Starting my biz | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Starting my biz

WESTEX CLEANING

Sep 2, 2019
Real Name
Michael Olson
I'm new to TMF and just starting my biz.
I'm in the process of buying a G2 I just love this truck set up.with a SS570
need your ideas and info on the best way to set this up what size fresh water tank is best what are some of the must have tools what's are your thoughts on the 360xl and SX15 spinner tool
I have a budget of $300,000 to spend my Father is helping me live my dream of owning my own business he passed away and left me some money
Knowing I can buy the best or is there a better TM then SS570 any help you can offer thanks

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
You're starting out with some good solid equipment. I always run a 100 gallon fresh water tank, anything more will usually put me overweight.

SX15 is too big. Go with a 12 inch instead.

360XL is a solid choice for rotary tool.

Get a good spotting kit. It will save your jobs at some points.

Tool bag. Wrenches, fittings, shutoffs, 50 feet of thin rope, utility knife, 5 in 1 tool, duct tape, and some screwdrivers.

The most important tool of all though is knowledge. With a good skillset and good knowledge you can do most things whether you have a brand new truck or a used portable.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Plan on doing commercial and residential here in Midland/Odessa tx we have a big restoration company with 8 trucks it would be hard to compete
For commercial the 360 is great or a larger wand, for residential I always use a basic 12 inch stainless 2 jet wand. Nothing fancy, fits in the little nooks and crannies, and typically using a 14 or 16 just hits more furniture than it's worth in my experience.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Plan on doing commercial and residential here in Midland/Odessa tx we have a big restoration company with 8 trucks it would be hard to compete
I don't know your background in the industry or your skill turning wrenches, but here's my advice. With your starting capital I would take a cash backed secured loan and buy a turnkey Butler. Great, simple machine with excellent resale value and when you pay it off you have your money back and you got the best interest rate possible. A standard van is easy to care for, easy to lock and a Butler can be run after hours 100% secure. These are just my thoughts on starting out with everything you need in one shot, so you can really just focus on marketing.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
What Jim Davisson said! Don't blow all your money on all that stuff. Get a Butler, get some classes under your belt and you'll do fine.
I started off with a used pick up truck and a portable less then 8 years ago. You don't need to blow your inheritance like that buddy.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Also, the sharks will be on this thread soon. They just want your money. You'll know who they are by the fact they'll be selling you their classes or their equipment or their chemicals. Keep that in mind.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
agree with johnny the sharks are circling....

i would also suggest not quoting this 300k number when talking to distributers....

its like going into a car dealer and telling them you have 300k for car expense....

they will make sure you have spent it before you leave........

trust me you can spend it a whole lot faster than you can make it.......

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Make sure this is the business you want to be in. Hard manual labor, extremely competitive, and most areas a saturated market.

Not to sound like a downer but 300k you have a lot of options.

Remember passive income is worth far more than non passive, and quoted from Warren Buffett himself owner operating a small labor business is the hardest toughest way to make an income.

Non passive manual labor income, trading wear/tear on your body for $, is essentially the worst type of income from a business stand point. It is rewarding at times however.

300k could easily set you up with a near passive income business, even a turn key franchise.

Just weigh your options is my honest advice

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
remember whether you buy TM carpet cleaning equipment or portable, or water damage equipment, vans......

it will be worth half after it leaves your drive way

carpet cleaning business/restorations:
these are the hardest market to break into:
- homes(can take 2-5 years)
- - water damage(2-5 years)
these are the easiest to break into:
- hotels, apartments
- resturants
- theaters and other commercial

WESTEX CLEANING

Sep 2, 2019
Real Name
Michael Olson
What Jim Davisson said! Don't blow all your money on all that stuff. Get a Butler, get some classes under your belt and you'll do fine.
I started off with a used pick up truck and a portable less then 8 years ago. You don't need to blow your inheritance like that buddy.
Thanks Jim & Johnny
I have passed all my IICRC classes for carpet and stone and restoration next week I'm Learning how to dying carpet and patch work repair I'm going to take a look at butler are the classes on TMF any good seen a few post that say not so much

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Butlers are really solid machines. I've seen a lot still running from the 90s-early 00s. Good heat, very controllable and can do warm or fully cold water as needed. Lots of options for truck styles and accessories. I was never a huge fan of their chemicals but they work well, just really pricey for what you get.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
butlers.....you like them or you dont....!!!!

positive:
around for 30 years....
easy to start
small footprint....
good resale????

negative:
loud - inadequate silencer for blower
no local distributer support- difficult to work on
heat - inadequate heat for many????
located in massachusetts...long way from texas
EXPENSIVE - 75-80k...????....for full setup
van and tm are 1 - if van is out TM is out

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
butlers.....you like them or you dont....!!!!

positive:
around for 30 years....
easy to start
small footprint....
good resale????

negative:
loud - inadequate silencer for blower
no local distributer support- difficult to work on
heat - inadequate heat for many????
located in massachusetts...long way from texas
EXPENSIVE - 75-80k...????....for full setup
van and tm are 1 - if van is out TM is out
I believe they have full support from any jon don but I could be mistaken. I've seen many butlers at our local distributors.

Imo the best selling points of the butler is the turn key fully built van shelves and all ready to work, the reliability, and their lease program.

The negatives are that your choice of van is limited, it's either a Chevy Express or a really expensive box truck option.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The Chevy express was slated to go away in 2020 last I heard. No worries as they support legacy machines for 25+ years. They have an impressive facility and all installations are factory only, so pretty much everyone is built on a Wednesday...

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
like i said kinda like the patriots...
you really like them or you really dont....

these are specs:????
- low vacuum- 70% of capacity at best....
- loud !!!!!!
- heat is not impressive...unless changed recently

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Butler's have plenty of vacuum to single wand, heat up to 230°ish with the blower heat exchanger option and about as loud as my CDS or the Cleanco Quad 56 I'm running now. For mowing down commercial with 2 guys wanding it's not the setup, just like 95% of the TM's on the market. Will it do a fantastic job single wanding in any environment, absolutely.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
like i said kinda like the patriots...
you really like them or you really dont....

these are specs:????
- low vacuum- 70% of capacity at best....
- loud !!!!!!
- heat is not impressive...unless changed recently
They have several options for vacuum and heat. The high heat and high vac butlers are pretty impressive. I think the option is 45 vs 47 blower and the high heat models have an extra heat exchanger.

For a lease it's great but if I was paying $1000/month an aero tech is only a little bit more to lease and so much more impressive, plus the truck has a ton more room for CRBs, tile gear, fans etc

Also much better advertising space