Stained concrete

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1426183060.661900.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1426183161.610494.jpg

I was asked to look at this. Somebody else did this and the owner is not happy. The question is when I strip this will I damage the stain or will I be alright?

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
Still researching, the owner doesn't know if a wax or sealer was put down after the stain. Says he will try and find out. The stain color is Amish Amber.
In one room there are foot prints all over a 10+10 area. (Dont have a pic, sry).
Just worried about stain loss if I strip this with stripper. I did a search here on TMF, found a few good courses of action to take, just need to test first.

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
The stain should be fine since the stain penetrates the concrete unlike the topical that was applied. You may have to respin that with diamonds to get the sheen as close to perfect as possible. A little hard to tell from the pics.
I'm also thinking this route also, strip the topical and then spend some time with diamond pads.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
If it was acid stained; you might be able to strip it but if it is a topical stain you won't. You might want to consider dry stripping it and see how that does. You could finish with a metal interlock finish. Spartan has some good stuff.

Reflections138

Nov 21, 2014
East Texas
Real Name
Jacob Simpson
Business Location
United States
View attachment 45242View attachment 45243
I was asked to look at this. Somebody else did this and the owner is not happy. The question is when I strip this will I damage the stain or will I be alright?
Do a test area!!!! If it was stained with an acid stain you'll be fine. If it was a water base stain it can all bleed out! I just ran into this problem in December.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
My take, having done a number of different stained floors, some stained, densified, then ground to a polish: some leveled, stained, sealed with Glaze and Seal 2000 and post coated with a concrete acrylic "sacrificial" sealer....is to reseal the floor with an acrylic lacquer like Glaze and Seal mixed wth about 30% lacquer thinner for the base coat...definitely no smoking, all pilots out and great ventilation. It'll disappear into the concrete and barely leave a film. The second and third coats is Glaze and Seal 2000 undiluted. Then Three coats for Buckeye Proclaim concrete finish. Prochem can be cleaned, buffed, and reapplied to fill scratches. It lasts for years and is relatively inexpensive at around $30 a gallon.

Acid stains, like Scofield, can be reapplied where the finish is thin, but only if the floor is thoroughly stripped. One test is to spray the floor lightly with water and see if there's any beading. where there's water beading, there's still some impediment to even staining.

Jerry etheridge

Dec 1, 2008
cal
Real Name
jerry etheridge
Still researching, the owner doesn't know if a wax or sealer was put down after the stain. Says he will try and find out. The stain color is Amish Amber.
In one room there are foot prints all over a 10+10 area. (Dont have a pic, sry).
Just worried about stain loss if I strip this with stripper. I did a search here on TMF, found a few good courses of action to take, just need to test first.
The stain was put down first . Try some of your stripper at full strength and let it set there you know if the stain is coming off

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
Update, the owners business partner is a general contractor and this is how they want it done. Topical only do to the cold weather we get here in pa, says with an impregnating stain it can freeze and will crack the top of concrete. Makes sense to me.
Anyways wants me to do a deep scrub and then reapply topical stain, once dry wants a poly designed for concrete put down with an anti slip grit mixed in.
Any thoughts?