Stair Cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Stair Cleaning

MD'z Floors & More

Apr 1, 2013
Real Name
Quintin Riley
What psi do you clean stairs? Do you leave it same as carpet or you turn pressure down??

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
I'll leave it the same psi. Stairs can have a lot more soil than other areas because sometimes they are the transition from hard surface to the carpet.

Reactions: MD'z Floors & More

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
Hey Mike, which spotter did you use on that cussion in the upholstry video.
I didn't watch his upholstery video but generally, I'll use fels naptha and rub it in. Rinse out after a bit.
Or I'll use my pre spray in a trigger sprayer (4oz to a 24oz bottle)
Spray, scrub away with a towel, especially the edges and rinse in any way that I can.

Reactions: Omar

KristyRodriguez

Oct 27, 2014
Real Name
KristyRodriguez
I simply use a handheld vacuum that has a brush or hose attachment to suck up the dirt you have loosened up. It helps to clean stairs in a right way.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I'll leave it the same psi. Stairs can have a lot more soil than other areas because sometimes they are the transition from hard surface to the carpet.
Also when you are walking up stairs vs a regular floor you walk differently. By that I mean this...when you walk across the floor your feet brush against the surface of the floor more and when you walk up the stairs your feet have to push downward more. Therefore pushing the soil deeper as well. I don't think I have ever seen stairs less soiled than even adjoining carpet. However you are correct that any carpet that meets a hard surface will accept all the soil which the hard surface rejects due to it's inability to hold it.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Also when you are walking up stairs vs a regular floor you walk differently. By that I mean this...when you walk across the floor your feet brush against the surface of the floor more and when you walk up the stairs your feet have to push downward more. Therefore pushing the soil deeper as well. I don't think I have ever seen stairs less soiled than even adjoining carpet. However you are correct that any carpet that meets a hard surface will accept all the soil which the hard surface rejects due to it's inability to hold it.
I think another difference is people skip vacuuming stairs altogether. Or do it poorly and infrequently.

Reactions: LookNGood

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Fels , these days is the first thing that I try. Works 91.4% of the time. ;)
The only other spotters I carry are citrus gel, OMS and whink.
I like my napping shears and my switchblade also. Great all around tools.
Its always that 8.6% that gets me too.