Starting a business at 52, too old? in Suwanee GA

michaelscai

Mar 19, 2023
Real Name
Michael Cai
Would I be too old to start this business at 52? thinking of hiring one or two people but sometimes going out on a job on my own.. I'm generally fit, have been doing real estate and IT work, but want to get out of the rat race.. what's realistic annual net income doing this? I'm in Suwanee GA, suburb of Atlanta..

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Would I be too old to start this business at 52? thinking of hiring one or two people but sometimes going out on a job on my own.. I'm generally fit, have been doing real estate and IT work, but want to get out of the rat race.. what's realistic annual net income doing this? I'm in Suwanee GA, suburb of Atlanta..
Hey there, you make this plan sound so easy. The age is only number, as real estate agent current, former) you should have enough contacts to go ahead and start the business. How will you manage the business and delegate without learning the ins and outs first? Walking into a customer's home comes with great responsibility. Not only do you have to protect their home (placing floor coverings, corner guards), you need to assess what chemistry and tools and the method to use. Before you ask how much I can make, you must answer what services and quality you will offer. So the short answer would be to learn the theory first, ask for a ride-along second and then come up with a business plan if you think this business is for you. Imagine going to a fast food restaurant to get a burger.
You have to start the car, drive the car, decide on what you want to eat, place an order, pick up the good, go back inside the restaurant because they gave you the wrong food,
eat the food, digest it, and then fall asleep because you overindulge. Getting one burger requires many steps.
Forget the burgers; you have to start a business. Do you want to rephrase your question?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’m 52 and have been doing this for 30 years now. 52 is not too old to start but there are some things to keep in mind. This is a physical job that puts a lot of wear on your body. I still do just fine cleaning but I’ll admit I’ve slowed down compared to when I was in my 20’s and 30’s.

Probably the most important thing in this business that gets overlooked a lot of times is “back up”. What will you do when the time comes, and it will come, that you are not able to work for a week or a month? I’ve had two times in the last 7 years that I was hospitalized and down for about 2 months both times. The first time I was a one man, one van operation and when I was unable to work I had to shut the business down. That really hurt considering I am the sole income for our family.

The second time in 2020 when I was hospitalized I had hired an employee and bought a second van. While I was down my employee was able to keep the business running. I handled the phones and scheduling while my employee did all the work. Having the second van proved invaluable too as one of my vans went down while I was out. Since I had backup equipment and an employee as a backup the business survived my absence.

As you start your business I’d recommend hiring at least one part time helper. He doesn’t have to be on every job with you but get him trained so he can fill in when you are not available. At this point in my business I have 3 trucks and 5 employees. I have one full time employee and 4 part time ones. I’ve found hiring 2 part time people to be a greater benefit than hiring 1 full time. If one needs a day off the other can work and when one ends up quitting you aren’t left hanging dry with no help.

Learn all you can before starting up. TMF is a great resource. One thing I’ve learned in this business is there’s always more to learn. Even after 30 years I still learn new things all the time. This is a great industry to be in with a lot of support.

Good luck!

Reactions: Luky