Started walking... Does adding weights do anything? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Started walking... Does adding weights do anything?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Lol I'm either going to hear jeers or crickets.

So trying to take the fitness up a notch by pavement pounding at a fairly brisk pace.

Anyway, my legs are already massive from years of bike riding, calf raises/squats from when I was a young wart hog. My arms not so much. I wondering if I add arm weights if they will do anything other than wear me out faster? It just seems like my arms aren't doing anything while I walk.

Reactions: keep it clean

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Depends what your goal is Mike. I was gonna start a thread today on shipped meal kits. Thought some of you might be interested. This was today's meal. Chicken and Nectarine Panzanella.

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1468991859.992030.jpg

Reactions: Mike Krall

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
depends on your age and your fitness goal.
Over the hill.

Need to drop another 30-40 pounds. So that's my primary goal, but developing muscle mass to assist when I get to be an old goat is a secondary goal.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Depends what your goal is Mike. I was gonna start a thread today on shipped meal kits. Thought some of you might be interested. This was today's meal. Chicken and Nectarine Panzanella.

View attachment 66113
Cool Jose, I've been curious about those kits for a while now.

Is that the total quantity of the meal in the picture?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Yeah, adding weights makes it a lot harder to walk. :D

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Over the hill.

Need to drop another 30-40 pounds. So that's my primary goal, but developing muscle mass to assist when I get to be an old goat is a secondary goal.
check your level of stomach acid if it'slow compensate it. That will help you loose weight gain energy and build muscle. I'm concentrating in balance and fitness not muscle gain

earl804

May 16, 2014
York PA
www.susclean.com
Real Name
alex c
Business Location
United States
If you carry small weights (5lbs-10lbs) and perform var exercises with them while you walk, you def will work your arms shoulders and get the heart rate up more

In addition, tweaks to your nutrition will be huge - check out myfitnesspal website/app its super easy just log each meal and your exercise. Do it for a month and monitor weight you will drop

I dropped 50 lbs 4 years ago using this app and adding exercise and the nutrition part of it was 80% of the reason behind my weight loss

Ive picked up a few lbs since im getting back into it, need to lose 10 lbs to get back where i want

Reactions: Scott W

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Lol I'm either going to hear jeers or crickets.

So trying to take the fitness up a notch by pavement pounding at a fairly brisk pace.

Anyway, my legs are already massive from years of bike riding, calf raises/squats from when I was a young wart hog. My arms not so much. I wondering if I add arm weights if they will do anything other than wear me out faster? It just seems like my arms aren't doing anything while I walk.

When I would walk, I would do arm / shoulder exercisers.

I extended arms straight out to my side, level with shoulders, no weights. I would make big circles forwards with my hands, over head and to hips, 20 times, rolling shoulders with arms too, if I had the energy, 5 sets going forwards and 5 sets going backwards. Some times small circles too with arms and shoulders
Roll head, neck each way 20 times, and side to side, Isometrics. This can make you very dizzy, head rolls.

I also did a clapping set 5 times. Clap hands over head and be hind back.
Then I would do a power push and pull. Push hands open palm going forwards, grab air, rotate hand and pull back, your hands straight out in front of you. Also doing this at same time twisting waist and pulling back while trying to keep the motion in rhythm with each step. the push pull is like a flexing of the muscles with no weights. Isometrics that's is where you push and pull the waist, torso, thighs, back. Very difficult and very fast. You will need to walk slower to keep up, depending on how much energy you want to use doing the push pull exercise.

It is best to start out slow, like add a new set every month or regulate your own isometrics. Always move your arms in a normal way when waling. you can also flex / rotate your writs, hands, fingers as you walk.
Also walk 10 minutes before and after doing this walking system. do some stretching and maybe sit ups and push ups if you really want to buff up.

I did this when I walked. Took 1 to 2 hours most times, some time I would run or sprint a bit.

Last edited:

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
You won't build arm strength from this.
The pressure it will put on your lower back because of the foriegn weight added in an awkward spot really increases the threat of irritating yer back.
I would simply do a upper body weight regimen a few times per week.

I like back and bis , chest and tris , shoulders in three successive workouts.

As far as losing weight, nothing will get you there like changing your dietary intake.
Lean meat and vegetables...
Avoid starches.
It ain't rocket surgery

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
if you want to work out other muscle groups while out on walk. Get a watch with interval timer. set it for idk say example 5 minutes so you walk or jog for 5. Then next iterval could be 30 seconds. at the beep drop and do pushups until it beeps and so on. just examples. I used interval timer to break into running because I sucked at it. it helped slowly get me into it without killing my shins. I use to mix up intervals with crunches then pushups. if I timed it right ide reach the bleachers before the beep so I could do pull ups. Just some ideas. But I agree with mike. work out your upper body with the weights at home. Don't carry them out walking.

Sent from my SM-G900T using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: Mike Krall

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
My workouts take about 25 minutes.
My diet is clean from M-F but I eat pretty much what I want without going overboard on the weekends.
At 51, my waist is 32 inches and my neck is still as wide as my head (and I've got a big-ass head)
Nothing I do is difficult to duplicate

This pic was taken about a week ago.

Attachments

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
check your level of stomach acid if it'slow compensate it. That will help you loose weight gain energy and build muscle. I'm concentrating in balance and fitness not muscle gain
Need a doctor's visit to check that? Mine should be good, I put lots of lemon in my water.

Reactions: Pinosan

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
You won't build arm strength from this.
The pressure it will put on your lower back because of the foriegn weight added in an awkward spot really increases the threat of irritating yer back.
I would simply do a upper body weight regimen a few times per week.

I like back and bis , chest and tris , shoulders in three successive workouts.

As far as losing weight, nothing will get you there like changing your dietary intake.
Lean meat and vegetables...
Avoid starches.
It ain't rocket surgery
You do that workout in 25 mins?

I guess I'll just focus on cardio/weight loss now. Hit the gym later.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Need a doctor's visit to check that? Mine should be good, I put lots of lemon in my water.
check out this video it's very important to know why you can't loose weigth even though you eat rigth. fix your digestive system if not working well.
eat right rest enough. weigh goes away by itself. Of course if you at least jog or walk every day.

Reactions: CCWorks

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
Mr Krall,

I don't think more light aerobic exercise will change your body. Your job is a higher level of aerobic exercise than walking---and you get plenty of it.

Camacho, Jose and I went rounds on this a while back.

Camacho does lots of High intensity workouts.

My belief is your diet needs to change--just a little

and just a couple 30 minute high intensity workouts a week will significantly change your body.

Most people in the USA get 50% or more of our calories from liquids... Beer, Coke, juices. A solid move to water and a little drop in evening (right before bed) treats can make a huge difference.