their hands. Their respect will have to do in it's place. We are all on the same team and I want to see others do well for their families. There is way more dirt out there than any of us can ever get to...

WESTEX CLEANING

Sep 2, 2019
Real Name
Michael Olson
Hey guys I'm not trying to pick fights just looking for info on how to start carpet Cleaning was just wondering why 1st choice thanks its a bad idea to start my business in west Texas maybe I should do more research on the local market maybe he knows something I don't ....

I'm looking at this setup let me know what you think https://www.aerotechmfg.com/USED-2016-AERO-TECH-XT I just don't want to buy something I'm going to out grow a few years down the road I have respect for people like Rob that have worked there a$$ off to get ware they and anymore who makes $$$$ doing what they love gets my respect I have spent the last 15 years as a salesman for a local pump company I know a lot of people and know how to sale I feel like I have the skills to make this happen and turn it in to business my wife is a freelance graphic designer and web master she is currently working on a website and Google setup

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Regardless of what you do it’s hard to fail in this business. If you over pay for machines, tools and chemicals you will still make your money back. It’s easy to make a living and survive as a “job”. It’s harder to turn it into a business.
Encouraging for new guy to read that wants to pay off some debt and save some money and is willing to work for it..

..lots of businesses and business models out there to make money sometimes you just have to start doing something when you break away from an employer.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Hey guys I'm not trying to pick fights just looking for info on how to start carpet Cleaning was just wondering why 1st choice thanks its a bad idea to start my business in west Texas maybe I should do more research on the local market maybe he knows something I don't ....

I'm looking at this setup let me know what you think https://www.aerotechmfg.com/USED-2016-AERO-TECH-XT I just don't want to buy something I'm going to out grow a few years down the road I have respect for people like Rob that have worked there a$$ off to get ware they and anymore who makes $$$$ doing what they love gets my respect I have spent the last 15 years as a salesman for a local pump company I know a lot of people and know how to sale I feel like I have the skills to make this happen and turn it in to business my wife is a freelance graphic designer and web master she is currently working on a website and Google setup
What would you say is the number 1 most important thing in sales?

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States

Wasn't saying it 8s a bad idea, I reas your posts and thought your plan was to invest $300k and thats why I made the post I made.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
WESTEX

some here are trying to caution you on the hidden meaning of:
MAKING 100$ an hour carpet cleaning

these are the facts(anyone will verify)
1/3 carpet cleaners dont make it the first year
another 1/3 quit after 2-3 years
only 1/3 ever last in this business

Profit:
50% profit at best with an owner operator
(may not make a profit your first 1-2 years)
100k gross for an owner operator 1 van/1TM
20-25% profit for an employee on a van
your investment is worth 1/2 if you dont make it

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Getting back to the truck that you’re looking at and the machine. That truck I’ve seen it at the conventions. I am in no way affiliated with them but it seems like a really cool set up. As far as the truck mount, to me it has too many proprietary items and you have to rely on your dealer to keep it up and running in my opinion. I would look at steam action

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

As a very small distributor on the East coast, I take great pleasure in seeing guys start their own businesses and succeed. Alas, many times they spend too much money up front and don't educate themselves on how to run a business properly, and a lot of them go under as a result. I'm notorious for telling guys to not spend a penny on a machine until they know how to use it. Kinda like buying a sports car when you don't have your license yet!

The most important investment you can make is in yourself, not in equipment or chemicals.

You're on the right path with the cleaning courses, and it sounds like your sales experience is strong - add in some education on how to run things profitably and you'll be several jumps ahead of many guys starting in the field! If you've got good selling skills and a people-personality, I'd suggest starting with residential. If you're the quiet, nose-to-the-grind, git-r-done type who doesn't have time to chit-chat, look into commercial.

Whatever equipment you do get - and as many have said, Butlers are a great starting point with plenty of power to keep you going as you grow - make sure you have a good relationship with a local supplier who can answer questions and help you if things go sideways... because they will go sideways, it's a given.

Having a network in place to help you out is crucial. You don't need to know all the answers, you just need to know people to whom you can reach out when you have questions. Forums are great for advice, suggestions, and opinions - when it comes to in-the-field assistance, you can't beat the guys who are within a few miles of your working territory.

Go driving and find old sofas and rolls of carpet out by the side of the road on garbage day, and practice cleaning them in your driveway (don't bring them inside, lol, fleas and bedbugs are not your friend).

Get to know your local cleaners, you'll find some who don't play well with others and some who want to network with you. Ignore the former and foster the latter.

Not every distributor is "out to get your money" - in fact, I'd say the majority of them are more interested in building a good relationship with you so you become a long-term customer, not a one-time sale.

Just like the customers you will be servicing, the best distributor customers aren't the ones who spend a ton of money one time and then never call again. The best customers are the ones who trust you, who believe you are a pro and value what you have to offer, and will not only use you repeatedly but will recommend you to others. A good distributor values the relationship above the wallet, just like a good carpet cleaner does.

In your mind, does your dream carpet cleaning business five years from now look like one man doing every job with his own truck, or does it look like the owner in the office with employees on the trucks doing the jobs? One offers complete control over every job done, the other offers more jobs but less control over what's happening. The units you're looking at are all big enough to do what you need regardless of the size of your business. I don't see you having a problem 'outgrowing' any of them.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
You will never outgrow an Aerotech. Nothing stronger and reliability is one best in industry. If you have the money buy it. I believe you will make it fine but even if you didn’t the resale value of Aerotechs are solid.

Reactions: ACP

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
You will never outgrow an Aerotech. Nothing stronger and reliability is one best in industry. If you have the money buy it. I believe you will make it fine but even if you didn’t the resale value of Aerotechs are solid.
Agreed. You'll never need another machine, you don't need to run it at full throttle, they are very efficient, turn key best truck in the industry.

You'll never be dumping waste water at your customers homes, you can take on any size job, and like Rob said the resale value is high... they actually re-sell too.

Butler is also a great option but I'm a big fan of the box truck horse and pony show from a marketing/business stand point. You will not look like 1000 other cleaners

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Agreed. You'll never need another machine, you don't need to run it at full throttle, they are very efficient, turn key best truck in the industry.

You'll never be dumping waste water at your customers homes, you can take on any size job, and like Rob said the resale value is high... they actually re-sell too.

Butler is also a great option but I'm a big fan of the box truck horse and pony show from a marketing/business stand point. You will not look like 1000 other cleaners
Can’t argue aero tech would be amazing.

Customers don’t seem to care about dumping waste water because in my experience it’s almost unnoticeable except for the hose ..

But the efficiency time savings would be amazing not having to do that can only imagine right now. :)

..picked up 50ft of that hose that weighs nothing on clearance at Walmart. Figure for those inside porty jobs definetly easier to carry in ca 50 ft rubber hose. Or heck even on regular jobs using as either fresh or dump would be easier and time saver.

..sound like such a hack talking. :)