Starting business how do i compete | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Starting business how do i compete

Richstrmiska

Jun 19, 2019
Real Name
Rich strmiska
Just starting out I've got a few jobs here and there but wondering how do I compete with the spray and suck guys that are only charging 80$ for 3 rooms.....

• Wow
Reactions: Odin

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Just starting out I've got a few jobs here and there but wondering how do I compete with the spray and suck guys that are only charging 80$ for 3 rooms.....
There are multiple levels of competition.
Price paid is just one of them.
This is the Walmart mentality; price is all that matters.
Typically these are the exact customers you don't want.

Then there are value based customers who will pay more because they look for the best value for money.
This can be your personality, appearence, attention to detail, high quality workmanship etc.
These customers are harder to find because they tend to be loyal to their service providers, but they are the best customers to have.

Starting out you have to sell your differences and market your business to higher end clientele.
Use the cheap customers to practice your craftsmanship.
Learn how to get great results and exceed expectations.

Then your confidence will increase which means selling yourself will be easier.

The down side of higher end customers is you can't b/s them and the extra details like corner guards, floor protection, clean cut appearance etc really matter.

When you do break into the desired market, ask for referrals and reviews.

Good luck!

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I agree with all of the above. Your heads above the rest already because you are watching this board which will help you a great deal.

If I can add my 2 cents worth, i would not worry about what others are charging because in reality, the price the ADVERTISE is not the price they actually CHARGE. Once you clean after a few of those guys, the customer will always tell you that they paid a lot more than what the coupon said.

So concentrate on YOUR business. Figure out what your expenses are, add your desired profit and that will give you the rate you will need to stay in business. Then market, market, market. Carpet stores, realtors, 5 arounds, postcards. But heres the key and DONT FORGET THIS!!! you will get busy at some point. when this happens make sure you CONTINUE to market as if you dont have any jobs. Most new companies that start go out and market their services, then get busy and slack off on marketing. When the jobs from the first marketing campaign slow down, they soon realize that they need to market and it becomes a continuous cycle.

hope that helps

Reactions: J20770

Richstrmiska

Jun 19, 2019
Real Name
Rich strmiska
I do know that I have to start marketing more and actually getting out and hitting business and dropping off cards. I have learned alot from this board I myself used to think carpet cleaning was just spraying and sucking. Carpets wet all day the guy I used to help used simple green. I have a full time job but would like to someday have cleaning be my full time job.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I do know that I have to start marketing more and actually getting out and hitting business and dropping off cards. I have learned alot from this board I myself used to think carpet cleaning was just spraying and sucking. Carpets wet all day the guy I used to help used simple green. I have a full time job but would like to someday have cleaning be my full time job.
Well what you put into it is what you’re going to get out of it.

If you treat it as a hobby it won’t produce

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Well what you put into it is what you’re going to get out of it.

If you treat it as a hobby it won’t produce
Nothing wrong with starting p/t though. Learn and apply your knowledge.
Clean all your friends & family.

But one day you will face the cliff of courage.
This is the big leap of faith that we have all taken.

That's when you quit your job and jump.
Fear then becomes a great motivator and you will have to hustle to make it work.

Keep studying in this forum, there is so much accumulated wisdom here it's amazing.

One more tip; save at least 3 months of bill money, preferably more because inevitably you will flounder for a while when you jump.