Stains you just can't get out.... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Stains you just can't get out....

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I did a job today that had a few urine stains, and a couple bigger brown stains that I could not get out. I use urine rescue on the urine stains, and have had really good luck in the past. Why couldn't I get any noticeable difference in the stains today? It was almost like I did nothing to try and get the stains out. On the brown stains, I tried almost every spotter I have in my prochem spotter bag, and also could not get any results. Is it a result of a homeowner that has already tried to clean the stains? What causes the stains to become permanent? I give it 100% everyday, and when I get results like this, it really frustrates me. I want to get every stain out, but obviously that's not going to be possible!

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Most of the stains that do not come out for me are a cause from somebody using a chemical that "sets" the stain. Making it permanent. I can sometimes pick them out bc they have foam coming out where the person has rubbed something in.

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
I did a job today that had a few urine stains, and a couple bigger brown stains that I could not get out. I use urine rescue on the urine stains, and have had really good luck in the past. Why couldn't I get any noticeable difference in the stains today? It was almost like I did nothing to try and get the stains out. On the brown stains, I tried almost every spotter I have in my prochem spotter bag, and also could not get any results. Is it a result of a homeowner that has already tried to clean the stains? What causes the stains to become permanent? I give it 100% everyday, and when I get results like this, it really frustrates me. I want to get every stain out, but obviously that's not going to be possible!
Some stains don't come out.

Some do. Keep reading and doing research every time you come across something that doesn't come out immediately. You will eventually learn what works and what doesn't.

This just takes time. How long have you been cleaning carpets?

I've been doing it 8 years and still come across stuff that I can't get out.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I am pretty new Andrew. I think this part time a few years back, and now I have been in it full time for a couple months now.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Did you try stain magic or similar after extraction?

If the urine has been there along time untreated it can burn itself in or browned. Along with resolve or whatever homeowner has tried already.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Urein becomes very alkaline as it decomposes to ammonia. This can actually remove color from some carpet. Yellow is the most durable color and the hardest to remove. Sometimes what looks like a urine stain is really a loss of the other colors except yellow. Only spot dye would put the color back.

Stains that have been englected for a long time, continue to damage the fiber and get deeper into the fiber. That may be very difficult to remove. Urine Stain Remover can take out the yellow color but may also remove other dyes that have been damaged by the urine. Be careful. Test a small area for results.

StainZONE or similar oxidizers can work well and be a bit safer than USR.

USe of protector does not prevent urine stains but it helps make urine stains easier to remove. Encourage your clients to apply protector ona regular basis.

If you would like a copy of my training manual dealing with pet urien, just ask. Send an email request to [email protected]

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Always advise in pre interview about urine damaging the actual dye. Do your best but cover yourself before hand. I like usr with hydrocide for post treat. stain magic or anything that is a strong h2o2. When they say will that come out. I say it may already have come out. meaning the dye.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I have a similar situation on Saturday. Lady says her cat puked in hallway. She says it's getting darker. I asked if she has tried cleaning it. She said yes. With resolve. Ahhhh damn that resolve crap. If it's not oxi clean it's resolve. We installed this carpet and warned them never to use those products. It's olefin berber so well see on saturday.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
Thanks guys for the feedback! What is in resolve that has a tendacy to set the stains? Why do these products make it harder for us to remove the stains?

CcCleaner

Jul 28, 2011
ma
Real Name
Cole Clifford
Business Location
United States
Does anyone use powdered coffee stain remover for brown and yellow stains? It works great but smells as bad as you can imagine. All the big brands have their own version

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

Some stains will be permanent no matter what you try. I will add to the above comments that the freshness of particularly peroxide based products is more crucial than most other stain removal products. It's possible your Urine Rescue has lost some potency. Some home owners will reach for anything they can get their hands on to treat a stain, sometimes with very bad results. I've seen a few doozies. One guy decided to mix Mean Grean with chlorine bleach to get rid of some stains. Not only did he remove all the color from the carpet he got a quick trip to the emergency room from inhaling the gases that were produced from that mixture. Many people will grab a laundry stain remover, Windex, Resolve, and a host of other products to try and remove a stain. Some stains require a pretty specific stain removal product or they just ain't comin out, period.

Stains that have been left for months, even years, often have either had an attempted removal or they've been cleaned over by someone, could be the home owner or another cleaner, and left, which can also contribute to setting the stain in. Many, many carpets out there had pretty good stain resistance when they were put down 5, 10, 15, or more years ago. Now, that stain resistance may be mostly or completely depleted. I've seen many carpets with ZERO stain resistance because they never were properly cared for so obviously it's going to be easier for a stain to set on those. It's normally much easier to remove a fresh stain than an old one. By the time we get to it the stain is often months or years old!!! It's a miracle we can get out some of the ones we do and that's only because of some of the great products at our disposal. Of course knowing which product for what stain can be a bit tricky at times.

One last thing, if you don't actually use things like your urine stain remover often you might want to keep it out of the van preferably in as cool an area as possible. Much more than a year and I'd toss it if it's not working. The clock is ticking on those products.

Last edited: